General Question Luca panting for no apparent reason

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Luca is 18 weeks old now and just got his final round if shots today. (Rabies shot to be specific)

He was a little wild man at the vets office; playing and generally bothering the very old labs in the waiting room. We noticed him panting a bit here and there but didn't think much of it since he was so excited and energetic. Usually he will only pant after a long sprint with me outside. We have been home since noon today and it is now 5pm and he is panting a lot for no obvious reason. He hasn't been running around or any other hyper activity. Infact he has been a lazy slug for most of the day; sleeping and playing with his chew toys. Just panting and yawning.
I read that this may be a sign of illness or pain but he otherwise seems fine. It's not hot in here or any climate issue.
Is this normal?? Should I be concerned? Reaction to shots?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
In an adult dog, I would agree it can be a sign of pain, bnut i am unsure if that holds true with pups as well.... I tagged some members with puppy knowledge that might be able to give some advice

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm really not sure .... I can't remember any of my puppies panting a lot when the weather is cool.

I'm wondering if it could be some reaction to his shots ... maybe keep a very close eye on him!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's the only thing I can think of is a reaction to the shots. Did he get the 3 year rabies shot, because I have heard this causing some pups the have a reaction.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Reactions are very common from any vaccine. But in particular the rabies vaccine. If you think about what is in the vaccine you can understand better why a reaction occurs. Rabies vaccine is the worst of them all. You have nothing to worry about yet. The area where the vaccine was given may even swell. It is even common for some dogs to have seizures That's when you call the vet. don't be alarmed but in rare cases it can cause death. Your pups reaction is normal. Let him relax and just keep an eye on him. He can have reactions for up to 45 days after the vaccine. The benefit out-ways the chance of having rabies.

[MENTION=7262]Kross225[/MENTION]

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
It was the one year rabies vaccine. He seems ok . Hasn't panted in an hour but did break his 11 day streak of not peeing in the house. Bad little puppy

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we walked to our 1 year rabies shot about 4 blocks away and it was August but quite cool so i was ok with Lola being out. after the shot she was panting and as we walked home she panted even worse.we had the biggest scare when we got home because Lolacould not get enough air.we had to use lemon juice and eucalyptis oil to open her airways. i'm telling you
this only so you listen for some congestion with her pants..if there is mucus you have to break it up with lemon juice and calm her down. this is my first time talking about this it upset me so much. and got me thinking that maybe Lolas palette was too large. and I don't let her get winded at all now.
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It was the one year rabies vaccine. He seems ok . Hasn't panted in an hour but did break his 11 day streak of not peeing in the house. Bad little puppy

good to hear.... he probably had the last of his series too? watch his temp too, sometime the temp goes up, that's normal too.

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
we walked to our 1 year rabies shot about 4 blocks away and it was August but quite cool so i was ok with Lola being out. after the shot she was panting and as we walked home she panted even worse.we had the biggest scare when we got home because Lolacould not get enough air.we had to use lemon juice and eucalyptis oil to open her airways. i'm telling you
this only so you listen for some congestion with her pants..if there is mucus you have to break it up with lemon juice and calm her down. this is my first time talking about this it upset me so much. and got me thinking that maybe Lolas palette was too large. and I don't let her get winded at all now.
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Thabk you so much. I figured it had to be a reaction. It's 24 hours later and I think he is back to normal

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi I researched some information for you regarding the side affects of the Rabies vaccine, and also causes of panting in dogs, and this is what I reread the Rabies vaccine can cause irritability, abnormal stiffness, panting, strange reactions such as ravenous appetite for strange things like leaves or paper, changes in behaviour, aggression, separation anxiety, nervous problems, seizures, skin problems, allergies , digestive disorders, and w pain at injection site.

Some other causes of excess panting can be heart problems, blood disorders, respiratory problems, hormone issues, pain, fever, poisoning, and Brachycephalic breeds are prone to panting and overheating.

Hope everything is okay and Luca feels better soon. Keep us posted

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw its good to hear he is back to normal. keep us updated if anything changes:D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad to hear everything turned out okay!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online