Help Needed! yeast infection or skin allergy???

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
20130106_214809.jpg

20130106_214837.jpg

20130106_214502.jpg

i saw kazzy200 post about her pup on the head so I checked Major and noticed that he had similar symptoms. In the 1st picture, he has been having these bumps in the last 3 months, but we thought it was just the weather that irritated it. Now, in the second picture, you can see the hair loss where the bumps were and dried scabs underneath. The last 2-3 weeks, he started to get the bumps on top of his head with addition of an odor. It seems more severe than the body bumps because the head ones are red, wet, and hair loss. So now, I am not sure if these symptoms are correlated to each other. Today We tried to bathe him with DOUXO shampoo and soaked him with apple cider vinegar. Tomorrow he will be visiting the vet, but they will probably just say he is allergic again; but he has been on the same diet since we got him 10 months ago. *Fromm gold holistic with yogurt/extra virgin olive oil*

His feces is firm/normal in color and doesn't have tear stains or any other symptoms.

If you have an idea on what is going on with Major, please let me know. Thank you have a great day:2thumbs:

major says help me :)

IMG_20130102_154017_zps5af7fb6b.jpg

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
O yea it's not mange I believe , major had it before , this is just small tiny spots . He does scratches but not a lot.

Last edited:

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Does he smell like fritos??? That's usually a good indicator of yeast a corn chippy smell!!!! Hot spots r usually open n wet, staph is usually crusty n scabby, n yeast smells like well fritos!!!! Someone with more to offer will be along shortly lol but I'd say if u don't think it's mange then it's probably allergy idk what hives look like on dogs let me look n get back to ya!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Hmm u stumped me bcuz the scabs u described sound like staph, the open wet spots sound like hot spots, n the bumps on the side do look like hives, n the smell u mentioned (if its fritoy) sounds like yeast!!!! Which all indicate allergies!!!!! Hopefully someone else will give u better insight shortly lol keep us updated though please!!!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=4468]xskyzx[/MENTION] - Don't forget to come back and let us know what you found out!

*Bump* too - so we're sure everyone has seen this.

Bootsieboo

Jan 4, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Boots
Would also like to know what the vet says. We just got a 5 month old female puppy and she came with some bumps on her belly. Their vet said allergic reaction bc they sprayed her bedding with Lysol :/ then when we removed her collar found some large crusty scabs under it. We have switched her food and been giving her baths but the scabs actually span from neck to tail and if you mess with them they becom wet and the hair comes out with the scab. The only smell is like a stinky dog smell but it starts very soon after her bath. No itching at all. Thank you for any advice.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Would also like to know what the vet says. We just got a 5 month old female puppy and she came with some bumps on her belly. Their vet said allergic reaction bc they sprayed her bedding with Lysol :/ then when we removed her collar found some large crusty scabs under it. We have switched her food and been giving her baths but the scabs actually span from neck to tail and if you mess with them they becom wet and the hair comes out with the scab. The only smell is like a stinky dog smell but it starts very soon after her bath. No itching at all. Thank you for any advice.

That one sounds like staph porky had one very tiny spot of staph on her belly n it was crusty until I cleaned it then the hair came out n it was wet everyone on here told me I was lucky bcuz I treated it n stopped it b4 it spread!!!! She needs antibiotics n prolly steroids to clear it up so a trip to the vet should be in ur future!!!!! What food do u feed her??

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
On the belly bumps, the scabs under the bumps is small some have scabs some just red with tiny hair loss.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Hm I'm sure ur vet will do a skin scrape if not I'd ask for one to determine exactly what it is but it does sound to me like a mixture of the three n it would be caused by allergies!!!! A lot of bulldogs r allergic to poultry as well as grains (flaxseed, wheat etc) a reaction that bad would have me saying its gotta be his food!!!!! I'm sure they would know more than me so ill try to tag some others in here that may be able to offer u more help :)
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Unfortunately I can not see the pictures cause I am at work and the images are blocked. So going of what is written -- it sounds like a staph infection, which is cause by a weakened immune system and that is usually from allergies. However, the allergies could be environemetal -- grass, tress, weed, dust, etc.

If it is staph, the vet will give you a high dosage of antibiotics and Major will be on them for a long time... 3-4 weeks.

GOOD luck and keep us posted.

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
the vets gave me this and see how it will turn out in a month
20130107_162844.jpg

she want me to change his to this but i havent get it yet: bc i want to research more more the food before i give to to major.
20130107_162900.jpg

any ideas on any of this drugs, shampoo and food?

im already use [h=1]Douxo Chlorhexidine PS,[/h]

thank you guys

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What are the pils can not read the label

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.