Help Needed! Henry has a mild honking cough-when to worry?

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
So Henry recently started to acquire a mild cough. He did it yesterday after he ran a little bit and during his meal. It was just 1 cough after running, and during his meals i'll feed him a handful at a time in his bowl and he would let out 1 cough after each handful. It was kind of a dry bronchitus type cough, sort of like honking noise. It didn't look to be a painful type cough.

I watched some kennel cough videos and it sounds like the cough, but there is no hacking or throwing up. He still eats, drinks, plays as usual.
The coughs are never repeating just 1 at a time when he gets excited or during meals.

He was at a puppy playtime last Saturday at Petco so he has been around other puppies/dogs. He will be 17 weeks old on Friday.

I'm taking him to the vet this afternoon to weigh him and get the vets opinion. Since this is relatively new occurance, should i be leary of medications the vet might want to put him on?

btw, Henry's stool is looking great now and very formed all week.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Starting to think now hes just clearing his throat instead of coughing. Hes making the noise after he sits and swallows and looks up at me for more food. Probly just eating to fast. Im still gonna check with my vet being that im headed that way to weigh him in a few

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I know Finn will have the occasional "hacking" cough after he runs too fast and is very excited about something. As long as Henry isn't showing other sx's like lethargy, fever, lacking appetite, depressed, and not coughing up any greenish or yellow sputum, I would think just watching him for a bit would be adequate. Of course if you're going to the vet anyway, might as well pick his/her brain about it. Hopefully it's nothing.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Duchess had a honking cough when she had an upper respiratory infection. She literally sounded like a duck when she coughed. It was very odd.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My guess is that it's a mild case of kennel cough that he probably picked up at the puppy playtime on Saturday. I have had dogs with kennel cough before and they haven't thrown up at all.

If you're going to the vet you'll probably be given some antibiotics for it, and maybe a cough suppressant.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
The vet thought it best just to keep an eye on it, Since he didn't have any repeating coughs or any other secondary symptoms. If repeating coughs or secondary symptoms appear, i will take him in for an exam.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.