URGENT!!! Cystine Stones/Crystals + HU test

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

I have a male 2.5 yo that has recently been through two major surgeries related to Cystine stones/crystals. I add the slash because the crystals are the same as the stones but in different stages.

As a result, I need to have my other Bullies tested to see if they are free or are a carrier.

Here is some brief information about the problem;

Testing for Hyperuricosuria

Hyperuricosuria is characterized by the excretion of uric acid leading to urate stone formation. After the defective gene that causes hyperuricosuria was discovered by researchers at the University of California, Davis, a test was developed to detect the mutation associated with the disease. This test is valid for all breeds.

Dogs affected by hyperuricosuria have two copies of the mutation, one inherited from each parent. Dogs with only one copy of the mutation are symptom-free carriers who pass the mutation on to an average of 50 percent of their offspring. Breeders can use DNA testing to identify carriers and effectively eradicate hyperuricosuria from their lines in breeds other than Dalmatians. (At present, all Dalmatians registered by the American Kennel Club in the United States are affected by the mutation. When both dam and sire are clear of the mutation, all of their puppies will be clear as well.

The DNA test identifies dogs in three categories: clear of hyperuricosuria (the dog has two copies of the normal gene and no mutation), a carrier of hyperuricosuria (the dog has one copy of the normal gene and one of the mutation), or affected with hyperuricosuria (the dog has two copies of the mutation, causing high uric acid levels that can lead to urate stone disorders).

All dogs affected with hyperuricosuria are potential urate stone-formers. At any time, a combination of high-purine foods, insufficient fluids, insufficient opportunities to urinate, and overly acidic urine might cause the formation of urate uroliths. Periodic routine urinalysis to check for urate crystals can be used to monitor dogs with hyperuricosuria. The most accurate sample for this purpose is collected in the morning, assuming the dog has not urinated all night, so the urine is more concentrated. The sample should be collected in a clean glass, plastic, or other chemically inert container. To avoid false crystallization, the sample should not be refrigerated and should be tested within 30 minutes or as soon as possible.

Urolithiasis (Cystine) in Dogs

Urolithiasis is a medical term referring to the presence of crystals or stones in the urinary tract. When the stones are made up of cystine – a normal compound found in the body – they are called cystine stones. These stones can also be found in the kidneys and in the tubes connecting the kidneys to the animal's bladder (ureters).

Urolithiasis affects both dogs and cats, and are primarily found in adult animals. As far as dogs breeds: Dachshunds, English Bulldogs, Newfoundlands, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and Welsh Corgi Dogs are more susceptible to cystine stones.

Ultrasounds and X-rays are often performed to determine the size, shape, and location of the stones, helping the veterinarian come up with an appropriate treatment regimen. A urine test can also detect the presence of stones.

Since regular x-rays can detect these “special” kinds of stones/crystals, a dye is added to the bladder and then they show up in reverse contrast on an x-ray.

This is costly to have these emergency surgeries. Better to find out in advance and take precautions to prevent.

Good Day~

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I know RiiSi has some experience and what she had to do was modify her Usko's diet and all is well.

Pls let us know how the tests go.

OP
A

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi,

I did get in touch with [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] and did get some info.
They had a different type of stone problem, not the "Cystine" type. But did give me some good links for foods and research info.

I have a vet appt tomorrow for more follow-up....

...one day at a time,.... Sweet Jesus, .....is all I'm asking of you...........

Good Day~

L

Lucy-licious

We recently had this same scare with Billy our now 8 month old. Luckily although he did have crystals in his urine, no stones were detected on his USS. It turned out that Billy had a rare urine infection that caused the crystals so after a 4 week course of strong antibiotics he is both infection and crystal free :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION] - Sorry to hear you and your pup is going through all of this.

On a positive note, it's always wonderful to see a post from you.

pigbaxterboo

Oct 16, 2011
Portland,Dorset,UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter and George
My boy was diagnosed with cystine crystals this time last year, he blocked in the May. I changed him to a raw diet, add hydrangea tincture to his food/water and had him neutered...so far so good. Have you joined Dr Henthorns study into trying to find a DNA test for this? She's at UPenn. There's a yahoo group too, if you hadn't already found it called 'canine cystinuria' the DNA test you talk of for HUU is for urate stones, not cystine..they're still working on that one.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
So sorry to hear this!! :nope:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
@ABEBD...My prayers going up to the Heavens and before GOD Almighty on
your bullies and your, behalf. I am very sorry to hear this news and pray this
can be corrected w/diet & supplements and that your other bullies are clear.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.