Help Needed! My new bully is not sleeping no more than 15-20 minutes at a time

brwneyes6269

Jan 5, 2013
Union, South Carolina, United States
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Caroline and Piper
I just adopted Oliver 2 days ago and he has yet to sleep through the night, he is waking me up by jumping off the bed then whines wanting back on the bed. I take him out and he goes every single time. He is 3 years old according to previous owner ( which i personally think he is a little younger). When I got him he was all bones and has a cold in his eyes. I gave him benadryl and that didn't even make him sleep, It's like he is on PATROL all night long. Oh and he was left outside by the previous owners also. What can I do to help him sleep he has to be as tired as I am...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor baby left outside. Why do people get a dog and then banish them outside to be alone. ? If you're not willing to treat them like part of the family why have a pet? Anyways that's my vent. Thank goodness for you, he's lucky to have you. It's only been 2 days, and he probably is just transitioning, and getting used to his new home and surroundings. He's been left outside in the past, so that's what he's used to, and now he's inside and in a comfy bed, and it's all new to him. Give him time to adjust and to trust you , and he will settle in before you know it. With love and patience he will grow to love you back, and he will start to learn his new routine. Good luck and I'm glad Oliver found you.

Last edited:

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Some of it may be insecurity from the lifestyle change. Poor Oliver has never slept inside from what you've said, so maybe he just needs a little more time to adapt. Other than patience, reassurance, and establishing yourself as his pack leader, I'm not sure what other advice to give you. Eventually he will sleep, his body will make him do so.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Congratulations on adopting Oliver and Welcome to the site!

Your little guy is most likely feeling overwhelmed and maybe even scared with his new home and environment. Have you considered getting him his own crate to sleep inside? You can make it as welcoming as possible with safe chew toys, a blanket, and then slowly introduce him into the crate. WE have lots of very helpful threads here on "crate training" if you simply type that in the search field.

A lot of patience and a whole lot of love (which is what you are providing for your little boy), is what Oliver is needing right now. Bless you for bringing him home into your family.

I know there will be lots more folks coming around to give you some additional, sound advice.
:welcome3:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I applaud you for adopting Oliver. Poor boy..he is a lost soul right now. I think he is insecure and frightened. Is he housebroken? If he was left outside all the time, he might not be fully housebroken. If I were you..I would treat him like a pup. I would crate him and expand his world as he starts to feel more secure. I have an article about crate training an older dog. I will go find it and add it here. One other thing..we have rescued many dogs right off the streets. The initial few weeks were very stressfull on the poor dog. My vet explained it to me this way. When they are brought into a new Enviroment, not only is everything they know gone..but they don't know what..why or who! It takes time for them to feel safe. Then be prepared for a return to puppy behavior. They will relive their past until they are totally secure. His behavior is just an indication of his insecurity. Don't be hard on yourself..he will come around. On top of it all, he sounds like physically he has been ignored. Things will fall into place. Treat his physical condition..his mind and heart will heal very soon!

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/crate2.html#Older

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
he is waking me up by jumping off the bed then whines wanting back on the bed.

you might want to invest in some stairs :)

I agree with everyone else. The poor guy is scared & nervous. He doesn't quite know why he is there or who you are. Give him a little bit to settle in. Do you have a crate for him? I always have a crate close by for new guys. I leave the door open so they can come and go as they please but it makes them feel like there is a special place just for them.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I agree with everyone else. Read up on crate training and you'll see what everyone is talking about. A cozy den of his own might help a BUNCH. Get a wire one and throw a cozy blanket over the top and sides. He love it! You will love the extra sleep you're going to get..... hee hee

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor fella, he is probably just going through some stress not knowing what is going on. They are so sensitive!

I would like to give you an example. We used to travel, and stay in hotels a LOT. Everytime we stayed in one I could not for the life of me get Sarah, our bully, to sleep. She would not even come up in the bed with me! She did not understand why we were in this weird room that smelled of other animals (I'm Sure!). She would sit up the whole night.

Well, after this happened about 4 times I decided to bring her crate into the hotel. Low and behold she ran in there so fast and slept the whole night. Having her crate in the room made her feel like she was home. Or at least, she had 'her' home that is. :) Never had a problem after that, we just always brought her crate in each time. Until we did she was a nervous wreck!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Also, you don't know if he was treated as well as we treat ours. Being an outside baby, imagine what punishment would be for being inside on the bed. Always makes me wonder what all they have been thru in the past. Just be patient. He is so lucky to have a good, loving home. It takes time for well adjusted pups to adjust in a new home. Cutty was 9 months and a happy boy when we got him. He didn't eat for a good 3 days cuz he was in shock or something. Miila, our newest is just now able to settle down in our bed. We have had her over a year and she is now 2. Took this long. She wants in but somehow wants to guard from the living room. We have steps for our bed so the pups do what they want as they please. Maybe that will help you guys to transition? Maybe have a bed next to your bed or a crate or safe place so he can choose where he goes?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Great advice given by everybody. Patience and love will go along way with your lucky fella. <3

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I just adopted Oliver 2 days ago and he has yet to sleep through the night, he is waking me up by jumping off the bed then whines wanting back on the bed. I take him out and he goes every single time. He is 3 years old according to previous owner ( which i personally think he is a little younger). When I got him he was all bones and has a cold in his eyes. I gave him benadryl and that didn't even make him sleep, It's like he is on PATROL all night long. Oh and he was left outside by the previous owners also. What can I do to help him sleep he has to be as tired as I am...

:welcome3: to EBN

You said you only got him 2 days ago. I applaud you on the rescue. First things first, have you taken him to the vet yet? That should be on your list especially for the eye thing he's got going on. In the mean time you can flush the eyes with plain eye solution, not the kind that gets the red out, just the moisturizing kind. And then lay a think layer of eye creme in the lower lid. This will help him tremendously. Also make sure you transition him to a good quality food, if he's not on one already. The crate is a great idea. :2thumbs:
I supposed you have given him a nice warm bath and cuddled him. Stroke his fur gently and reassure him you can be trusted. Keep things quiet in the house for the time being, keep the volume on the TV down, things like that. No loud music. He'll soon catch on that every things gonna be ok :havemyheart:

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I agree, a crate is a good idea. Even though she sleeps with us, Miss Tallulah still likes to crawl into her crate when she is tired or a little stressed. The bed must seem overwhelming after being forced to live outdoors. That just infuriates me. :mad: Bulldogs by their very nature should NOT to be left outside by themselves all night long. How cruel. I cannot imagine the stresss he is going through. Bless you so much for taking this on. I know you will have the love and the patience to gently bring Oliver into who he is really meant to be. He is a lucky boy.

OP
brwneyes6269

brwneyes6269

Jan 5, 2013
Union, South Carolina, United States
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Caroline and Piper
He finally sleep through the night last night. He got on the bed for about 10 minutes jumped down and laid at the front door on the carpet. He didn't patrol like he was, just hope he keeps up the good work. He is a good boy. Only 1 accident in the house so someone at one time took care of him enough to house break him. from my gatherings he has been in about 4 different homes. (Why I have no idea). I couldn't imagine why someone would want to just keep sending him off. He is so sweet and hasn't given me a bit of trouble except wanting to "hump" everything that moves LOL. I'm thinking I'm going to get him fixed here real soon. He has a vet appointment this week He has put on a little weight so far I don't see him back bone or ribs like they were the day I got him. He is doing super well adjusting now.
I do not have a crate for him and not sure if i will get one he seems to be okay just walking around and laying by the front door, on the couch and his doggie bed. Will keep posted on his progress.
I have a female bully that is 7 years old (been fixed) that just doesn't know what to think of him but they are getting along just fine. Thanks for all advice and I'm going to think about getting him a crate as that is what he had with the other ppl he was with but it was outdoors...So I don't know if I wanna do that...

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I agree with everyone else. Read up on crate training and you'll see what everyone is talking about. A cozy den of his own might help a BUNCH. Get a wire one and throw a cozy blanket over the top and sides. He love it! You will love the extra sleep you're going to get..... hee hee

This is my vote as well. Easy for me to say, Remi practically came to us crate trained, so I endorse it all the way.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm glad he finally slept!! It still has only been a few days. It must still be very strange and scary to him. You are making progress already! You'll get there. Just keeping him love and reassurance.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.