Other Things I didn't know.... Thyroid

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I have had this foster (Elvis) in my home for about a month. He needs his tail amputated and patella surgery before we can even think about finding him a furever home. His tail pocket was so infected that he has been on antibiotics since the day after he walked in here. Since getting the infection under control he is in a lot less pain and is a cute, wonderful bully boy and Otis's new bff. But those are things that I did know. Here is what I didn't.

Last Thursday he turned into a rabid animal. He attacked Otis first. I broke that up. Then he attacked Roxy. I put him in his crate. About an hour later I went to let him out of the crate to go outside and he attacked ME! He did his best to kill me. Thank God I had a big terry cloth bathrobe on because if I didn't it would be my arm in shreds and not my robe. From that point on just breathing in the direction of his crate would send him in a frenzy. Off to the vet we go.

Elvis, at 3 and a half years old, is considered middle aged. He has skin issues that I thought were from bad food and neglect. He is over weight. Add all of that to his sudden behavior change and we have Hypothyroidism.

The behavior changes can be anything from sudden aggression to sudden lethargy or depression.
Skin issues range from hair loss (especially around the head, neck, chest and sides) to dry/scaly skin and/or dandruff.
Weakness in the hind legs. Elvis has had this weakness since he got here but he also has a luxating patella so this went unnoticed.
While so far not present in Elvis, seizures and vomiting are also common.

A full T4 panel (6 tests in total) confirmed the diagnosis and he is now on medication twice a day to control his thyroid function. I've also put him on a low protein, home cooked diet of whitefish or turkey, sweet potatoes (my all-time favorite dog food :yes:) rosemary, echinacea, vitamins E & C, Ester-C and garlic.

So yeah.. behavioral changes could = thyroid. Add that to the list of things I didn't know.

Last edited:

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
WOW, you never have a dull moment. So glad that Elvis found you and you are helping him get better :)

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
You're an angel for taking care of him the way you are! Thank you!
Love your signature photo...it's very moving.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW, you never have a dull moment. So glad that Elvis found you and you are helping him get better :)

I know. I might be getting another foster in here next week. We are SO short on foster homes :( Taking care of this little guy is taking up ALL my EBN time too :crying: I can't imagine what my life will be like when the new guy gets here.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I had no idea dogs can have thyroid problems! Learn something new every day!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
WOW, I saw you post last week about him going nuts, glad you were able to find out what caused it and hopefully that is the last you see of it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank GOD you are OK and he did not really hurt you or any of the pups.

I knew dogs could have thyroid issues, but never knew they were related to behavior issues. Thanks, Bev!!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
!

YIKES! I am so glad you found out what was going on with Elvis. Let that info be a big head's up to all who have dogs that suddenly get aggressive.

Bless you for your excellent fostering!

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank GOD you are OK and he did not really hurt you or any of the pups.

I knew dogs could have thyroid issues, but never knew they were related to behavior issues. Thanks, Bev!!

I didn't either. I linked an article about it from whole dog journal to my OP. In the range of behavioral issues it says...

The various types of abnormal behavior can be grouped into three categories: aggression, extreme shyness, or seizure-like activity.

A previously even-tempered animal lashes out at another animal or human without any warning. [snip]
Sadly, it’s not unusual for dogs with untreated hypothyroidism to become so aggressive that their owners are no longer able to manage them.

On the other end of the behavioral spectrum are the dogs that become very shy and fearful due to hypothyroidism. While not a threat to humans, extreme manifestations of this kind of behavior still render the dog difficult, if not impossible to keep as a family pet. In addition, these animals are unlikely to be able to continue any activities such as obedience, showing, or working.

The final type of behavioral aberrations seen with hypothyroidism is sudden onset of seizure activity. According to Dr. Dodds, these dogs “appear perfectly healthy outwardly, have normal hair coats and energy, but suddenly have a seizure for no apparent reason.” The seizures may be infrequent, and may include aggressive behavior immediately before or after the seizures.

There is another great article about it on pets.webmd

!

Let that info be a big head's up to all who have dogs that suddenly get aggressive.

That's why I posted it. I hope it helps someone down the road who is as confused as I was when I got attacked.

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
OMG. That must have been really scary. I'm sorry you had to go through this, but at the same time glad that you pursued the vet and had it investigated. I didn't know this either, very interesting and good information to know. Most people would just think the dog was aggressive, especially a foster dog, that you may not know the background of, and just put the dog down. Thank goodness for you, now he's on the right treatment and can get better and be adopted. Bless you for caring for Elvis. You truly are a Bully angel:angelheart:. I hope you are okay, and that Elvis is okay now.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
So glad you're not hurt Bev. Good thing you were wearing your snuggie. :)

Is Elvis doing better since he's on his meds? Hope that fixed his aggression issues. Poor guy.

And how's Otis and Roxie? Praying they're ok too.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
So glad you're not hurt Bev. Good thing you were wearing your snuggie. :)

Is Elvis doing better since he's on his meds? Hope that fixed his aggression issues. Poor guy.

And how's Otis and Roxie? Praying they're ok too.

They are fine thank you :) From the amount of blood on my poor Rox I was sure that she would need stitches. But thank God she didn't. Otis had a few puncture wounds on his neck too but he'll survive.

It will take a week or 2 of the meds for him to start to normalize again. I personally can't wait. I have him separated in the computer room so that he doesn't hurt anyone or get hurt. I still don't trust him so I don't come in here either. This is what's happened to my EBN time :( I have my tablet but typing on that thing is a pain in the butt.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
My mom's sheltie Tucker has hypothyroidism. He's been on his medicine twice a day for years and he's been fine ever since. He got real fat and lazy, and he had red, flaky, round skin patches that were worse whenever he had been wet (he liked to dip his lower half in the first steps of their pool). He dropped weight, go his energy back, and his skin problems left on the medicine. I hope that Elvis can be totally fine with his medicine too.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy you were not hurt, and glad you took him o the vet and found out what his problem was. Bless you Bev for sticking with him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.