Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Default Here we go again!!

I am at my wits end with Bogey's poop! I was really convinced it was the Large breed puppy that was making his stools so soft, so I decided to try the Beef Fritata.
    At lunch yesterday, gave him usual kibble (Fromms Large Breed puppy) and EIGHT kibble of the Fritata. His poop in the morning was soft serve. 30 minutes after lunch, he had a very loose stool. He had 2 more loose stools later in the day. ( His frequency of stool has not changed). So, back to basics- gave him boiled hamburger and rice for dinner. No treats, not nothin' else. (1/2 cup for each feeding)

This morning, FORMED poop! yea! So, I gave him burger/rice and 10 of his Large breed puppy kibble. You guessed it, 2 very loose stools 2 hours later. He is being very lazy today too- keeps going back to bed. I called the vet, they have not gotten back to me.

I really don't know what to do from this point. He can't live on burger and rice! And it seems as soon as I start him back on teh kibble, he has loose stools.

ANY SUGGESTIONS OUT THERE???? I truly believe that if this were a parasite, he would not have any formed stools at all.
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

It wouldn't hurt to collect some n bring it to your vet for a stool sample!!!!!! I really don't know I mean Fromm is a great food!!! Is it possible all the switching from one food granted its still Fromm but switching n then to the hamburger n stuff is upsetting his digestive system??????? I'm most deff not a food person since I fed porky kibbles n bits for a long time!!!!! But I mean food for thought my vet told me sometimes they just have runny poop especially if he's going through a growth spurt that believe it or not can effect him systemically (i was called neurotic when i was told this i was sure she had parovirus) which could have caused a few days of loose stool n then the changes in diet may have just upset his tummy!!!!!! I'm just thinking out loud but my real advice is gather up some poop n have it tested better safe than sorry good luck!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Here we go again!!

I agree with @porkysmamma take a stool sample to the vet and have it checked. His little tummy may just be very sensitive, and it may take some time to find the right food.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone! Just talked to the vet. Bogey just has a negative stool for parasite, and just as I thought if it was parasites, he would not have any formed stool!

They are convinced that he is not doing well on the Fromms. So here is their recommendation. Burger and Rice for 2-3 days til the poop is solid. Then, try another brand (my second choice was Puppy Wellness Core) so we will do that. I will be adding only very small amounts of kibble to start (like 8) and take it up from there.

Sound reasonable??

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Sounds good to me lol again I'm no good with food I'm just here for moral support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Dog Groomer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)

Try a Limited Ingredients food. the fewer ingredients the easier it is to track down the one causing the problem. I believe Wellness Simple line meets that standard.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

You are expecting changes too soon. The more you jump around the harder it is on his system. 8 pieces of kibble won't be the cause of his problem.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Stick with one thing for several days or a week before even considering doing something else.... I'd recommend the bland diet for a week> Maybe there is something in Fromm that doesnt work for him.

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

I agree with linwhite, check what protein is in the food perhaps it's chicken based and he is allergic to chicken. I know a lot of bullies here are, perhaps try a Fromm that has salmon as the protein. I know taste of the wild has one that is venison/bison as the primary protein.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

I know that too many changes are not good. But as I said, I was never really thrilled with his stool on the puppy food. Bottom line is that SOMETHING is irritating him because he has gone from soft serve to runny. So, my vet's theory is that I should stop all kibble, get his poop solid again, and then challenge it with something different as long as I introduce it slowly. He did not want me to go back to the Fromms because this is the second time I have taken him off, then slowly put him back on,(his vomitng episode last week) and had problems. I agree: can 8 little kibble cause a problem? He said it could if there is something in there that is causing problems. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place. So I am keeping him on Beef and rice until he has really good stools, then I will decide what to do. That may take more than a few days, but I will be patient.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mer55 View Post
    I know that too many changes are not good. But as I said, I was never really thrilled with his stool on the puppy food. Bottom line is that SOMETHING is irritating him because he has gone from soft serve to runny. So, my vet's theory is that I should stop all kibble, get his poop solid again, and then challenge it with something different as long as I introduce it slowly. He did not want me to go back to the Fromms because this is the second time I have taken him off, then slowly put him back on,(his vomitng episode last week) and had problems. I agree: can 8 little kibble cause a problem? He said it could if there is something in there that is causing problems. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place. So I am keeping him on Beef and rice until he has really good stools, then I will decide what to do. That may take more than a few days, but I will be patient.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Since you've figured out that there's no parasite, and to save you from the trouble and Bogart's tummy from indigestion, I highly recommend getting an allergy test done. It'll cost money, but at least you'll stop guessing on which food is good for him. Once you get the test results, let us know and we'll all pitch in our experience on what brand and flavour doesn't have the ingredients he's sensitive to.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads