Help Needed! Bulldog Breathing too loudly.

AstronautMoose

Oct 24, 2012
Fort Stewart, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
I know he isn't an English Bully. He's a little Frenchie named Napoleon, But oh my god he is sooo much louder than my Bulldog. He snorts like a little pig waddling around the house. We just adopted him the other day and noticed it might not be normal. He can't be on his back, it restricts his breathing. He chokes up food while he eats. And the noise. It's like someone has a weed whacker in the house. We can hear him snore from the other end of the house.

I have never had this problem with my bully so I'm not too familiar with it.

Any advice?

He does have a vet appointment.

040.jpg

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would get the vet to check his palette ... it's not uncommon for it to be elongated and that would cause the breathing noises and the difficulty to lie on his back. How old is he??? Often a vet will wait until they are older to do palette surgery .....

OP
AstronautMoose

AstronautMoose

Oct 24, 2012
Fort Stewart, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
We think he is about 2. He came from the humane society on post. They wanted to put him down because he was DEAF !

The guy who works there who adopted him never said anything about an elongated palette. But that is exactly what my husband thinks he has. So we set up an appointment! How much would it cost to do the surgery? Roughly.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Ummmmm....it can get $$$$! I think it was over a thousand for Chesty. But.....Orion on the other hand, she snores louder that my husband AND Vegas together. She sounds like she is snoring when she is wide awake. We had her checked for an elongated palate and the drs said she was fine. So, there might be hope yet. Oh...and that little one is CUTE!! Napoleon kinda looks like Orion with stand up ears!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Quotes for palette surgery really do vary around the country ..... so it would be wrong for me to even give you a $$$. i would take it one step at a time and see the vet first ... then post a new thread on here and I'm sure some members who also live in GA might have some input.

Palette surgeries in bullies ... french or english ... is not uncommon at all!!

OP
AstronautMoose

AstronautMoose

Oct 24, 2012
Fort Stewart, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
Ummmmm....it can get $$$$! I think it was over a thousand for Chesty. But.....Orion on the other hand, she snores louder that my husband AND Vegas together. She sounds like she is snoring when she is wide awake. We had her checked for an elongated palate and the drs said she was fine. So, there might be hope yet. Oh...and that little one is CUTE!! Napoleon kinda looks like Orion with stand up ears!

Yeah I hope he is just super loud too. Brock is loud after some play and when he snores. He's not too bad. And we had him checked too, just to make sure. I hope I get good news from the vet. Oh boy.

Quotes for palette surgery really do vary around the country ..... so it would be wrong for me to even give you a $$$. i would take it one step at a time and see the vet first ... then post a new thread on here and I'm sure some members who also live in GA might have some input.

Palette surgeries in bullies ... french or english ... is not uncommon at all!!

Yeah I tried to use google and I found nothing really. I saw someone say 600 and someone say 1500. So wasn't too much help. I hope it is on the lower end though. Would be nice. I don't want to see the poor little guy struggle to breathe though.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah I tried to use google and I found nothing really. I saw someone say 600 and someone say 1500. So wasn't too much help. I hope it is on the lower end though. Would be nice. I don't want to see the poor little guy struggle to breathe though.

Maybe plan on the higher end and then anything less will be a welcome suprise!! :yes: :up:

OP
AstronautMoose

AstronautMoose

Oct 24, 2012
Fort Stewart, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
Yeah me and the hubby are planning on the higher end. He has an appointment the 14th, so we'll know then if anything needs to be done. But I am almost sure he does need something.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It would be roughly $1200 at least... is my guess.. Our Frenchie is going to need palette reduction... our vet told us when he was 8 mths old but he will not do a procedure till he is at least 2 yrs old to ensure all his growing is done.

Good luck and keep us posted

OP
AstronautMoose

AstronautMoose

Oct 24, 2012
Fort Stewart, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
Well since it is a Military vet it won't cost too much. He is going back in sometime when I can get an appointment in the next couple weeks ( very busy ). She said a woman was quoted for a surgery off post that would have been 2,500 and they charged her a hair under 300. YAY! So at least some good news.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Just so ya know ............ I love french bulldogs but my hubby doesn't :down: ............ so you are now required to help me with my small obsession with posting THOUSANDS of pics of him!!!!! :heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well since it is a Military vet it won't cost too much. He is going back in sometime when I can get an appointment in the next couple weeks ( very busy ). She said a woman was quoted for a surgery off post that would have been 2,500 and they charged her a hair under 300. YAY! So at least some good news.

NICE!!! I can only hope one line item will be that amount on Cheli's bill

OP
AstronautMoose

AstronautMoose

Oct 24, 2012
Fort Stewart, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
Just so ya know ............ I love french bulldogs but my hubby doesn't :down: ............ so you are now required to help me with my small obsession with posting THOUSANDS of pics of him!!!!! :heart:

Haha! I will. How can you not like them!? They are so cute!

OP
AstronautMoose

AstronautMoose

Oct 24, 2012
Fort Stewart, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock
NICE!!! I can only hope one line item will be that amount on Cheli's bill

I know right. When we got Brock Neutered at about 2 the bill was over 300! I didn't know the military vet was cheaper so we never went on base. The Tech told me it's like that because they aren't there to make profit but there for the soldiers.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.