Partial obstruction? HELP!

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Okay, bear with me as this is a lengthy story. Friday evening, we discovered Koozer ate a 2inchx2inch section of the plastic on his doggy door. That night, he ate is dinner fine. Saturday morning, he threw up bits of the door. Saturday he also go his rabies shot. Sunday morning he threw up 3 times. Monday, no vomiting. This morning (tuesday) he vomited twice.

His appetite is awesome. He is drinking water. His poop is formed and a normal color. His energy level and personality are normal. He does not have a fever. He does not have a distended stomach or pain. When he vomits, it's always at the same time in the morning (around 5am...he eats dinner around 6pm). The vomit is not dark, not smelly, not chunky.

Could this be a reaction to the rabies vaccine or is it a partial obstruction?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Could be because his stomach is empty, 11 hours between feedings is a long time. Hopefully it is not because there is still some plastic in his tummy but try giving him just a wee bit of food before bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
I was "hoping" it was just an upset tummy from the rabies vaccine, but I was freaking out when I started to think it could be a partial blockage.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap, try what [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said, it may help. It may be just from an empty stomach.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
What color is the vomit??? Porky did the same thing every morning at 7 am shed throw up this orange colored stuff I got on here did my research found out it was acid reflux confirmed this with my vet n now she gets 2 dehydrated meatballs before bed each night n I keep some jerky in my drawer just in case :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
try what desertskybulldogs said and lets hope thats all it is. just keep and eye on him and if the vomiting continues may need a vet visit. keep us posted. :D

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I agree with everyone else, if Koozer is still eating plenty and having normal :poo: then it's probably not an obstruction. From my experience when they have an obstruction you will get little to no :poo: and what will come out will be very loose because that is all that can get around the obstruction.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Hoping Koozer is better soon.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Keep a close eye on him over the next week or so, even if he's not throwing up. He could still have a partial blockage. Emma swallowed a 1"x4" double nylon toy that she chewed off and pooped it out 5 days later. Her appetite, water consumption and spunk were also fine during this time. The piece that he ate still needs to pass.

:hug: to Otis

OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Yes, that is EXACTLY the color of his vomit. There is nothing else in it, so the acid-reflux cause is looking like the culprit. We are going to give him a bedtime snack and see if that helps. This needs to be resolved, as we keep jumping out of bed to the guttural sound of animal retching 10-15 minutes before the alarm goes off!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
As has been said by many wise Bully mamas and poppas here, it is a long time between meals and it is common for dogs fed only once a day to do this. An empty stomach can create bile - the colour you described- and this causes nausea and vomiting. I took a course on basic dog health at my vets - as well as being an awesome Bully vet he does free classes a few times each year about dogs and cats- ( and sometimes includes rabbits) as a service to the community and he said that is why it is recommended by most vets to feed twice a day. If you can't do that then the evening snack should help.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Yes, that is EXACTLY the color of his vomit. There is nothing else in it, so the acid-reflux cause is looking like the culprit. We are going to give him a bedtime snack and see if that helps. This needs to be resolved, as we keep jumping out of bed to the guttural sound of animal retching 10-15 minutes before the alarm goes off!

Lol be thankful he hasn't puked on u :p lol I think a bedtime snack will help a lot!!! Porky usually eats breakfast between 6-8 am whenever she wakes up lol n dinner at 5!!! Then right b4 bed we work on our commands 2 meatballs for a good session n she's good all night!!!!

OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Thank you everyone for your help. I forgot to mention earlier that we do feed him twice a day:) The last two nights we have fed him a 1/2 cup shortly before bedtime, and I am happy to report...No Puking!!!!! YAY!!!!!

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Thank you everyone for your help. I forgot to mention earlier that we do feed him twice a day:) The last two nights we have fed him a 1/2 cup shortly before bedtime, and I am happy to report...No Puking!!!!! YAY!!!!!

Yay :) now u can sleep until ur alarm goes off lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online