General Question Allergy test results

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
We found out from the test that our dog is allergic to many things, including all grains, yeast,dust, mites, grass and trees! We will be switching maggies food and hopefully that will help a lot. The vet said she may need allergy shots down the road if it does not improve enough. For those of you in this situation did you inform the breeder? I don't know anything about breeding I'm just wondering if this type of thing can be bred out, I'd hate to see any other puppy's suffer like this.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Allergies are so common in Bullies. I think it would be impossible to breed them out of the line, but I might be wrong. We have some breeders on the site that may know more.
Our Bully growing up was allergic to grass. His time outside was very limited and he got steroid shots monthly (they don't usually do that often anymore) The vet kept saying it would shorten his life span, but my mom wanted him to be happy and comfortable. He actually lived to be 12 and it wasn't the shots that did it.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Allergies are so common in Bullies. I think it would be impossible to breed them out of the line, but I might be wrong. We have some breeders on the site that may know more.
Our Bully growing up was allergic to grass. His time outside was very limited and he got steroid shots monthly (they don't usually do that often anymore) The vet kept saying it would shorten his life span, but my mom wanted him to be happy and comfortable. He actually lived to be 12 and it wasn't the shots that did it.

Yes, it can be bred out by not using ANY dogs that have that problem in your program. It would be very hard to do and severely limit the breeding pool.
As to feeding, My Zelda was allergic to the grass and a lot of other stuff and it didn't take allergy shots to tell. The only way I could consistently keep them under control was to feed her a food that has NO grasses, grains, herbs etc in it. The only brand I've found that meets that qualification is Taste of the Wild. If there are others out there, maybe someone can let us know. Remember that flaxseed, often used in dog foods and Rosemary, used as a preservative are grasses. I guess the best course would be to make your own dog food but I'm not in a position to do that.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
my girl is allergic to all grasses, trees, molds.... we did the allergy shots for a few months, but I was not happy with the results so we opted to stop them and address by keeping her clean by wiping her paws and legs after she comes in from being outside - lots of work, but well worth it to us. We also went with a grain free food.... [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] can help with find a few options for you based on the list you have here

Good luck

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Food change did help a lot with Vegas's allergies grain/gluten free, but environmental is the killer for him. Our old vet gave him steroid shots about every 5 weeks and he did great fro over a year, the vet retired, Now I am in a constant battle and have tried two different vets to get the shots and they will only give him one every 3 months. He is currently on antibiotics and anti-yeast pills for one month due to bad seasonal allergies. I am currently looking for a new vet.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I was going to stud one of my males but decided against it when the allergies were just too much, lumps , bumps and runny eyes, yes food will make a difference in the severity but if a dog is born sensitive to many things, I believe it comes from the gene pool

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Allergies in Bulldogs is one of the reasons I've chosen to go with an Olde English Bulldogge puppy this time. Breeders have added Bull-Mastiff, American Bulldog, and Pitt to the mix in an effort to eliminate breathing and other problems. Both Ruggles and Mack have/had extensive food allergies.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Definitely let the breeder know as they need to know they are breeding sick bullies, and I think they should help you with the vet bills. Hope you can find the right food for your baby and she gets better soon.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Allergies in Bulldogs is one of the reasons I've chosen to go with an Olde English Bulldogge puppy this time. Breeders have added Bull-Mastiff, American Bulldog, and Pitt to the mix in an effort to eliminate breathing and other problems. Both Ruggles and Mack have/had extensive food allergies.

Otis is an old english. He is taller than an EB but much healthier.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] from what I've read they don't have nearly as many of the health problems as EBs. OEBs can make it to 14 yrs. old or more!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Well I will be back on my computer tomorrow evening to help with a food if u want. I don't know bout breeding but I would think they would want to know if they are a good breeder

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.