Thread: At my Wit's end!

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Post At my Wit's end!

Hi All! I need some advice, my Winston's paws are not doing so good. In between some of his toes are red and two of them are a bit swollen (almost cyst like). They have been like this for a while now and the vet thought it was yeast. We have bought the medicated shampoo, tried the epsom salt, apple cider vinegar, I have even tried switching foods becuase I thought maybe it was a food allergy. Nothing is making it better!! It doesn't seem to bother him, but I feel bad. Any ideas?? Thanks!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: At my Wit's end!

Oh my , poor guy. It looks like you've tried all the usual remedies, medicated shampoos, and ACV, and food changes. I don't have any other suggestions to use, as I haven't had to deal with this yet. Hopefully someone else who has will come along shortly to offer some advice and suggestions. What does your vet suggest for yeast, and has he 100 % diagnosed it as yeast? Did he do a skin scraping?, that may be a test he could do to make sure it is yeast and not something else. It must be frustrating not being able to clear it up. I hope you can figure out what's causing it, and treat it. Sending love and hugs. Feel better Winston
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

The vet was actually the one that suggested the medicated shampoo. She did not do a skin scraping I will have to ask about that. He is due back there in a couple of weeks so I can talk to her again. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I know how you feel, this is an issue I have long battled with with Samson. Neo-predef powder helped alot for Samson, it's by prescription only. I have a prescription for it through my vet but get it filled by Dr Fosters & Smith, much cheaper!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TessaAndSamson View Post
    I know how you feel, this is an issue I have long battled with with Samson. Neo-predef powder helped alot for Samson, it's by prescription only. I have a prescription for it through my vet but get it filled by Dr Fosters & Smith, much cheaper!
    I will def check that out, thanks!! Did you ever find out what caused it??

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

I would recommend a skin scraping first. I had one rescue a long time ago that had terrible yeast infection and build up and the medications were taking forever to heal. I stripped his food of everything except meat and green beans. No starches of any kind because the starch in the food contributes to growing yeast, anyway I would feed him eggs, chicken, beef, pork, fish, whever I could that was on sale and I had the yeast cleared up in about 8 days. After that his food was about 80 percent meat and 20 percent vegetables ( i have been making my pets food for a long time) and he never had another yeast problem. Not saying it will always work but its an idea. Hope Winston feels better soon, good luck. Also, have you tried dunking his feet in a bully wash of lemon, vinegar and water? I have seen on this forum the wash with peroxide for yeasty feet too.

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatina38 View Post
    I would recommend a skin scraping first. I had one rescue a long time ago that had terrible yeast infection and build up and the medications were taking forever to heal. I stripped his food of everything except meat and green beans. No starches of any kind because the starch in the food contributes to growing yeast, anyway I would feed him eggs, chicken, beef, pork, fish, whever I could that was on sale and I had the yeast cleared up in about 8 days. After that his food was about 80 percent meat and 20 percent vegetables ( i have been making my pets food for a long time) and he never had another yeast problem. Not saying it will always work but its an idea. Hope Winston feels better soon, good luck. Also, have you tried dunking his feet in a bully wash of lemon, vinegar and water? I have seen on this forum the wash with peroxide for yeasty feet too.

Thank you for the advice! He is on a limited ingredient food right now, we started there. The next step would be the home cooking. I have tried the peroxide but not the lemon wash. Thanks again!

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

No problem, the wash is 1 cup lemon juice, 1 cup vinegar to one gallon of water. Dunk his feet one at a time for a few minutes each. The wash makes them smell great too. Good luck.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The irritation in Samson's paws is from licking, he has seasonal allergies so at certain times during the year he will start licking his paws raw. He has food allergies as well but we've found NVI salmon works great for him so when the environment isn't giving him issues he's not really licking so his paws are fine.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Lucy-licious

Sound like interdigital cysys (sp) Lucy had one ages ago after having her nails clipped, one of the causes of them, they form because of the shift in the weight bearing on the foot. Other causes are food allergies and infections. You can get antibiotics for them but they do take a long while to clear. Lucy's eventually went on its own after a few months. If it starts to look like its uncomfortable or gets very red and/or warm to the touch it probably infected.

Epsom salt soaks as often as you can manage..2-3 times a day if possible. then thoroughly dry and dab on some original listerine, the yellow one. This is what we were advised to do...maybe they would have gone quicker had I stuck with it, I don't know. Oh and I also heard that applying Preperation H (pile cream) can help as it shrinks the pocket

If they get sore though, a quick trip to the vets for antibiotics and ointment

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatina38 View Post
    No problem, the wash is 1 cup lemon juice, 1 cup vinegar to one gallon of water. Dunk his feet one at a time for a few minutes each. The wash makes them smell great too. Good luck.
    Thank you!!

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy-licious View Post
    Sound like interdigital cysys (sp) Lucy had one ages ago after having her nails clipped, one of the causes of them, they form because of the shift in the weight bearing on the foot. Other causes are food allergies and infections. You can get antibiotics for them but they do take a long while to clear. Lucy's eventually went on its own after a few months. If it starts to look like its uncomfortable or gets very red and/or warm to the touch it probably infected.

Epsom salt soaks as often as you can manage..2-3 times a day if possible. then thoroughly dry and dab on some original listerine, the yellow one. This is what we were advised to do...maybe they would have gone quicker had I stuck with it, I don't know. Oh and I also heard that applying Preperation H (pile cream) can help as it shrinks the pocket

If they get sore though, a quick trip to the vets for antibiotics and ointment

Thank you so much, I will try this! Maybe I wasn't soaking them enough!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads