Help Needed! Chronic chewer!!!

Mazza81

Sep 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Chuncho
Hey everyone hope your all well! I need help! My bulldog is just over 5 months and chews everything! She has a million toys but would rather chew our furniture! Her favorite is our new wooden table aargh! I've tried bitter apple spray and water with vinegar even straight vinegar and I swear it makes her chew more! Does anyone have a magic potion they recommend? I tell her no and sometimes put her in her crate for a time out but she still goes for gold any chance she gets! She just lost her last tooth so it's not teething. Please anyone help me lol

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Keep a can of coins around n when u notice her chewing shake them n tell her no. The coins scare them n get their attention so u r able to correct the behavior. Other than that idk really :( sry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KaidasMom

Jun 25, 2012
Anchorage, AK
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kaida
We wrapped the legs of our wooden chairs in tinfoil because when kaida was really small she was afraid of the noise tinfoil made when coming off the roll. We also line the floors behind our couches with it to deter her from going back there. Eventually we took the foil off and she just "grew out" of wanting to chew it.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake is a chewer and an eater and a swallower! Sadly.. the only sure fire thing I know is to isolate them from anything edible. The coins in a can will work for awhile! But if you aren't around..I think you have to contain her...:(

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
I was able to train Nihya to "leave it". Everytime she was about to chew on something in the house, I'd distract her with a quick firm tap to the neck and tell her "leave it." Bulldogs are stubborn so she would want to continue biting. Id keep tapping her until she got the idea, but only if she went to bite again. The trick to it all is consistency.

Now when she gets something in her mouth she's not supposed to have....i give her the stink eye and say "hey"....she's quick to drop it.

Your bullie might also have a lot of energy so takes to chewing. Maybe have your bully go outside to play or walk him/her to expend some of that energy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Ruckus will be 3 in Feb, and he still likes to chew in occasion. A quick et et noise with leave it works most of the time. When he takes something and runs we do " drop it " when he drops it without us taking it from him he gets a treat . This works but I think he takes something when he's in the mood for a treat. Boy does he love books right off the book shelf. 😮

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Try original listerine. I was told this in puppy class and I swear within a week she stopped chewing anything but her toys. She now 10months and doesn't chew anything but toys. When your bully chews things rub the listerine in his mouth and on whatever he isn't suppose to chew and tell him no. It should correct the behavior pretty fast. Duchess would literally start rolling around on the ground is was sooo funny and totally safe. Another option could be "the pet corrector" it's a red can that blows air. They hate it. It really worked getting in getting the chihuaha to stop trying to attack my bully so I'm sure it would help with chewing! Let's us know what works!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Jake is a chewer and an eater and a swallower! Sadly.. the only sure fire thing I know is to isolate them from anything edible. The coins in a can will work for awhile! But if you aren't around..I think you have to contain her...:(
I agree with Becky. We had to completely Ruggles proof the house--no throw pillows, no area rugs, etc. I was in hopes he would outgrow his chewing/shredding/ eating by 2 years old. He is 6 and will still chew/shred/eat if given the chance. We have a dozen nylabones that he chews on, so its not because he doesn't have enough to chew!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
20130108_164438.jpgI agree with Jakeisgreat; the only thing you can do is crate them when they are unsupervised and watch them and know what they are doing at all times, regardless. Amber is 14 months old and "had" graduated from her crate and had been doing great. I came home last Tuesday and the "Destroyer aka Amber" met me at the front door, she had been busy all day long with her new bed, just wanted to see what it was made of I guess. My point, I was a believer that once they stopped chewing they were good to go........Wrong! You never ever know when they are going to decide to chew on something; Amber will chew anything: shoes, curtains, wood, dolls, books, phones, it doesn't matter, if she can put it in her mouth she will chew it. Watch them, bully proof the house, and when you are not home......contain them. Good luck!!! 20130108_164423.jpg20130108_164411.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online