General Question Fractured toe

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
My granddog, Dexter, has a fractured toe!! We don't know when or how it happened, but he is at the vet's this weekend. Normally, Dexter stays here with me on the weekend while my daughter is out of town, but yesterday, when he was here, he did not feel well and stayed in his bed all afternoon. She took him to his vet this morning to have him checked out because he cried off and on all night with her. He has a fractured toe and they are doing lazer treatment on it for the next 3 or 4 days. If this does not work, he will need a cast. This concerns me because he is 7 months old and has a hairline fracture of his shoulder and a fractured toe. This seems odd to me for him to have two fractures at such a young age. He has already had surgery for cherry eye in both eyes. It just seems odd to me, but he is such a sweet, loving baby. His breeder, from my research, is very well known with great breeders. On the other hand, my baby's breeder is not as well known. I paid much less for mine, but my daughter's breeder has been breeding for 30 years and I know many people that have purchased puppies from her. I have to believe it is just coincidental.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy: I bet that really hurts him! Broken toes are so painful for people..poor Dexter. It does seem like a lot of fractures for a young pup..I have heard of strange breaks and dislocations happening from seemingly innocent things..like jumping off a sofa, but this seems excessive. :( I hope he feels better...

I will tag [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]..he might have some insight for you.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh good gosh, poor Dexter. I wonder if he jumped off the bed, couch, falling off either, etc. That would be quite alarming to me if any of mine got a factured shoulder...toe not so much but shoulder? Hope he doesn't need a cast. :(

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor baby Dexter. Love his name by the way, is he named after the series? Did he maybe fall off a bed or couch and land the wrong way without you knowing?. I hope the laser treatments work, and he doesn't need a cast, and that he heals quick. Keep us posted and give Dexter extra love and kisses from us.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Holy crap. what are they doing to that poor boy? He must have fallen off a tall bed or down some stairs. He's going to be in some pain for awhile and I hope the laser treatment helps. he definitely needs some rest and keeping him quiet is going to be hard. If she has kids they need to leave him alone until he can heal properly. Please keep us posted on his progress.

OP
wheezer

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
As far as his shoulder, I do know that he jumped out of her car about the time that occurred. However, with the toe, we have no clue what happened. There are no stairs in her house and he has never been on any of her beds. No one admits to stepping on him; however, he and Zeus play very rough together. I have never heard him whelp like he was hurt, but I could tell when he came on Thursday for a play day he went straight to his bed and growled when Zeus tried to get him to play. I knew immediately that something was wrong with him and called for an appointment with his vet. She said last night he cried all night and she took him in today. They are keeping him this weekend while she is out of town to give him the lazer treatments as well as to confine him. I cannot handle him and keep him quiet with Zeus! We both hated to leave him with the vet all weekend but we decided it was best for him in the situation. Also, I have her three children and Zeus and he needed more quiet time than is available at my house for the weekend!! He is here so much, I worry about him as if he is mine!!

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
That just means you're a good Grandma. I hope Dexter gets better soon, and that the treatments work well. Then he can go back to romping the way a proper bulldog should.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well hope he fells better after some rest this weekend. He could have broken his toe playing, he could have gotten it stuck in a rug or something and turned. Poor boy, get well soon.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor boy! I hope the laser works on him :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
wheezer

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Thanks everyone! Instead of having the granddog this weekend, I have a 4 and 6 year old grandchildren!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I feel very sad for poor Dozer

That car wasn't moving when he fell out of it, was it?

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
poor Dexter, hope he is feeling better soon and he is not in too much pain.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Wow. Fractured toe! I'll bet that shoulder must smart too.

I wonder what the vet would suggest for supplements going forward? Like we humans take calcium when our bones get brittle...is there such a preventative treatment for our pups?

OP
wheezer

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
No, the car was in my drive. He normally waits to be taken out of the car,but that time he decided he needed to hurry into my house to see Zeus. He is still at the vet's office and will have another lazer treatment tomorrow. Hopefully, with the lazer treatments and crating him he will be okay. He won't be able to come play with Zeus for a while. It appears the treatments are helping.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.