Help Needed! At my Wit's end!

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi All! I need some advice, my Winston's paws are not doing so good. In between some of his toes are red and two of them are a bit swollen (almost cyst like). They have been like this for a while now and the vet thought it was yeast. We have bought the medicated shampoo, tried the epsom salt, apple cider vinegar, I have even tried switching foods becuase I thought maybe it was a food allergy. Nothing is making it better!! It doesn't seem to bother him, but I feel bad. Any ideas?? Thanks!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh my , poor guy. It looks like you've tried all the usual remedies, medicated shampoos, and ACV, and food changes. I don't have any other suggestions to use, as I haven't had to deal with this yet. Hopefully someone else who has will come along shortly to offer some advice and suggestions. What does your vet suggest for yeast, and has he 100 % diagnosed it as yeast? Did he do a skin scraping?, that may be a test he could do to make sure it is yeast and not something else. It must be frustrating not being able to clear it up. I hope you can figure out what's causing it, and treat it. Sending love and hugs. Feel better Winston

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
The vet was actually the one that suggested the medicated shampoo. She did not do a skin scraping I will have to ask about that. He is due back there in a couple of weeks so I can talk to her again. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it! :D

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I know how you feel, this is an issue I have long battled with with Samson. Neo-predef powder helped alot for Samson, it's by prescription only. I have a prescription for it through my vet but get it filled by Dr Fosters & Smith, much cheaper!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I know how you feel, this is an issue I have long battled with with Samson. Neo-predef powder helped alot for Samson, it's by prescription only. I have a prescription for it through my vet but get it filled by Dr Fosters & Smith, much cheaper!

I will def check that out, thanks!! Did you ever find out what caused it??

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I would recommend a skin scraping first. I had one rescue a long time ago that had terrible yeast infection and build up and the medications were taking forever to heal. I stripped his food of everything except meat and green beans. No starches of any kind because the starch in the food contributes to growing yeast, anyway I would feed him eggs, chicken, beef, pork, fish, whever I could that was on sale and I had the yeast cleared up in about 8 days. After that his food was about 80 percent meat and 20 percent vegetables ( i have been making my pets food for a long time) and he never had another yeast problem. Not saying it will always work but its an idea. Hope Winston feels better soon, good luck. Also, have you tried dunking his feet in a bully wash of lemon, vinegar and water? I have seen on this forum the wash with peroxide for yeasty feet too.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I would recommend a skin scraping first. I had one rescue a long time ago that had terrible yeast infection and build up and the medications were taking forever to heal. I stripped his food of everything except meat and green beans. No starches of any kind because the starch in the food contributes to growing yeast, anyway I would feed him eggs, chicken, beef, pork, fish, whever I could that was on sale and I had the yeast cleared up in about 8 days. After that his food was about 80 percent meat and 20 percent vegetables ( i have been making my pets food for a long time) and he never had another yeast problem. Not saying it will always work but its an idea. Hope Winston feels better soon, good luck. Also, have you tried dunking his feet in a bully wash of lemon, vinegar and water? I have seen on this forum the wash with peroxide for yeasty feet too.

Thank you for the advice! He is on a limited ingredient food right now, we started there. The next step would be the home cooking. I have tried the peroxide but not the lemon wash. Thanks again! :D

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
No problem, the wash is 1 cup lemon juice, 1 cup vinegar to one gallon of water. Dunk his feet one at a time for a few minutes each. The wash makes them smell great too. Good luck.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
The irritation in Samson's paws is from licking, he has seasonal allergies so at certain times during the year he will start licking his paws raw. He has food allergies as well but we've found NVI salmon works great for him so when the environment isn't giving him issues he's not really licking so his paws are fine.

L

Lucy-licious

Sound like interdigital cysys (sp) Lucy had one ages ago after having her nails clipped, one of the causes of them, they form because of the shift in the weight bearing on the foot. Other causes are food allergies and infections. You can get antibiotics for them but they do take a long while to clear. Lucy's eventually went on its own after a few months. If it starts to look like its uncomfortable or gets very red and/or warm to the touch it probably infected.

Epsom salt soaks as often as you can manage..2-3 times a day if possible. then thoroughly dry and dab on some original listerine, the yellow one. This is what we were advised to do...maybe they would have gone quicker had I stuck with it, I don't know. Oh and I also heard that applying Preperation H (pile cream) can help as it shrinks the pocket :D

If they get sore though, a quick trip to the vets for antibiotics and ointment :hug:

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Sound like interdigital cysys (sp) Lucy had one ages ago after having her nails clipped, one of the causes of them, they form because of the shift in the weight bearing on the foot. Other causes are food allergies and infections. You can get antibiotics for them but they do take a long while to clear. Lucy's eventually went on its own after a few months. If it starts to look like its uncomfortable or gets very red and/or warm to the touch it probably infected.

Epsom salt soaks as often as you can manage..2-3 times a day if possible. then thoroughly dry and dab on some original listerine, the yellow one. This is what we were advised to do...maybe they would have gone quicker had I stuck with it, I don't know. Oh and I also heard that applying Preperation H (pile cream) can help as it shrinks the pocket :D

If they get sore though, a quick trip to the vets for antibiotics and ointment :hug:

Thank you so much, I will try this! Maybe I wasn't soaking them enough!! :D

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
The irritation in Samson's paws is from licking, he has seasonal allergies so at certain times during the year he will start licking his paws raw. He has food allergies as well but we've found NVI salmon works great for him so when the environment isn't giving him issues he's not really licking so his paws are fine.

Ohh ok, I am glad to hear he is doing better!! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If it is the interdigital cysts ... Winston most likely has a food allergy of some sort --- have you thought about getting the full blood screen allergy test done? My boy, Nitshcke suffered with these until we did the test and identified he was allergic to rice -- once that was out of his diet they were not seen again.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
If it is the interdigital cysts ... Winston most likely has a food allergy of some sort --- have you thought about getting the full blood screen allergy test done? My boy, Nitshcke suffered with these until we did the test and identified he was allergic to rice -- once that was out of his diet they were not seen again.

We are going to do this, hopefully sooner then later. Money is just a bit tight at the moment and our vet charges a pretty penny for it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.