Help Needed! yeast infection or skin allergy???

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
one is proxetll (antibiotic)
the others is hydroxyzine (stronger dose kinda like benadryl?)
n the shapoo is benasoothe

and she recommended to switch major diet to RC canine hypo (hydrolyzed protein moderate calorie)

i told her i been feeding major FRomm but she never heard of that brand.

thankS

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
one is proxetll (antibiotic)
the others is hydroxyzine (stronger dose kinda like benadryl?)
n the shapoo is benasoothe

and she recommended to switch major diet to RC canine hypo (hydrolyzed protein moderate calorie)

i told her i been feeding major FRomm but she never heard of that brand. thankS

I agree with everything except the food.... most vets just push what is in their office or what they get a kick back on. Most of the food they sell is good for a short period of time, but not for life or the long haul. The meds will get the infection out of his system and the shampoo will help clear up his skin.... What Fromm are you feeding?

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
Fromm gold holistic , but I'm scared he might be allergic to the food? For now I'm trying to do vinegar/peroxide n water n shampoo him w duoxo. If he doesn't get better till this weekend I will start the medicine and the shampoo the vet gave me...
Should I do that or start the medicines now? I just hate too use medicines when u don't really have too. Thanks

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with all the above comments, and good advice. The only thing i can add is while Fromms is a excellent food, (my 2 are on Fromms Beef , because of allergies to chicken, salmon, corn, and grains) I had them on the Fromms Puppy Gold, but it is chicken based, and they deveoped rashes, diarreha, red and pink colourd ears, faces, chins, and itchy red feet. You can switch between all the Fromms foods without having to transition them. Might be worth a try. Good Luck, I hope you find what is causing the skin problems. Get better Major. Keep us posted

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree totally with the medication but definitely not with the RC food.

I know you are already feeding the Fromm Gold ... but the Fromm 4* range is actually the next step up. It is better quality, so you might want to consider switching him to one of the 4* flavours. Many bullies are allergic to grain and in the Fromm 4* there are FOUR different flavours that are all grain free. However, out of those four only one of them is chicken free too and that is the Beef Frittata. Of course, your bully may not be allergic to chicken but I think I would try swtiching to the Beef anyway if I were you. I'm sure it would help feeding him a better food. The Royal Canin is actually a much worse food then you are currently feeding so I see no advantages to using that!

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
i thought the fromm i am feeding him is grain free?
i do not like to switch to different fromm bc i been feeding him this since he 2 months now hes almost a yr, nothing wrong before(healthy pulse, no tear stains no scratches) . so i should switch it to different fromm anyway?

and i should start with the medicines now? or wait till the weekend till i finished with cleaning him vinegar/peroxide n water n shampoo him w duoxo.
i try not to give him medicines unless i have too.
thank guys.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
i thought the fromm i am feeding him is grain free?
i do not like to switch to different fromm bc i been feeding him this since he 2 months now hes almost a yr, nothing wrong before(healthy pulse, no tear stains no scratches) . so i should switch it to different fromm anyway?

and i should start with the medicines now? or wait till the weekend till i finished with cleaning him vinegar/peroxide n water n shampoo him w duoxo.
i try not to give him medicines unless i have too.
thank guys.

Hmmm ... as far as I know all the Fromm Gold range has grains in .... from what I can see they all certianly have chicken in, so if he has developed an allergy to chicken then none of the Gold range is going to be of benefit to him.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Fromm gold holistic , but I'm scared he might be allergic to the food? For now I'm trying to do vinegar/peroxide n water n shampoo him w duoxo. If he doesn't get better till this weekend I will start the medicine and the shampoo the vet gave me...
Should I do that or start the medicines now? I just hate too use medicines when u don't really have too. Thanks

Get on the meds now.... the infection is in his system not just on the skin. The shampoo just helps clear the skin.

As for the Fromm... the Gold line is not grain or chicken free. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] can give more details, but I feed the grain -free and switch between flavors (without chicken) with no issues. Beef Frittata and Game Bird are what works for Banks.

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
thanks, im going ahead to order it now,.and see the food will help him. surprised how fast he change from not allergic to the food till now.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well in the land of bullies things can change fast sometimes. i agree start the meds now and use the shampoo the vet gave you. i looked it up but it doesnt look like it has anything in it for bacteria just stuff for itching. you may want to add in the duoxo ps shampoo or get some hibiclenz from the drug store to put on the spots if they do not start clearing up soon. it looks from the pictures you have several things going on. possible hot spots on the head as you describe wetness with some staff bumps and looks like hives on the side but could just be staff as they are scabbing with hair loss. then again could all just be allergies. these seem to indicate a change in food is needed. the food you are feeding is not grain free. you may want to do a bland diet of beef and rice and see if your baby gets better or you can try one of the grain free 4 star foods possibly beef fritatta. also watch any treats that are given to. keep us updated on how they are.

Last edited:

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
thanks, im going ahead to order it now,.and see the food will help him. surprised how fast he change from not allergic to the food till now.

I hear ya there lol I'm dealing with the same thing almost a year old never had an allergy then bam biting paws pink face n a tiny spot of staph infection on the belly I think their enzymes in their digestive tracts change as they get older I know it does with humans anyways!!!!! Hopefully ur boy will get better n u won't have any more troubles :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
http://www.petflow.com/product/from...ritionals-chicken-la-veg-formula-dry-dog-food

http://www.petflow.com/product/fromm/fromm-grain-free-beef-frittata-veg-dry-dog-food

i dont know which one should i get should i keep feeding him the one with chicken bc he might not be allergic to the chicken just the Grains that giving him trouble?
or totally switch to beef frittata?

thanks

Just my opinion... But i would go right to the beef

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.