Help Needed! help, motley has a cherry eye

stephayne

Sep 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Motley
Sorry, I haven't been on in a whil, moving and the holidays, whew! We are in San Antonio now and apparently no vet I can find will remove the cherry eye, a vet did tell me there are some old school vets (but couldn't recommend any) that do but I would have to do research on my own. Its like looking for a needle in a haystack. We are pretty sure removal is the best option after the research we have done but could use any input or references from you guys. thanks

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Hopefully someone from around there will be able to recommend a vet for you. Have you tried to put it back in yourself. I don't have experience with it but many here on EBN will be able to help. Good Luck!!!

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Hm I recommend removal but its a personal decision n it appears you've already made it!!! It's so weird hearing that a vet won't remove it!! I'm upstate ny n I told my vet I wanted Porkys removed n he actually agreed n said stitching wouldn't have worked in her particular case!!! Ill see if I can find any for u it's Porkys nap time so I am the pillow n rather bored lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldogs-health/442-veterinarian-recommendations.html Here is a post of vets all around the country that specialize in bulldogs and you could read through that and see if there is one in your area. I think most vets agree to remove cherry eye I have never heard of one that wouldn't! Keep us updated!

I made a few calls to try to find one for her bcuz I'm bored lol n it's against the state board to do the removal in Texas but I private messages her one that quoted me a price for removal n didn't give me the its against the boards talk lol I just didn't want to put it here n get the vet in trouble :)

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I had Otis's cherry eye's removed (both eyes) and have had no problems with dry eye etc....

Hope you find someone, looks like Porkysmamma messaged you someone to call.

I have to say I am so jealous, San Antonio....our family vacationed there last year and I can't wait to go back - absolutely loved it there.

L

Lucy-licious

Hmm...seems like its an area thing.
If massaging the cherry back in doesnt work or it does but it pops multiple times a day I would opt for removal.
however if its a random pop that goes back in for a few weeks when massaged then racking might be a better option. The success rate on tacking depends on how stretched the ligament is that connects the 3rd lid. An over stretched ligament is more likely to result in the cherry eye popping again post surgery x

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My foster bully has cherry eye ...... this is the way I understand it.

Back in ye olden days .... all vets just removed it, and then they discovered that they can actually tack it back into place. But as [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION] said in her post ... sometimes that doesn't work because of how stretched/bad the cherry eye is. Then the only way is to remove it.

The disadvantage to removal is that later in life your bully could suffer from dry eye, but this is one of the more common ailments of a bully anyway so it could happen with or without removal.

In our case, we tried the cherry eye tacking in both of Bella's eyes. One of them worked perfectly but the other one did not. The one that popped out again is quite large and she has probably had it her entire life. So this friday she will be going back in to get it removed.

So my question to you is ... have you had the cherry eye looked at by your previous vet and did they say that it had to be removal??

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Hmm...seems like its an area thing.
If massaging the cherry back in doesnt work or it does but it pops multiple times a day I would opt for removal.
however if its a random pop that goes back in for a few weeks when massaged then racking might be a better option. The success rate on tacking depends on how stretched the ligament is that connects the 3rd lid. An over stretched ligament is more likely to result in the cherry eye popping again post surgery x

I have a question for u so when I give advice I am making sense lol our vet told us that porky had to much of the gland n he did what he called a partial removal he removed a good chunk of it but not the entire thing as to avoid issues in the future!!!! I would massage hers back in and an hour later it was out again :( but when her normal vet examined her she too said that stitching wouldn't hold because she had so much excess skin does that make sense??? Lol I want to make sure I'm not confusing ppl more!!!!!!!

L

Lucy-licious

I have a question for u so when I give advice I am making sense lol our vet told us that porky had to much of the gland n he did what he called a partial removal he removed a good chunk of it but not the entire thing as to avoid issues in the future!!!! I would massage hers back in and an hour later it was out again :( but when her normal vet examined her she too said that stitching wouldn't hold because she had so much excess skin does that make sense??? Lol I want to make sure I'm not confusing ppl more!!!!!!!

Sounds like your vet was just explaining it in a way you can understand easily. I am a nurse so my vet will use medical "jargon" and know I will understand...I sometimes forget that others might need it explained simply.
The excess skin and too much gland will most likely be caused by and partly the over stretched ligament :hug:
so yes it makes sense because to me it reads the same just different terminology xx

picture a balloon filled with water tied to an elastic/rubber band...stretch the band and let go..the balloon will bounce back into place. The more its stretched the less bouncy it is.
now picture the same balloon tied to a piece of stretchy string...not as bouncy as the elastic....stretch it and the balloon will pull on the string more and not bounce back to where it was. That's how a Cherry Eye works...the more it pops and stretches the gland/ligament/3rd lid/skin the less likely it is to go back to normal so eventually the only cure is removal. But if caught before its over stretched and tacked back it can be successful and stay back xx

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Sounds like your vet was just explaining it in a way you can understand easily. I am a nurse so my vet will use medical "jargon" and know I will understand...I sometimes forget that others might need it explained simply.
The excess skin and too much gland will most likely be caused by and partly the over stretched ligament :hug:
so yes it makes sense because to me it reads the same just different terminology xx

picture a balloon filled with water tied to an elastic/rubber band...stretch the band and let go..the balloon will bounce back into place. The more its stretched the less bouncy it is.
now picture the same balloon tied to a piece of stretchy string...not as bouncy as the elastic....stretch it and the balloon will pull on the string more and not bounce back to where it was. That's how a Cherry Eye works...the more it pops and stretches the gland/ligament/3rd lid/skin the less likely it is to go back to normal so eventually the only cure is removal. But if caught before its over stretched and tacked back it can be successful and stay back xx

:goodpost:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse

Very well explained :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online