Help Needed! need help , something may be wrong with lucy!

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
ok, please ANYONE who has had this problem!....i just got Lucy last week at 12 weeks old from a great breeder, she was vet checked wormed and had shots..I am very concerned as I have noticed in this past week, WHENEVER she gets very active, running around, playing hard or panting, she will vomit everything in her stomach(not spit up, actually heave and vomit alot) and then keep playing...shes not sick...but I am so scared this is a bad thing because it happens when she gets active and/or her heart rate goes up, I'm worried because her brother had a level 3 murmur...she does not but this doesn't seem right at all,,,i am going to ask my vet tomorrow but was wondering if anyone saw this happen with their puppies and is it a bulldog thing? should I keep her from running around really hard? she is ok if shes just running slowly to fetch things but it always happens when she really exerts herself,...and she didn't just eat or drink that doesn't have anything to do with it, only exercise... please let me know I'm super concerned for my baby girl:*(

Okkkk I've never had it happen n my breeder was far from great lol buttttt she was neurotic about one thing n that was food I fed 2/3 cups 3 times a day n I "had" to wet n microwave the food!!! Now like I said my breeder was far from great but I went through my bulldog care book she gave me n in it she wrote to prevent vomiting on exertion (sounds kinda like what poor Lucy is doing) prepare food as follows 2/3 cup eagle packs puppy 1/2 cup water microwave for 30 seconds stir and microwave for another 15 seconds!!! Not saying u need to do that but I've heard a lot of puppies will vomit their kibble up bcuz they don't drink enough even though they drink so it just basically lubes the food n makes it digest easier!!!!! Plus it won't hurt her if u want to give it a try with what u feed her!!!!!! Hugs for u n Lucy :) let us know how she's doing!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston (8 months) will throw up sometimes and it could be up to three hours after eating. He did it more when he was a small pup. Sometimes he is just playing to hard with another dog or just on a walk. He mainly did this in the summer but two weeks ago we took him on a snowy trail and at the end he threw up twice. I think Winston does it because he is too excited. Maybe that is why Lucy is?

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
ok ...i asked in a thread the other day about how much to feed her and most responses were 3/4 cup three times a day because she svery stocky and built but i will try to reduce it ..shes a hungry girl:)

My vet says they should go at their food like they are starving to death. Rudy's breeder wasn't happy with us because Rudy wasn't growing as fast as his fat brother. I try to go somewhere in the middle. Mila is 8-1/2 months and eats about 2-1/4 cups a day plus about 1-1/2 TSP of cottage cheese. She had soft, really soft, stools when we brought her home at 9 weeks @ 2-1/2 cups a day. After a visit to the vet, We cut her back to about 1-1/2 cups and she was fine. Whenever we tried to increase the amount too fast she would get soft stools. We try to use the feel the ribs method. If they have ribs with meat they are good. If they have "rib" they are fat. If the ribs are too pronounced (no meat on the bones) they are too skinny. Your dog food may have a higher or lower energy content so please use my suggestions and others as a guideline.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lots of good info given.... I would try to keep her settled for about a half-hour after eating to see if that also helps

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I think you got all the info you need, I would say too if she is devouring her food consider getting a slow feed bowl. Good luck

Members online

No members online now.