Help Needed! need help , something may be wrong with lucy!

Luci Jo's mama

Jan 1, 2013
fleetwood pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Luci Jo
ok, please ANYONE who has had this problem!....i just got Lucy last week at 12 weeks old from a great breeder, she was vet checked wormed and had shots..I am very concerned as I have noticed in this past week, WHENEVER she gets very active, running around, playing hard or panting, she will vomit everything in her stomach(not spit up, actually heave and vomit alot) and then keep playing...shes not sick...but I am so scared this is a bad thing because it happens when she gets active and/or her heart rate goes up, I'm worried because her brother had a level 3 murmur...she does not but this doesn't seem right at all,,,i am going to ask my vet tomorrow but was wondering if anyone saw this happen with their puppies and is it a bulldog thing? should I keep her from running around really hard? she is ok if shes just running slowly to fetch things but it always happens when she really exerts herself,...and she didn't just eat or drink that doesn't have anything to do with it, only exercise... please let me know I'm super concerned for my baby girl:*(

Attachments

• 20130102_132946.jpg
    20130102_132946.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I would definitely keep her from really exerting herself until you take her to the vet tomorrow ... I don't have any experience in this but I am going to try to get some with more experience to help @desertskybulldogs @Davidh @Sherry I wish I had some excellent advice but sadly I just don't but I really hope that Lucy will check out with a clear bill of health at the vets tomorrow ... please keep us updated!

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I've never heard of this from any other Bulldog owners, and have never had experience with this, but was just wondering if Lucy does this just after eating, or if its long after she eats? Maybe if she's running or playing after a meal, it's upsetting her stomach? I always crate my two pups for 15 to 20 minutes after they have eaten, until their stomachs settle, otherwise they run and jump and horseplay with each other, and sometimes when they were smaller they would have a little tinkle accident because they were excited. I also do it because I read that sometimes if they get really excited or run too much right after eating, they can get a twisted intestine, and it can cause stomach problems. Then they go out for their duties and their fine. If Lucy is just getting sick anytime she runs around, then I would definitely, take her to the vet, and have her checked out, and ask him what could be causing this. My other question is, is this something new, or has she always done this? Could she maybe have swallowed something you don't know about, and have some kind of obstruction in her stomach? It's definitely , something to see the vet for if the vomiting doesn't stop. I hope it's nothing serious, and that you an figure out what's causing the vomiting, sending hugs, and prayers for you and Lucy, that she gets better. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Try to let her rest about an hour after she eats before letting her play to see if that helps. Plus are you feeding her 3 times a day, or just twice? If twice a day her little tummy may just be too full, so try 3 times a day.

OP
Luci Jo's mama

Luci Jo's mama

Jan 1, 2013
fleetwood pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Luci Jo
it doesnt happen after eating or drinking, I always make sure an hour or two goes by before she plays hard and I feed her 3/4 cup three times a day..I am worried it may be a heart issue:crying: I dont care I am so in love with her she is the sweetest girl, so submissive and loving and cuddles with me non stop, kisses me to death and learning so fast shes already housebroken! I wouldn"t return her or trade her, I would deal with it..I am just scared

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like you are doing everything right as far as feeding her. I have no clue what might be causing this. I would check with your vet to see if he has any ideas.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: Franklin did that a couple times when we would be outside an I would let his leash go an he would run to his dad & grace he would run really fast an as soon as he would stop he would vomit it would just be water though but if its happening a lot I would be a little worried good luck I hope everything goes well an you find out what's wrong

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have no idea what it could be! I hope things get better fast and please keep us updated!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I know of a bulldog that comes to our EB meet ups and if his owner feeds him before play time he throws up all his food. I ve seen Chubbs throwing up like 3-5 times because he plays so hard that he can't keep his food down.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Does she inhale her food? Often if they do this and are able to actually keep it down, it won't digest properly and will come up looking like undigested food. Don't panic...your vet would've told you if she had a heart murmur. One of Jakes Brothers had one but all the other brothers were fine.

OP
Luci Jo's mama

Luci Jo's mama

Jan 1, 2013
fleetwood pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Luci Jo
OK thanks everyone.. she just seems to get sick of she gets active and that's odd..my poor baby can't have no fun:(

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
IMHO 3/4 cup 3 times a day is too much at 13 weeks. Maybe try cutting him back to 1/2 cup 3 times a day? Also, you didn't mention, are the stools soft or nicely formed? Soft can be a sign of over feeding.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Orion will throw up if she exerts herself at any time. It may be a palate issue also. Did they check her for an elongated palate and/or abnormally small trachea?

OP
Luci Jo's mama

Luci Jo's mama

Jan 1, 2013
fleetwood pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Luci Jo
IMHO 3/4 cup 3 times a day is too much at 13 weeks. Maybe try cutting him back to 1/2 cup 3 times a day? Also, you didn't mention, are the stools soft or nicely formed? Soft can be a sign of over feeding.

ok ...i asked in a thread the other day about how much to feed her and most responses were 3/4 cup three times a day because she svery stocky and built but i will try to reduce it ..shes a hungry girl:)

OP
Luci Jo's mama

Luci Jo's mama

Jan 1, 2013
fleetwood pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Luci Jo
Orion will throw up if she exerts herself at any time. It may be a palate issue also. Did they check her for an elongated palate and/or abnormally small trachea?

very good things to ask vet, thank you!! and im glad lucy isnt the only one!!!!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online