Other $300 later and Ellie is back home....

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Had a little bit of a scare over the weekend. We came home on Friday to see a big chunk of one of her towels missing. And before you guys scold me for not taking them out of her crate after her last towel eating episode a few weeks ago, it was out of her crate. ;) It was placed on top of her crate on the opposite side of her divider and I guess we didn't notice that a corner was hanging over onto her side. Well, we haven't seen it pass yet, but she did vomit twice. Once Saturday night and again this morning. Then late yesterday afternoon, her :poo: changed from its normal consistency to having the proper shape, but very loose and a light brown in color. So off to the vet we went this morning fearing that there might be an obstruction or blockage. Our vet did 2 sets of x-rays about an hour apart and saw that there was normal movement in her intestines as he could see something had moved from one part of her intestine further down. So that's a big plus that her body's doing what it's supposed to do. He also showed me the difference in the size of her stomach in the 2 sets of x-rays. He gave her a shot that is supposed to help relax her gastric system and also gave her pill to help prevent vomiting. He felt very encouraged to see that her intestines were in fact moving something, whether it's kibble of towel, and thought that she should pass it without an issue but to of course watch her. So here's hoping that it passes sooner rather than later.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Oh I am so glad she is ok and back home! How scary that must be!! Should be interesting to see what she passes!! Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:whew: so glad no surgery was needed!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..Jake considers towels ..and/or pieces of towels a real delicassy! He once ate..totally ate..half of a chenille pillow sham! :bang: it did all pass..but took about 2 weeks and came out both ways! I'm so happy Ellie is ok..

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
When I dropped Remi off to get neutered, and took him back to the kennel, I looked at the vet and said, "yeah... you'll want to get those newspapers out of there."

Bullys will eat anything! Amirite??

Very good news that Ellie will pass this!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Glad Ellie is doing okay, for anyone else reading this that has not gone through this yet. When you go to get your xrays done have them do a barium xray this way they can see if there is a soft tissue blockage like the one Ellie is experiencing. We went through several trips to the vet with Bacon when he had his blockage and if they did the barium xray the first time it would have saved us two more trips to the vet who told me that it wasn't a blockage the first two times when I suggested it was based on my experiences with him when he had eaten stuff as a puppy.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I totally understand , I have Dozer who I swear thinks he's a goat. He eats absolutely everything outside, sticks, grass clumps, dirt, rocks, wood chips,and inside small toys, paper towel, newspaper, shoes, and his favourite socks. He swallowed socks on us twice , the first one we didn't know about, and he threw it up, and the second one we also didn't know about , but he got really sick, one weekend, and started with diarrhea, then vomiting 4 times, drooling water from his mouth, and very lethargic , just slept, we took him to the vet and they gave him a X-ray, which showed a shadow in his colon and intestines, which meant the object had moved throw his intestines. They gave him IV fluids, pain medications, and a laxative, and sent me home with fibre food. We fed him 1 Tbsp every hour to help move the intestines. We thought he was going to have to have surgery that night, but he did pass it that night, and passed my Grandsons' little sock. That cost us $500 for the day, and he's cost us $300 on two other occasions for X-rays, one for a bone he swallowed. My two can't have any thing soft, no blankets, no pillow, no towels, no stuffed toys, we only give them Kong toys. We also learned our lesson about leaving stuff around or on top of the crate. My husband came home one night, and placed his jacket on the floor beside the crate, next thing I know Dozer had pulled the coat through the bars, and was chewing on his coat, another time my husband placed the leash and collars on top of the crate, and Dozer again pulled it into the crate and was chewing on his leash and collar. My friend actually had one of her bullies eat a leash and collar. They had hired a dog wallker, and the person hung the leash in a different place, one of her bullies, (the family have six between the parents, son and daughter. ), took the leash and collar and swallowed it. They knew it was missing
from the house , but never imagined it had been eaten , until one day the dog had the leash sticking out of its butt. They took him to the vet and they did surgery and removed the leash and collar. So you never know what these guys will get into and eat. Don't beat yourself up over it, we live and learn, it's happened to any people on here, and most of the time they do pass it on their own. Just continue to watch him, and hopefully he'll pass the towel, it can take up to a week. My Dozer also ate his gauze and bandage from his IV site after surgery at the vets. When he was in recovery, they left him for 5 mins, and when the vet went to check on him, he had chewed off the bandaid and gauze and swallowed it. Back on the fibre food, and he passed it a week later. Silly Bullies. Lol. There is a good article called The Dangers When Dogs Swallow Foreign Objects, written by JeannieCo on the EBN Articles forum. It's under subtitle Bulldog Stories. You'll be amazed by what some of these guys have eaten.

Last edited:

Bootsieboo

Jan 4, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Boots
Wow!!! We have had boots since Christmas and she somehow ate paper towels. She threw then up and is fine. Glad to know I need to be even more careful!

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
It's been a great night. With a little bit of help, Ellie passed her towel remnants and curled up on the love seat with me while the wife worked out. After about an hour of Ellie asleep on and between my feet on the love seat, I pulled her up onto my chest where she stayed passed out for the next hour.....tongue hanging out and all. I think it's safe to say that she is downright tuckered out.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I"m so glad to hear that Ellie was able to pass the towel bits, what a relief. So happy she is okay and didn't need surgery. Phew

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
So glad she is ok! Sometimes its worth the money just to be safe!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Phew so glad that she passed it herself ..... and I'm saying this as the owner of a bully who eats anything and everything. LUCKILY so far, Linus has thrown everything up but it can sometimes be a good week to 10 days before it appears!! I'm praying that at some point he's going to stop doing this!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.