URGENT!!! Chin rash? Allergic RX?

Mogleebear

Jun 4, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Moglee
Little, well not so little anymore, Moglee has developed some pretty bad chin sores (see attached pictures). I have done my fair share of research via EBN & the internet and am starting to get worried. I understand that it could very well be acne as he's growing just like a teen. Knowing so, though, I am beginning to worry more now that this condition has gotten worse and bled last night. Should I just give up and call the vet now or keep trying the home remedies still? :blink:

FYI:
9 months old

Never changed water/food bowl since we brought him home (ceramic)

Started with Nutro ULTRA puppy when he was a young pup (Vet recommended us to change to ULTRA large breed puppy; been on this for the pas 4 months)

Cut out his "active" toys (soccer & tennis ball)

Limited chew toy time (Nyla-bone Chicken-flavored) *possible culprit?*

Limited grass time while on walks

Mouth & chin are wiped when possible after meals/drinking

Same shampoo since a young pup (oatmeal soothing)

image_1.jpgimage.jpg

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Hershey is the same age, and having the same issue - we had him to the vet last month, and they put him on Antibiotics for a month - (Cefpodoxime 200mg 1/2 tablet once a day) Its REALLY helping with his Chin, he's not bleeding and having the ugly looking 'whiteheads' that are all red and sore looking.

We use Stainless steel bowls and keep them clean, it seems to help alot!

As a kid, I remember other kids with Acne being put on Tetracycline (sp?)

Sunny girl

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Jakob
It sounds like a Bacteria infection to me. How often do you wash Moglees water and feed bowl? Also hypoallergenic baby wipes with aloe are good to use after every meal and water..

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
i swear by Duoxo wipes. When I first see signs of a rash on Jake's chin..I use in am and pm. Ina few days, I see a difference and soon they are gone.

One precaution tho..Allergies or sensitivity to their food, can develop anytime. Even after being on same food..

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tate gets this every so often as well. Sometimes the pustules will even pop and bleed :( Doctor has issued antibiotics in the past which cleared them up. I'd suggest to talk to your vet about it b/c you don't want it to get to the point where it's a very bad infection.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
When ours had it we would just keep it clean and dry and put a little Neosporin on it.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
When Brutus had this the vet prescribed animax ointment (panalog) and it cleared right up! We also took the grains out of his diet as well and went grain free :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
yes Duke would get these too. WE would put neosporin on them.. also try a steel bowl? and no plastic anything.. no toys or bowls.. he is adorable!!! :luv:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I would recommend switching to a stainless bowl. Ceramic bowls can hold bacteria in them, that being said Bacon had very bad acne from about 6-11 months of age. He would go through good and bad spurts just like a teenager. He is now a little over 1 and will get one very randomly but nothing like when he was younger.

Deanna1489

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Otis gets a break out from time to time but it usually clears up on it's own. There was one time it got really bad and I took him to the vet. The meds cleared it up asap. Of course who can run to the vet every time they get a zit.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola had chin acne when she developed a chicken allergy. we cut chicken out and kept the chin dry but they still bled. never came back tho...i'm certain it was the allergy and it was one of the first reactions that we noticed, along with licking paws, tears

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Little, well not so little anymore, Moglee has developed some pretty bad chin sores (see attached pictures). I have done my fair share of research via EBN & the internet and am starting to get worried. I understand that it could very well be acne as he's growing just like a teen. Knowing so, though, I am beginning to worry more now that this condition has gotten worse and bled last night. Should I just give up and call the vet now or keep trying the home remedies still? :blink:

FYI:
9 months old

Never changed water/food bowl since we brought him home (ceramic)

Started with Nutro ULTRA puppy when he was a young pup (Vet recommended us to change to ULTRA large breed puppy; been on this for the pas 4 months)

Cut out his "active" toys (soccer & tennis ball)

Limited chew toy time (Nyla-bone Chicken-flavored) *possible culprit?*

Limited grass time while on walks

Mouth & chin are wiped when possible after meals/drinking

Same shampoo since a young pup (oatmeal soothing)

View attachment 35072View attachment 35073

Dublin has so many allergies and her chin is always an issue. My vet gave us a prescription for Mupirocin Ointment. It is a "human ointment" so you can only get it on prescription at the pharmacy. It is expensive but excellent and you only use a small amount. My vet has been treating bullies for over 30 years
While the oatmeal can be mild and sooting I suggest using Zymox Shampoo. Our new bullie Tio came to us as a rescue 2 months ago with a yellow nasty coat ( He is battling a staph) infection and today his coat is white and shiny and his skin looking good and gettting healthy. I have used the Zymox on Dublin forever and I swear by it. Not harsh at all. good luck and I would talk to your vet about these two products especially the Mupirocin.

OP
M

Mogleebear

Jun 4, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Moglee
Stainless bowls: Check

No plastic: check

Call the vet: tomorrow

What food do your guys recommend for a 9 month old bulldog with the Nutro ULTRA large breed puppy containing grain?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
HRH's chin acne improved just changing from ceramic to stainless steel water bowl. :yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.