Update - Tank and the Vet

Traci0612

Jan 8, 2013
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Well we took Tank into the vet over the weekend. He was just smelling SO horrible and his constant scratching and licking was sending us over the edge. He has a bacterial yeast infection and a secondary yeast infection. Ugh! In addition the vet diagnosed him with conjunctive eye disease & corneal eye disease in his right eye. They want to do a Schirmer Tear test in a couple weeks because he believes Tank isnt producing enough tears to keep that eye moist so looks like artificial tears for the ole boy in the near future. And like all you great people suggested, Tank has both food allergies & environmental allergies and we are switching his food. We had bought a bag of Iams Sensitive grain free food so once that's gone in a few days we'll be buying a better quality food with salmon. No more chicken & beef flavors or by-products. Also had to buy some antibacterial wipes for his paws which are a hot mess as well.

I didnt mention this in my intro but Tank also has a degenerative bone issues in both his rear knee caps which causes him to limp or hobble some days, especially if he plays & romps around with his brother & sister too long. Walking is hard on him so we only have brief little "down the street & back" walks with him. So now he's on an antibiotic to clear up the yeast infections, and another med that is a Benedryl type but stronger with a steriod in it to cut down the itching & scratching.

But I do have a question hopefully someone can help with: Tank is CONSTANTLY prone to yeast infections. Is there a product, human or pet, I can give him as a daily "preventative"? I started giving him a daily probiotic. I've read about Brewer's Yeast but he doesnt need a flea preventative.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would not recommend brewers yeast, but pro-and prebiotics are a must, especially when you're getting antibiotics for yeast infection.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh you poor thing and poor Tank. So sorry Tank has so many issues. :( Here is a wonderful helpful article that deals with yeast. There's a video at the very end please watch all of it. It's 10 minutes long but so informative. One of the things I found out that I would not have thought of is oatmeal shampoo being a (oh what's the word I'm looking for), well basically if you have a dog with yeast issues you need to avoid oatmeal shampoos.

Here's the article: The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Tail Pocket and Vulva]

Wish I could help more. Tanks a cutie though. :)

L

Lucy-licious

The meds will have that nasty yeast cleared up in no time. and with any luck once hos conjunctivitis is cleared up too, his eyes will be ok :hug:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Poor little guy! I'm sure once you start altering his diet and changing his food, you will see improvements w/his allergies and skin. You may want to try adding a bit of plain yogurt to his food for the probiotics found in yogurt. Please keep us updated!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm so sorry. Poor guy has his share of crummy stuff. Good thing he has great Bully parents. I'm not sure on the yeast, but his food change will help. Please remember to do a slow transition to whatever new food you decide on. Allow about 10 days so keep enough of your old food! Wishing you luck and sweet Tank..much better health.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Poor thing. Sounds like he has been thru a lot! No help really but have you thought of allergy testing? It sounds like he might have it bad and testing might save you some headaches down the road. It can be expensive but has helped many here.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
damn... poor little guy. I have a constant battle with yeast as well, all due to allergies. Banks really needs to live in a bubble as she is allergic to everything green - trees, grass, molds, weeds, etc. The key is to wipe the paws everytime she comes back in the house from being outside and I also avoid potatoes for her.

Good luck with everything... i tagged our resident food guru (she hates me :D) as she will be able to help you select a few food options.

OP
Traci0612

Traci0612

Jan 8, 2013
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thanks everyone for your support and advice. Will start giving Tank 1/2 cup of plain yogurt in addition to his probiotic.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
You can also wipe him down with raw apple cider vinegar, add some to his water as well. The acid in the vinegar will stop the yeast from multiplying and growing.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dont know if you have a salmon food in mind but i can help you with that if you like. cutting down on your dogs allergies will go a long way towards getting rid of the yeast. get yourself some duoxo pads and duoxo ps shampoo has helped me so much with sarahs yeast. i soak her feet in it like every 2 days and bath her yeast parts twice a week. i have also just started on the apple cidar vinegar in the water myself. also get a really good probiotic. you can just use a people one but i have been told that one that does not need to be refridgerated are better. also i have been told coq10 is good for boosting the immune system but have not tried that yet. whatever you can do to boost your dogs immune system and get the yeast under control. ok well if ya need some food help or any other help im arounds.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Have you considered a possibly raw diet? The food is surely the cause of the yeast issues you are having. Let me know if you are interested. Switching my girl to raw was the. BEst thing I ever did for her.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.