Post surgery HELP please!!!

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi all...i have been on and off due to the condition of winston. A couple weeks ago he got cherry. Te first week i was able to massage it back in. Last week it popped out and got real bad REaL fast! I was unable to massage back in and i felt horrible for him. SO after a few different vet visits to ensure a safe procedure we decided and did it. Surgery was a big success and his eyes look great! Now the bad! The first night was bad but i figured that would be expected...the second night was bad as well so i brought him back in. Vet said its normal and to keep an eye. Day 3, day 4 and now day 5 he's showing improvement BUT at night its still BAD. His nose sounds soooo stuffed and just dry heaves non stop. Sometime he spits up white mucus other times nothing and other times food sadly. The vet explained bullys going under and the tube in his nose/throat etc etc...his eyes are no longer the concern, its the worry i have of him dry heaving to the point of infection since the passage way is so short. I have another follow up appt in 2 days and the vet gave me his personal cell and doesn't seem too worried BUT i am. The sleepless nights dont bother me, its his condition which only occurs at night. Any help advice or guidance is highly appreciated! Thank you all @ EBN

L

Lucy-licious

Aww. bless. Sounds like when they put the tube in his throat it has irritated him somewhat. Is there any way you can prop him up a little bit on pillows at night...so that he isnt laying flat.
If it is just irritation it will pass as his throat heels a little. Is it getting any better at all? If you are worried you should take him in and ask the vet to look in his throat. maybe he can give you some meds that will ease the irritation xx

hudd1988

Jan 11, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Dottie
If I was in your situation I would take Winston to another vet asap with his existing records. I pray that Winston get better which Iam sure he will!!!:pray:

Hi all...i have been on and off due to the condition of winston. A couple weeks ago he got cherry. Te first week i was able to massage it back in. Last week it popped out and got real bad REaL fast! I was unable to massage back in and i felt horrible for him. SO after a few different vet visits to ensure a safe procedure we decided and did it. Surgery was a big success and his eyes look great! Now the bad! The first night was bad but i figured that would be expected...the second night was bad as well so i brought him back in. Vet said its normal and to keep an eye. Day 3, day 4 and now day 5 he's showing improvement BUT at night its still BAD. His nose sounds soooo stuffed and just dry heaves non stop. Sometime he spits up white mucus other times nothing and other times food sadly. The vet explained bullys going under and the tube in his nose/throat etc etc...his eyes are no longer the concern, its the worry i have of him dry heaving to the point of infection since the passage way is so short. I have another follow up appt in 2 days and the vet gave me his personal cell and doesn't seem too worried BUT i am. The sleepless nights dont bother me, its his condition which only occurs at night. Any help advice or guidance is highly appreciated! Thank you all @ EBN

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, I would take hm to an other bully vet. This should not be happening. I have had several bullies that went through surgery, C-sections, knee surgery, cherry eye surgery, and elongated pallet surgery, and none of them have ever done what you bully is doing. That vet must have either used a tube too big or scratched the throat or air way. Either way it needs to be checked out ASAP. Please keep us posted.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Is he coughing??????

OP
anthony fiasco

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you all for the responses. He is coughing at times but just sounds stuffed up always then just dry heaves and vomits. During the day hes fine..just night time. Today though seems worse than others.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Thank you all for the responses. He is coughing at times but just sounds stuffed up always then just dry heaves and vomits. During the day hes fine..just night time. Today though seems worse than others.

See if it would be beneficial for him, if you ran a hot shower and got steam into a closed bathroom. If your house is dry or if he is in a crate near dry heat in the evening it could be bothering him, especially with a scratched throat. this is just a thought. Let me know if you try this and it helps.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree , it doesn't sound like a normal thing to be happening after surgery, and a trip to the vet would be a good idea.

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
I have had dogs that have had lots of surgeries and never had this happen. I would get a second opinion or at least, take him to the Vet. This is very unusual!!!

OP
anthony fiasco

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks all again....ive taken him to the vet 3 times since and just returned not to long ago with antibiotics.the vet said his eyes are healing great, happy theres no discharge from eyes or nose but the issue at hand should be fixed with the antibiotics. I also have a humidifier running near his crate.

OP
anthony fiasco

anthony fiasco

Nov 15, 2012
Toronto, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
So actually have him in the washroom with the door closed as the hot shower runs?or just have the door open and run through my apt?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Bulldog = Respiratory Problem = Vet

I would really not take a chance on this one. I would take him to the vet to have him assessed. Respiratory problems can get go sideways in bulldogs SO fast so better to fault in the side of caution with this one, in my opinion.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.