Help Needed! Bogeys Poop!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Hi all! Need some help from the food "gurus"[SUP]: Bogey had that episode of vomiting 3 days ago. His poop was soft, but not diarrhea. We put him on nothing but boiled hamburger and rice for 2 days. Yesterday, we started him back on his kibble, as he was STARVING! Yesterday am he had a perfectly formed stool! At lunch time, I increased the kibble to almost 50/50. No poop all afternoon. So, for dinner last night I gave him 75% kibble, and the rest just plain boiled rice (no beef). He did great, had his last poop at 8pm which was soft, but formed.

This morning, gave him just kibble with a tablespoon of white rice, and he has had 2 VERY loose stools, almost runny.

Now what?

I really feel if it were a parasite, he would not have any formed stools, this seems to be sporadic.
He has not had any new treats.

I was giving him pumpkin too, but when the stools started loosening up, I stopped it thinking this was the culprit.

Is is possible this food is too rich for him? Since being on the Fromm's he has had random loose stools, but then again, some good formed ones too!

Any help out there? Should I go back to the burger and rice today? Otherwise he is very happy, active and normal.
[/SUP]

MariaRosa

Jan 6, 2013
Montreal, Qc
Bulldog(s) Names
Sofia
Hi ! I had the same problem with my puppy ! She was on Royal Canin and doing good but one day she started vomiting and having diarrhea. I did like you and gave her hamburger and rice but the minute I gave her kibbles, she would start being sick again ! So I just switched food and she started feeling good immediatly ! She has been on Pro Plan for 4 months now and doing great !

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I am not a food Guru, by any means. But the kibble may well be what is causing him to be ill. I know you've probably said it in another thread, but I'll go ahead and ask the inevitable questions. What kind of food are you feeding him? How many cups at each feeding? And I am remembering that Bogey is still young, just how old is he to refresh my memory?

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7307]Tracy T[/MENTION]: Bogey is almost 12 weeks. He came to us at 8 weeks on Eukanuba. I transitioned him slowly (almost 2 weeks) to Fromms Large Breed puppy. I had been giving him 3/4 cup in morning, 1/2 cup noon, rounded 1/2 cup evening. I am adding pumpkin (about a tbsp) or cottage cheese. He was doing "Ok" on it. He had upwards of 6-7 poops a day, some were firm, some were "soft serve". I had tried some different treats on him, but I have limited him now to just some freeze dried one (grain free) which he does well with. Then he got this vomiting. I expected diarrhea, but it didn't surface. He was doing just great so we put him back on the puppy food, and this morning he had 2 really runny stools! All he had for breakfast was his kibble and rice. But later on this morning he did have a good formed stool. That is why I am not thinking parasite. In retrospect, I think it may be the food. Could it be too rich for him? Maybe I should switch to all stages instead of puppy food. I can't give him any less, he is already eating under what the recommendation is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I don't think that it is the amount of food, no. It does sound like maybe the large breed puppy food isn't agreeing with him. I know there is another thread going on right now on the merits of large breed food in general for our bulldogs but I haven't paid as much attention to it as I probably should.

Do you feed him any kind of Pro-biotic outside of what may be in the kibble? Often, after my husband or I have been ill, I will force feed him some yogurt or some buttermilk to re-establish the good bacteria in our bowels. Sometimes these things deplete for any number of reasons, and this is why lots of people feed a dollop of plain yogurt on top of their dog's food, too. Just the plain, not the flavored. Our bullies don't need the sugar and flavorings.

Like I said, I'm no guru on feedings, but I would start with a bit of healthy yogurt on my dog, and go from there.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
It could be that you are putting him back on the kibble to fast also. Maybe try slowing things down and making a slower transition. Also Lola was on the fromm puppy but the pink bag I don't think it was large puppy kind. I hope he gets better soon!

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]: thankyou! I was never really thrilled with the consistency of his stool. He will have a good one sometimes, but mostly it's soft serve. I truly believe whatever "bug" he had a few days ago, has resolved. At lunch today I gave him only kibble and some pumpkin. He had no stool after lunch (which happens sometimes). We'll see what happens later today. I am sticking to just kibble- will even cut out the pumpkin. He is acting fine and is very active, so I really don't want to keep him on just the rice and beef. Any further info would be greatly appreciated!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok im no puppy expert but i believe there have been many members who have had problems with vomiting and diarrhea in their puppies. could be a bug could be the food maybe something else. i would cut out the cottage cheese or any diary as some dogs do not do well with it. you could also try to just add the beef with it and not the rice and see if the stool firms up. maybe add some canned food to the kibble just a bit. keep us updated please and im sure a puppy expert will be along soon. maybe a vitamin to every other day to make sure he is getting his nutrients and a probiotic.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like you have some good advise about. It might have been a little too quick to put him back on his kibble. It could also be a little too much kibble, try cutting back just a little to see if that helps, if not then the protein in the kibble is not agreeing with him. Just keep us updated on his progress.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hi all! Need some help from the food "gurus"[SUP]: Bogey had that episode of vomiting 3 days ago. His poop was soft, but not diarrhea. We put him on nothing but boiled hamburger and rice for 2 days. Yesterday, we started him back on his kibble, as he was STARVING! Yesterday am he had a perfectly formed stool! At lunch time, I increased the kibble to almost 50/50. No poop all afternoon. So, for dinner last night I gave him 75% kibble, and the rest just plain boiled rice (no beef). He did great, had his last poop at 8pm which was soft, but formed.

This morning, gave him just kibble with a tablespoon of white rice, and he has had 2 VERY loose stools, almost runny.

Now what?

I really feel if it were a parasite, he would not have any formed stools, this seems to be sporadic.
He has not had any new treats.

I was giving him pumpkin too, but when the stools started loosening up, I stopped it thinking this was the culprit.

Is is possible this food is too rich for him? Since being on the Fromm's he has had random loose stools, but then again, some good formed ones too!

Any help out there? Should I go back to the burger and rice today? Otherwise he is very happy, active and normal.
[/SUP]

When you transition from one food to another, it should take you about 10 days, 1 tbs. of pumpkin a day is all you give if the stool is lose. Pumpkin is a fiber and it can do the reverse if given too much. Yogurt also will loosen the stool if given more than a tbs. go slow

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.