General Question Winston's eyes

Pennview79

Dec 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston (Winnie the Pooh Bear :-) )
My puppy Winston has a cherry eye. It looks so ugly! I took him to the vet and they don't seen very concerned at this point. They gave us eye drops and said it should help. It has been 4 days and we have seen absolutely no improvement. I understand that this can be a common problem for bulldogs and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for us?

065.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sometimes you can message it back in, if not then surgery will need to be performed to correct it. I would see a good bully vet for the surgery, because if it is not done properly, they will have dry eye and require eye drops for the rest of his life.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know it looks painful but it isn't. We have lots of members who have dealt ith this. I I'll tag a few who might have more info. In the meantime..do a search for cherry eye here and you will find lots of great info!

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]..[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION]

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, my female Blossom developed cherry eye when she was 5 months old , It came out fairly small at 1st and I was able to massage it back in, for a while. I used Refresh eye drops from the pharmacy , so it wouldn't get irritated. The more the eye is exposed to the air, it gets dried out and irritated. The vet said not to let Blossom stick her head out the car window when driving because the wind drys out the eye and is irritating. When the cherry eye gets dryed out it swells and gets bigger. I wouldn't stay in after a while, especially after she played or rough housed with her brother or another dog. So when she was spayed at 7 months old, we had her eye repaired so she only had to be put under anesthetic once. That was the plan at least, but unfortunately her other eye came out a week after her surgeries, and it came out full blown. Usually when they develop cherry eye, one eye will come out first, then 2 to 3 months later , the other one will also come out. We thought we were free and clear for the other eye, because they were a few months apart. We had the second eye repaired a month after the first surgeries. The first operations of spay and neuter cost $850 for both, and the second operation for just the one eye cost almost $900 because she had to be put under anesthetic again, IV fluids, medications, etc, but when she was spayed she was already under so it's considered a secondary operation, so is cheaper. The first eye was $250 plus the spay. If we had known or waited one week , she could have had all 3 surgeries at the same time , and not have to be put under a second time. We have Petsecure insurance, so 80 % is covered, but it's more risky for Buulies to be put under anesthetic with their breathing problems. Their are 2 methods which can be done to repair cherry eye, one is to remove the third eyelid altogether, and there are members who have done this method on their dogs with no problems, and other people who have done it and had problems with dry eye. The other method is to have the eyelid stitched back in. My vet only used this method, and she's been doing this surgery for over 20 years, and has a 85% success rate with a technique of her own that she uses. We were very happy with the results of both eyes, the vet did a really great job and her eyes are beautiful. She had an antibiotic eye cream with a steroid in it for 2 weeks post surgery to control swelling, and other than not being allowed to run or jump for a week after, there weren't any problems post- op, and she healed really well. The choice of which method you use is one you have to make with your vet, there isnt a right or wrong answer. Ask your vet lots of questions, which method he uses and why, what he recommends, and then do some research about cherry eye, I looked on Google, as well as the forums on here and asked my vet questions, then went home and made my informed decision. There is no rush to get the surgery done, as there is no pain with cherry eye , it just doesn't look too nice, and if left for a long time, exposed to the air it will swell. You have time to research it, and think, then make your decision. The other thing is to consider Winstons' age, if he is younger than neuter age usually 6 or 7 months old, then it's better to wait and have both surgeries done together, to avoid anesthetic twice, and also it's cheaper to do all surgeries together. Good luck, I hope you are one of the lucky ones where it goes away , but if not it can be fixed, so don't worry. Winston will be fine. Keep us posted

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Awww he's so handsome I agree with [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] it's a personal decision you n ur vet have to make together n ur vet should be able to tell you if stitching will work for ur boy!!!! Our vet ended up going home sick the day we had everything scheduled for porky so b4 they just let another vet do the surgeries they called n spoke with me!!!! Of course I ended up with the one vet I didn't care for (he called me neurotic bcuz she didn't eat for 2 days n I rushed her in thinking she had parovirus a$$ lol) but ne ways he discussed in depth the cherry eye n said he didn't feel stitching would work for her bcuz she has so much extra skin to her third eyelid he would have to stitch it so much that it would probably irritate her eyes so I asked about removal n he opted for a partial removal he didn't remove the entire gland just the excess skin so a) she should never have a problem with dry eye b) there's not enough of it left though to prolapse n c) he guaranteed his work :) so if she does get another cherry eye he will do a full removal for no charge!!!!! I was more than satisfied with the turn out this poor man worked on porky for almost 8 hours :( (she needed to have her vulva repositioned as well, umbilical hernia repaired n be spayed) n believe it or not when it's removed there's no real recovery they told me just watch for swelling (no ointment no drops) if I get another bully it will be a no brained but again vikinggirl is correct it's a personal decision n u should talk to your vet and continue to get advice n research :) best of luck n keep us updated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Good luck whichever route you decide to go, they look so sad when they have cherry eye even though it supposedly doesn't bother them

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online