Help Needed! Stinky bulldog!

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Seamus is now 8 months old and 47lbs and doing great. He has been on TOTW High Prairie since he was born and is doing great on it. His poos are nice and solid and he doesn't seem to have any allergies to it.

We have one issue with him though. He stinks! Well he smells lovely after a bath but that lasts only for about a week or so and then he is stinky again. I have resorted to giving him a bath every 2 weeks or so. If I wait any longer he is super smelly! I am not used to this, since the dogs that I had as a kid were never really smelly and only got bathed a few times a year. Is this something typical with bulldogs? Could it be his food? We also live in the city in an apartment and he is constantly walking out on the sidewalks and in the grass on the sidewalks, which is probably gross with other dogs pee.

Anyway if anybody has any advice about this I would appreciate it! I am fine with giving him a bath every 2 weeks I just wanted to make sure that he is okay and it isn't an allergy issue.

Thanks!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Might be the food, ours don't smell that bad and we only bath them maybe once a year.

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We had a frito smelling doggy. Thankfully he smells better now. I feel your pain its not fun. My whole house smelled of fritos and I'm definately not a fan of them it was allergies with tank he was paw licking and rubbing on everything. I would look at your pups diet and see if you can find the culprit

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Frito smell = Yeast issues in my experience - we recently changed back to Taste of the Wild, and we are battling the Yeast problems (again) so when these bags of food are done, its back to the Blue Buffalo Limited Ingrediant (Blue Buffalo Basics) for us.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It definitely could be the food as they could develop allergies throughout their growing years. His allergies could also be environmental... add apple cider vinegar to his water.. I add a cap full to a bowl. And, you can give Benedryl 1 mg per pound up to 3x a day. Smelly dog usually is a since of allergies to a food/ingredient... [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

good luck and keep us posted

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Thanks for all the info. I am reluctant to change foods because he is doing so well on TOTW so far. He doesn't seem to have any typical allergy symptoms like excessive paw licking or itching his face. Not sure if it is a frito/yeasty smell or just a dirty dog smell. It doesn't start right away, but about a week after the bath or so.

Also, what do you recommend for dry skin? I see that he has some dandruff/dry flakes and I have been putting some olive oil in his food. Is that okay? Our breeder recommended staying away from fish products because her pups have always been allergic to those products. Should I stick with olive oil? Or go to coconut oil?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You may not necessarily have to change the food completely ... it may just something in that flavour that isnt' agreeing with him and giving him the stinkies. Maybe look at a different protein source??

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I know your breeder said to stay away from it but you could try grizzly salmon oil, a lot of us use it as a supplement with our meals for the bullies. Also one of the reasons he probably has the dry skin is due to bathing every two weeks, you may want to find a shampoo that has moisturizer like tea tree oil in it that way you are putting back some of the oils you are loosing by bathing so frequently. The shampoo we use for Bacon has tea tree oil in it and it makes him smell good and doesn't dry him out so much.

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
We always wipe Tuni with a baby wipe after we come in from outside. I think that helps with some stinkiness, since bulldogs are so close to the ground anyways. It also may be his food. We switched to Acana Pacifica, which is fish based and she's done great so far. She also has had BAD dandruff for the past couple weeks, I've just been trying to brush her more. I use the zoom groom brush, but i've heard the Furminator is awesome!

Kozman

Nov 13, 2011
NYC
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
I noticed a big improvement when we added salmon oil to diet...and she smelled much better

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
helLo there. ok dandruff in a dogs coat is a sign of allerg usually y probably to the food. also smelly bully is usually sign of allergy. you can use olive oil as I use extra virgin in my bostons food or I have heard coconut is good also. I bathe Sarah once n even twice a week with no flaking. I use duoxo brand shampoo n you may want to look into a good shampoo for your bully. if this continues you may want to see about a different flavor of this brand of food. keep us updated. on phone so hope this makes sense

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH smelled bad when she was on Bil Jac. Totally changed with being on Fromm, but got funky smelling again when we tried another food to attempt to change out her protein. So back to the Fromm again.
So yes I think the food could definitely be the problem.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online