General Question How long to stay after a spay?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have heard contradicting things about this. My vet said he would keep Lola over night if I felt better about it that way or she could be dropped off at 7 am and picked up at 7 pm right before they close. What would be the best way? Part of me thinks to keep her there and let them watch her but another part of me thinks bringing her home and letting her rest in her own house with her own things is better. He did say that if she wasnt awake, eating, and at least went potty then they wouldnt let her go either. My vets office is also a animal ER and so someone is there all the time 24/7 if I did need something. What ya think?

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
When we had our pug spayed we picked her up the same day and looked after her at home, but I guess what ever you feel comfortable with is right. I didn't have little children to look after as well just my two pugs so it was probably easier for me. :)

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
@Ftse100-One of the reasons Im leaning towards bringing her home is because I know the tech that will watch her overnight will also have to watch over the other's that had surgery that day where if she was home with me I could be right by her the whole time but maybe im just being to careful and maybe its not as big of a deal as it seems now. I do have to admit the closer it comes the more nervous I get.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I think it's a individual decision. I had my Blossom spayed 3 months ago, as well as her cherry eye repaired at the same time. She was dropped off at 8 am, and the vet called me after the surgery to let me know how she did. I picked her up at 8 pm the same day. She did very well, she was a little sleepy, and a lot more cuddly than normal, and had to pee a lot more often due to the extra fluids and IV she had during surgery. When I brought her home , I let her lay with me, she was a little whinney the first night, but I don't think she was in any pain, she had pain medication before she left the vet office, and was sent home with 5 days worth of meds, she only needed 4 days, as she bounced back very quickly. The hardest part was keeping her quiet and from running or jumping for a week post surgery. She acted like she never had surgery. She was full of energy.

If you are comfortable taking her home and about taking care of her, then she should be fine with you and a little extra TLC from you. If the vet checks her out and she is doing fine,( shes awake, eating, peeing ) and he okays her to go home, then it should be fine, and like you said your vets office is also a animal ER office, so you have the comfort and option of knowing there is going to be someone there all night if something were to change and you had to take her back. If you don't feel comfortable, or you would feel better if she stayed overnight for observation, then that is okay too. It's your decision and she will be fine what ever you choose. Don't worry too much, I worried about Blossom and she did really well, and a week later I had my male Dozer neutered and he did just as well. I think we tend to worry too much, and they do quite well and are back to themselves before you know it. Good luck, and keep us posted on Lola's progress

lapforbulldogs

Jan 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Raisin and Churchill
Our vet always keeps spays overnight so they can have pain meds. (by syringe) Each vet is different though.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Your nomal [MENTION=3527]sweetp[/MENTION]easmom we all seem to worry too much and [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] said they do bounce back a lot quicker and I am sure if you choose to take her home at least you know if you have any worries you can call them as they are there 24/7. Good luck and keep us updated with Lola. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Do want you are most comfortable with.... both our bullies did stay over night just standard for our vet at the time.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I hate leaving my babies overnight. I HATE IT.

So I've done both but I feel, as long as the procedure goes well, dropping off in the AM and picking up the PM is the best. That way, you can take care of and spoil your baby while they recover. I've also had no issues with recovery for any of my dogs and I think being at home in their own place and bed avoids stress and helps them recover quicker.

For more invasive surgeries, I have left my bullies and we both lived. :)

stephayne

Sep 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Motley
Motley had hers done yesterday at 8am and was home doing well by 4, they called today to check on her but she has been doing great

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
she gets fixed next week and I go in the day before so I think im going to ask if I can come get her the same day later in the evening. As long as she is doing well anyway.

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
As everyone said - whatever you are most comfortable with.

Bacon was a 7am drop-off and we were able to pick him up by around 5pm later that day. He was so groggy and out of it from the pain meds but happy to have familiar surroundings and bully parent TLC. In fact he bounced back a little too well and we had a time on our hands trying to keep him chill and off furniture (no stairs/no jumping) - all he wanted to do was play!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our vet usually likes to keep them over night just to be on the safe side, but is sure is hard leaving them.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.