Help Needed! Here we go again!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I am at my wits end with Bogey's poop! I was really convinced it was the Large breed puppy that was making his stools so soft, so I decided to try the Beef Fritata.
At lunch yesterday, gave him usual kibble (Fromms Large Breed puppy) and EIGHT kibble of the Fritata. His poop in the morning was soft serve. 30 minutes after lunch, he had a very loose stool. He had 2 more loose stools later in the day. ( His frequency of stool has not changed). So, back to basics- gave him boiled hamburger and rice for dinner. No treats, not nothin' else. (1/2 cup for each feeding)

This morning, FORMED poop! yea! So, I gave him burger/rice and 10 of his Large breed puppy kibble. You guessed it, 2 very loose stools 2 hours later. He is being very lazy today too- keeps going back to bed. I called the vet, they have not gotten back to me.

I really don't know what to do from this point. He can't live on burger and rice! And it seems as soon as I start him back on teh kibble, he has loose stools.

ANY SUGGESTIONS OUT THERE???? I truly believe that if this were a parasite, he would not have any formed stools at all.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
It wouldn't hurt to collect some n bring it to your vet for a stool sample!!!!!! I really don't know I mean Fromm is a great food!!! Is it possible all the switching from one food granted its still Fromm but switching n then to the hamburger n stuff is upsetting his digestive system??????? I'm most deff not a food person since I fed porky kibbles n bits for a long time!!!!! But I mean food for thought my vet told me sometimes they just have runny poop especially if he's going through a growth spurt that believe it or not can effect him systemically (i was called neurotic when i was told this i was sure she had parovirus) which could have caused a few days of loose stool n then the changes in diet may have just upset his tummy!!!!!! I'm just thinking out loud but my real advice is gather up some poop n have it tested better safe than sorry :) good luck!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with [MENTION=5186]porkysmamma[/MENTION] take a stool sample to the vet and have it checked. His little tummy may just be very sensitive, and it may take some time to find the right food.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone! Just talked to the vet. Bogey just has a negative stool for parasite, and just as I thought if it was parasites, he would not have any formed stool!

They are convinced that he is not doing well on the Fromms. So here is their recommendation. Burger and Rice for 2-3 days til the poop is solid. Then, try another brand (my second choice was Puppy Wellness Core) so we will do that. I will be adding only very small amounts of kibble to start (like 8) and take it up from there.

Sound reasonable??

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Sounds good to me lol again I'm no good with food I'm just here for moral support :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Try a Limited Ingredients food. the fewer ingredients the easier it is to track down the one causing the problem. I believe Wellness Simple line meets that standard.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You are expecting changes too soon. The more you jump around the harder it is on his system. 8 pieces of kibble won't be the cause of his problem.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Stick with one thing for several days or a week before even considering doing something else.... I'd recommend the bland diet for a week> Maybe there is something in Fromm that doesnt work for him.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I agree with linwhite, check what protein is in the food perhaps it's chicken based and he is allergic to chicken. I know a lot of bullies here are, perhaps try a Fromm that has salmon as the protein. I know taste of the wild has one that is venison/bison as the primary protein.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I know that too many changes are not good. But as I said, I was never really thrilled with his stool on the puppy food. Bottom line is that SOMETHING is irritating him because he has gone from soft serve to runny. So, my vet's theory is that I should stop all kibble, get his poop solid again, and then challenge it with something different as long as I introduce it slowly. He did not want me to go back to the Fromms because this is the second time I have taken him off, then slowly put him back on,(his vomitng episode last week) and had problems. I agree: can 8 little kibble cause a problem? He said it could if there is something in there that is causing problems. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place. So I am keeping him on Beef and rice until he has really good stools, then I will decide what to do. That may take more than a few days, but I will be patient.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know that too many changes are not good. But as I said, I was never really thrilled with his stool on the puppy food. Bottom line is that SOMETHING is irritating him because he has gone from soft serve to runny. So, my vet's theory is that I should stop all kibble, get his poop solid again, and then challenge it with something different as long as I introduce it slowly. He did not want me to go back to the Fromms because this is the second time I have taken him off, then slowly put him back on,(his vomitng episode last week) and had problems. I agree: can 8 little kibble cause a problem? He said it could if there is something in there that is causing problems. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place. So I am keeping him on Beef and rice until he has really good stools, then I will decide what to do. That may take more than a few days, but I will be patient.

:bang:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Since you've figured out that there's no parasite, and to save you from the trouble and Bogart's tummy from indigestion, I highly recommend getting an allergy test done. It'll cost money, but at least you'll stop guessing on which food is good for him. Once you get the test results, let us know and we'll all pitch in our experience on what brand and flavour doesn't have the ingredients he's sensitive to.

L

Lucy-licious

Your expecting too much too soon. Give his little tummy a rest and go bland..I would just do the hamburger and rice with a handful if veg for at least a week then very slowly try a kibble again. Billy lived on home cooked for 6 months...beef, rice and veg. And had he not settled on his kibble he would still be on it. After all it might be a pain cooking daily for them but if thats what is needed then so be it.

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Okay, here's my 2 cents on this: all dogs go thru stages of soft poops, runny poops, hard poops, no poops...just like us humans. I'm wondering if maybe you are being a little too analytical about Bogey's poops? It sounds like you have ruled out the parasite and are now focusing on the food so that's good. But I wouldn't be chasing every poop symptom with a different food approach. I'm wondering if maybe Bogey feels your anxiety about his poops and food, and the little guy is feeling a little anxiety and nervousness as well, and this manifests thru his tummy.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]: OMG you are SOOOOOOOOO right!! I am being WAY TOO ANALytical about his poo;! Just wrote everything down, from DAY ONE (at least what I can remember) and because he is acting ok, eating just fine, and his stools have not increased in number I admit that it is I who has the problem! It's just that I want to do the right thing for my baby. So, after a heart to heart with my hubby and the tech at the Vets, here is what we decided. For the next 5 days, Bogey will get only beef, rice with some veggies thrown in if his poops are good. THEN, I am going to rechallenge his kibble, but it will be the Fromms Beef Fritata. I swear, I will add it one kibble at at time! If his poop is soft, so be it. I will only get concerned if it is runny, mucousy or increased in frequency. It's a done deal. I truly believe in the Fromms food, and want to give it a fair shake. Also, just learned that here in Florida, black acorns fall , and I have taken many out of Bogey's mouth, they can cause many illnesses in dogs. So, daddy is outside raking up our front yard right now! You have all given me such great advice, support and a good slap to my senses!! LOL! And @JAKEISGREAT, thankyou for starting me on that line of thinking when you said I was expecting too much too fast! That's what got me to some self ANALysis! I feel like a first time mother! ( I am 58 and we have 9 kids!!) Somehow I got through that, I will get thru this. One day at a time!! I am sure you will hear from me again!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.