Help Needed! Short sharp breaths

Daisy08

Jan 6, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
My 10 month old bulldog has just started taking short sharp breaths when she lays down to relax, even if she hasn't done anything active. She gets walked everyday so I know she's healthy, it's only just started a few days ago. We changed her food this week because she refused to eat what she usually has so I'm thinking could it be allergic reaction to something in the food?

any advice would be appreciated thanks

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I don't have any experience with this but will tag some who might have some insight.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]..[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I've been having short sharps breaths lately too, but I think it's cause I am over weight! LOL

Serious, is it too warm in the house? Carpet allergies? Bertie breathes funny some times, but it's just her...being over excited. I wouldn't be too worried about it unless she really starts acting differently.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Check her gum and tongue color when she is doing this. They should be nice and pink. If they look bluish purple at all and she's not getting enough oxygen. However it is not uncommon for puppies to breathe really fast while they're sleeping. Is it when she is sleeping or is she wide-awake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
D

Daisy08

Jan 6, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
It's when she's just starting to go to sleep, she's fine when she eventually falls asleep and is fine when she's fully awake. It's winter here in England so it's not too warm at all. It's about 20c in the house and we don't have carpets down. She seems perfectly normal in herself apart from that

Thanks
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Last edited by a moderator:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like it is normal to me, Like [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said, check her gums and if they ar nice and pink, she is fine. They breath like that sometimes, when they sleep.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It could be the REM mode when she hits full tilt sleep. Some of mine do that when they first fall deep asleep. Check her gum and tongue like suggested, and please keep us posted.

Stoagie713

Sep 12, 2012
Vacaville, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stoagie
My Stoagie would do this too, I was worried at first and it kept me up at night until I found out it was normal.[:

Most Reactions