Help Needed! Went from firm to runny poop

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hi, I am trying to figure out if I caused my own problem by over analyzing food amounts and weight.

Here is a little background. About 3 weeks ago I started the transition of Wellness Core Puppy to Fromm Beef Fritatta. Dozer is 4 months old and about 13 lbs. He has been 100 % on the Fromms for about 10 days now. I originally was feeding him 1/3 cups a day 3 times a day because that was consistent with feeding guidelines on the bag. After coming here regularly and reading some of the similar circumstances other people were having I realized I was not feeding him enough. I started to increase his food to 1/2 cup a day 3 times a day. His stools were fine, very firm and no issues. I then referenced the guideline on the puppy food for my baseeline. Based on this I should be less than 2 1/2 cups per day. I then increased his food to 3/4 cups 3 times per day. I noticed his stool was becoming progressively softer so I cut down the amount to 1/2 cup each feeding. This morning he ate as normal did his business at his usual 1 hr after eating but did another one about 45 mins later and this was a little soft. Now for his mid day feeding he I waited 45 mins later than his normal time as he was sleeping. He did his normal business before and it was soft where a little was sticking to the grass. I then gave him 1/2 cup of food and waited the normal hour. This time when he went out it was like soft serve ice cream.

My question is could this be the result of me over feeding him and what is the best approach for correcting the problem, skip a meal, a reduced meal, normal meal with pumpkin? And how much would you recommend I feed him as the guideline on the Beef Frittata bag seems to low and the guidelines on the puppy bag seem too high.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I would stick with 1/3 to 1/2 3 times a day like you were doing when he was fine and just add some pumpkin. Maybe he ate some grass or something that is throwing him off temporarily.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..I agree with the Bacon Dude! I could never increase Jake's food amount over 1 cup each feeding. Never! It immediately affected him. When he was a pup, he got 1/2 cup 3 times a day. I Ohhh so slowly increased to 1 cup twice a day while decreasing noon feeding until he was on two feedings a day.

Long answer short...go back to where he did well. They are all different.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Slow increase to 1/2 cup 3 times a day, and if that goes well for about a week slowly increase it. He should be eating 3/4 cups 3 times a day. Bruce when he was 4 months old weighed about 32 lbs. At 5 months old, he weighed about 40 lbs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thet gang has you covered..... good luck and keep us posted

OP
B

BullyDozer

Oct 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Thank you for all the responses. I went back to 1/3 cup and will do the slow increase after I get good results.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
YOu might want to still consider adding a bit of pumpkin to his meals for a couple of days just to help firm things up a bit and soothe his tummy!! :yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.