Help Needed! When is it time......to decide the ever hardest decision to put to sleep

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
Ok so I still Hope the stray who landed in my yard in September... Well she's been on car proven and joint supplements and eats her blue buffalo. Before she would scurry to me when I got home would play the pouncing game with me come anytime I called her..... For the past few months we've noticed she will only come when it's feeding time even then sometimes I have to beg her. She sleeps all day and night seems like. We've found her sleeping on the couch or my sons bed (his is low to the ground) she drags her hind legs to get up or if she's in a Sit she drags herself to turn around. She doesn't like me messing with one of her hind legs. I try to stretch it gently while I massage it. I've noticed a few times in the morning she has pooped during her sleep just a Twinkie size nugget. She's had a few accidents in the house lately. And she's also gotten a few soft lumps on her one on her hind area and one on her front foot near where her dew claw would be. She definitely doesn't play with me (not that she really did before) but all she does is lay there on blankets. We've resulted in taking two of the couch cushions and made them into a bed for her on the floor.
My husband has talk to me about that maybe we would need to put her down, and at times I agree when she's really struggling but times when she wags her stubby tail when I hold her head in my lap makes me think she can live longer.... I know this isn't the easiest subject and I see rescues who save dogs with broken legs and they recover perfectly but I truly don't know her history before she found us so its hard to determine if she was even cared for At one time..... Any advice tips suggestions your own opinion I WOULD greatly appreciate. I do know that if its in her best interest to be laid to rest I know I Gave her the best life she deserved while she was with us.

Thanks in advance

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
I have had to put 2 of our pets down in the last few years. its never a good feeling. its so hard to let go of them, but there comes a time where its only option.
Best bet would be take her down for an X-ray and they can tell you how bad it is and if there are any options.

Good Luck to you

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I have had to put two dogs down in the past 9 years. When did I know it was time? When their eyes look at you and
" tell" you " I am in pain", or "I have no quality of life". It is the hardest decision you will ever make, and the saddest one. I felt I owed it to my dogs to put my feelings aside and do what is best for them. When a dog is in pain, they can't tell us. They become quiet, listless and inactive. But you can see it in their eyes. I don't know how old Hope is, or what her history is, but it sounds like a trip to the vet and a good heart to heart are in order. Good luck and I will say a prayer for you and Hope!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
How ever she lets you know and when ever you make that decision all I ask is that you don't leave her pass alone. go with her and hold her head so she has no fear and can rest easy forever knowing you loved her. you won't regret it

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It is never easy to let one go, but you will know in your heart when the time is, and you will see it in her eyes when it's time for her to go. Plus as [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] said, please go with her and be with her, so she can have some comfort and peace before she goes. This is when we have to put their feelings and what's best for them above our feelings. Our thoughts are with you.

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
MAY I GO - by Susan A. Jackson

Do you think the time is right? May I say goodbye to pain filled days and endless lonely nights?

I’ve lived my life and done my best, an example tried to be. So can I take that step beyond, and set my spirit free?

I didn’t want to go at first, I fought with all my might. But something seems to draw me now to a warm and loving light.

I want to go, I really do; it’s difficult to stay. But I will try as best I can to live just one more day.

To give you time to care for me and share your love and fears. I know you’re sad and afraid, because I see your tears.

I’ll not be far, I promise that, and hope you’ll always know, that my spirit will be close to you wherever you may go.

Thank you so for loving me. You know I love you too, and that’s why it’s hard to say goodbye and end this life with you.

So hold me now just one more time and let me hear you say, because you care so much for me, you’ll let me go today.

She will let you know, when to help her gain her wings. Praying for your strength.
~~~

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you for taking her in and giving her a home, care, kindness & love.

GOD looks and sees these sacrifices and is aware of yours, may you be blessed!

I will keep all of you & Hope in my prayers...it's never easy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I will only say -- I agree with the other posts. My thoughts and prayers are with you to help give you the strength you need regardless of the decision or time that it comes.

:hug:

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
Thank you everyone, I've never been in this situation before. Today when I got home she greeted me with love and the look of I have a little more time left. I promise you all along with myself and for Hope to be there for her last breath even when I'm balling my eyes out. I'm definitely going to take her to the vet and get X-ray to see how bad her hips are and see how much pain it's actually causing her. I'll keep everyone posted after her X-ray next week. Until her time comes she'll be spoiled rotten. She's going to get pampered this weekend and hopefully it'll make her feel a little bit better...
Thank you everyone and please keep us in your prayers....

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Im sorry you have to deal with this and it must be so hard! I will be thinking of you and Hope and when that time comes you will know in your gut you will know its time.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have also dealt with this too many times. She was sent to you for a reason. You know that right? To give her love and a family to help her on her journey. Love her..she will let you know. As Sherry said, you must be with her as she crosses the bridge. Shes been alone too much and you will be forever grateful to her. She's teaching you..:hug:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Great advice from everybody, tears running down my face right now, when I read the poem, so beautiful . It is a hard decision, but you will know and can make that decision with your vet when the time comes. I had a jack Russell who died 2 years ago, she was 14 years old, and she had cancer in the end. My vet said it would come down to her quality of life, and if she was suffering. She lived for almost another year

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
We had to put our family beagle down a couple months ago. She was 12 and her hips were really bad and she developed a tumor in one of her nipples. It got to the point were she couldn't walk up the stairs. She would always hide under the bed. She was disassociating herself with us. We knew. It was the hardest thing ever but you will know. Good luck.

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
My heart goes out to you. I'm currently going through this process myself with my shepherd/lab mix. It's heartbreaking to think about and the worse decision to have to make. That poem that was posted was beautiful. It made me cry.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.