Help Needed! Worried about my Bulldog's excessive drinking!

Anna Maria

Jan 8, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Hello, I am new to the forum and have a 7 year old female Bulldog named Roxy. She had a tumor removed on her thyroid back in July of 2012. The surgeon stated that the tumor showed some cancer cells. We were offered the option of chemo and radiation, which both my husband and I refused. We didn't want to put her through that. We did try holistic meds which seemed to help. She drinks water excessively and goes through bowls of it everyday. I had her tested for diabetes and kidney function and the tests came back negative. Not sure if this is related to the removal of the thyroid. We are very concerned and don't know what could be causing this excessive thirst all day/night. Does anyone have any experience with this? I was thinking of taking her back to vet but we always get the same responses. Thank you for all of your help. This is a terrific forum!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Is she on any meds? Specifically Prednisone? Steroid?

I'm so sorry she is dealing with this. But other than being caused by meds I am not sure. I have known many dogs and cats go thru cancer treatments. Surprisingly, they do very well with chemo..the thoughts are they don't have preconditioning like humans..but radiation I don't know.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I copied this for you

What causes excessive thirst in dogs?

-Kidney Failure
-High blood calcium
-Uterine infection
-Diabetes mellitus
-Abnormality of the pituitary gland
-Kidney or Kidney tubules abnormalities or defects
-Kidney infection
-Over or Under activity of the adrenal glands
-Urinary tract blockage or defect
-Electrolyte imbalance
-Liver disease
-Behavioral problems causing excessive drinking even when not thirsty
-Heat
-Excessive activity

kcone

Dec 25, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
I have the same issue with Brock my 11 week old puppy. Since I brought him home he's always drank an excessive amount of water. He was checked by the vet last week & said he was perfectly healthy.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
We had a collie who died (RIP) of a uterus infection. I noticed that in her last days, all she did was drink up all the water she could.

Remi on the other hand, is totally healthy, and will go a whole day without drinking, and then will drink nonstop for 3 minutes.

OP
A

Anna Maria

Jan 8, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Thanks for sharing your advice. I was told the same thing by my vet.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Not much I can add I'm sorry to say but wanted to say I hope Roxy will be ok.

Ok, changed my mind. I did have the same problem with my Ace (RIP bud) drinking essessively. For him it turned out he had Cushion's Disease which invovles the pituitary gland. The tests weren't cheap and diagnosis is hard (normally not diagnosed during the first test). Essessive thrist was made us take him to the vet during that time. Cushion's Disease may also be affected with Hypothyroidism. Now I know Roxy's had her thyriod removed but this is something I think you should at least research. Ace was also on thyriod medication for years. Hope that helps a bit, just wanted to throw that out there so you have another avenue to look at if the essessive water comsumption continues.

Also be aware of bloat, try to break up her drinking!

:hug:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have no experience of this so I'm sorry I can't be of any help ... but praying for your bully. :pray:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] she might have some insight, but I would think it has something to do with the thyroid removal.

Hugs and prayers for you and Roxie!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I had her tested for diabetes and kidney function and the tests came back negative. Not sure if this is related to the removal of the thyroid.

were these done by blood test or urinalysis? I would get a urinalysis to rule out an UTI and another CBC if the one you had done wasn't after an 8 hour fast.

One of the things the thyroid does is regulate how the body handles it's sugar intake. Diabetes is a possibility if it has been removed. You don't say what she is eating but if it's a food high in carbs it could aggravate the thirst issue.

VictoriaS

Dec 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon
Hello, I too am sorry to hear of the illness you are your are facing.

My Leon, 11 weeks old, was obssessed with drinking water so much he caused himself to get sick twice before I could make it to him. We decided NOT to leave water out for random drinking and also give him an ice cube everytime we get ice. We installed a "pig lick" on the faucet out side for Khaleesi (11 month old rotty/shepard/lab). She actually pushed Leon up to it and now that he can reach it he has not had any 'water' issues. Its there for him/them when they want it and it only comes out so fast/much. Not sure if "pig lick" is the proper name but that's what my momma called it all my life with our family dogs.
I wish you the best...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online