URGENT!!! Daisy Short of Breath on Rimadyl

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
My Daisy (9 month old) started taking little short breaths this morning. She was urping up a little in the morning on an empty stomach over the last few days. I thought that was related to the Rimadyl med she has been taking since the 7th for some shoulder pain. Stomach upset is a known side effect of that drug. But when I got her to the vet this morning, an X-Ray showed a diffuse pattern across all of both lungs. The vet didn't know what to make of it, and sent the image to a radiologist for diagnosis. The vet said it might be fungal, or bacteria, or allergic, or ? They are testing, etc. She's in hospital on IV for fluids and prophylactic antibiotics.

My question: Have any of your dogs experienced breathing difficulty associated with Rimadyl, or an allergic reaction involving the lungs?

I'm terribly worried. Thanks for any help!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would get your bully off Rimadyl, as you know it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even liver damage. The shortness of breath could be coming from her vomiting and she may have aspirated some vomit, and it can lead to pneumonia. hopefully the antibiotics will help her and she can go home soon. We will keep her in our thoughts.

OP
V

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
Davidh, thanks SO much for you help and concern. Unfortunately, I'm all too familiar with aspiration pneumonia, and this isn't it. Daisy's X-Ray showed a diffuse pattern in all areas of the lung. Aspiration pneumonia would look quite different. And, yes, I've ordered her off the Rimadyl. I only wish I had done it sooner. Actually, I'm hopeful that's the cause of her problems. If so, she should be getting better at once. Still, does anyone out there have experience with anything resembling Daisy's problem? Thanks!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry I don't have any experience or advice on Rimadyl, I just wanted to send love and prayers to you and Daisy. I hope it was just the medication and now that's she's off of it, she gets better, or if not the medication, I hope they figure out what is causing her symptoms and she gets well soon. Feel better sweet Daisy.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have extensive experience with Rimadyl. Not with Bully's but Dobie's and a Rottie. I know many have negative thoughts on Rimadyl..and Bully's might very possibly react differently. But even with long term use age, we never experienced anything like this. I'm thinking her shortness of breath is more a reaction to her being in pain from whatever is going on with her lungs. I hope you can figure it out quickly and Daisy is ok.

lapforbulldogs

Jan 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Raisin and Churchill
I've never had a dog on that particular medication before either. I did want you to know that Daisy is in my prayers, and hopefully your vet will have an answer soon!

L

Lucy-licious

Praying that Daisy gets well soon. Hopefully you will have answers today. :hug:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
No experience here but sure understand your fear and concern for you bully. Please be sure to keep us posted on what you find out and how she is. We really do care around here! :heart: We do.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I also have extensive experience with Rimadyl, it's a very powerful anti-inflammatory. My pitty was on it for years and never had any issues. I know, as with other drugs for dogs, that they can have an adverse reaction to it and some even die. For us, it was a wonderful drug and I'd use it again. Let us know what your vet says.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I hope there has been an improvement... Prayers to you both for a quick recovery. :pray:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Mack was on Rimadyl for a couple of years. I thought it was upsetting his stomach but then had him tested for food allergies and it turned out he was allergic to most of the ingredients in his food. I got him on a limited ingredient food that he wasn't allergic to and no more stomach issues! He had no problem with Rimadyl.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I hope she's doing better now! Samson has been on rimadyl for a year and a half and he's never had any issues. He doesn't take it all the time, just on his bad days, he's developed arthritis in a leg he broke and had to have surgery on when he was 6 months old. He's almost 7 years old now and I was told by the orthopedic surgeon that did the surgery that he would develop arthritis to some degree at some point in his life because of that injury so it was expected. Keep us updated, I'll be praying for you and Daisy!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Hoping your baby is better, please keep us posted!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.