Help Needed! Bogey is sick!:((

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Well, not sure what is going on, but I have called the Vet and we are watching Bogey closely. He has vomited a total of 4 times since lunch, and judging by the amount of undigested food, it must have been breakfast too. He had a very loose stool before the vomiting, but this afternoon, actually had a small but very formed one (yeah, I hope!)
The vet thought I could try some of the boiled hamburg and rice if he went 2 hours without vomiting, which he did. I gave him a very small amount at 5:45 and he has kept that down, but has done nothing but sleep. He does wake up easily, but seems listless.
I will keep a close eye on him and he has an appt at 11am tomorrow morning if he does not look better.
What we saw, was when you stood over him looking down, instead of his normal pudgy belly, it looked sunken back towards his thighs. He is not in any distress, no drooling, no coughing. I am beside myself with worry.
Does anyone know anything about Parvo? I am so worried he may have picked something up from outside. I can't keep people from walking dogs in our neighborhood and I try to keep him contained but we all know how puppies put everything iin their mouths!

Any input??

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh, i'm sorry. I can just feel your worry and concern!! I would be too. You have done everything that any caring parent would have for their bully. It's good you got the vet involved and have an appt. tomorrow should that be necessary. The view of his torso area may be just the angle you're looking at and d/t the fact that he vomited so much of his stomach contents that his tummy is just empty right now. You have to remind me but did Bogey get his full set of shots already?

Hoping he feels better soon. I'll keep him in my prayers.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]: He is only 11 weeks old, so he has not completed his shots. But you made me feel better about his abd. I am sooooo worried.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would be worried too! If things get worse don't be afraid to take him tonight its better to be safe than sorry! Please keep us updated!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhhh Dear! I am pretty sure he hasn't completed his vaccines..right? If not..it's pretty important you try to keep him as isolated as possible. There are many bugs they can pick up. When Jake was tiny..it was out..go potty and right back in. No playing or anything. I am not sure how Parvo presents itself..but I'm sure your vet knows what to watch for. The bland diet is what I would and slowly after a few good days, reintroduce his regular food. Make sure he gets enough liquids..they can get dehrydrated pretty quickly. Please keep us informed...

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Oh no... not our Bogey..... could he have injested anything that would be blocking his dijestive system? Lets pray it is something minor and easily curable. Hang in there!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh I'm so sorry you and bogey are going through this. I would be in a panicked state too. To entice him to drink, you can add a small amount of chicken or beef broth in his water. Pedialyte will have the same effect too.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Be sure to take a stool sample with you in the morning to the vet... hopefully Bogey has one in the morning. Since he has not yet had all his shots... being concerned about parvo is not too far fetched, but it does not mean that is what it is. Keep an eye on him and be sure he gets some water in him... ice chips will work if he is not drinking

:hugs:

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
That sucks. Hope he gets better soon. It seems Spiel puts everything in his mouth so maybe he ate something he shouldn't have and will get better soon.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, he has kept the beef and rice down, and is now looking a little more spunky, as evidenced by his trying to bite any of our moving body parts! He has peed and pooped once- it was pretty formed but soft. So, we tried a little more beef and rice at 7:30 and will keep our fingers crossed he will keep that down.
As for possibly ingesting something- absolutely! He eats EVERYTHING in his path. I keep him confined to our yard, but we have been walking down the street on the road, avoiding grassy areas where other dogs go. Maybe that's not enough.
I am hopeful that he is feeling a little better, and I am going to bring a stool specimen in tomorrow anyway, even if he doesnt' need to go.
Thanks for all the words of wisdom and shoulders of support! It is very comforting to know what a great support system we have here!
Thanks again!
Will keep you posted!!
Mary

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well, he has kept the beef and rice down, and is now looking a little more spunky, as evidenced by his trying to bite any of our moving body parts! He has peed and pooped once- it was pretty formed but soft. So, we tried a little more beef and rice at 7:30 and will keep our fingers crossed he will keep that down.
As for possibly ingesting something- absolutely! He eats EVERYTHING in his path. I keep him confined to our yard, but we have been walking down the street on the road, avoiding grassy areas where other dogs go. Maybe that's not enough.
I am hopeful that he is feeling a little better, and I am going to bring a stool specimen in tomorrow anyway, even if he doesnt' need to go.
Thanks for all the words of wisdom and shoulders of support! It is very comforting to know what a great support system we have here!
Thanks again!
Will keep you posted!!
Mary

Yes..Don't take him out of your yard until his shots are complete. The virus's are not just in grass. Parvo can actually be brought in on the soles of your shoes. My vet said..NOT EVEN A RIDE IN THE CART AT PETCO!!! NO where another dog could be. It will go by fast and you will not have to worry so very much.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks again!
Will keep you posted!!
Mary

Big :hug: to you and Bogey.... let us know how the appointment goes tomorrow. It's good to hear he is keeping the bland diet down

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad to hear his food is sticking.... his behavior sounds like he swallowed something he did not agree with. Parvo is a concern too, but if he has had 3 sets of shots already (which he probably should have by now) he is going to be pretty safe, but what Becky said is right, no places he could get it, even at the vet bring him in a crate, carrier, box, whatever, and do not let him touch any surfaces at all. Give him a kiss from me xx

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yes..Don't take him out of your yard until his shots are complete. The virus's are not just in grass. Parvo can actually be brought in on the soles of your shoes. My vet said..NOT EVEN A RIDE IN THE CART AT PETCO!!! NO where another dog could be. It will go by fast and you will not have to worry so very much.

That's a good point. I remember the breeder, Sonia, advised me to get special shoes to wear to the vet's...a pair i would solely designate as "going to the vet" shoes, which I shouldn't wear indoors, while the boys were still young and not yet fully immunized.

I'm glad Bogart is doing a bit better. I'll keep sending him positive healthy vibes for a full recovery.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Parvo will take a puppy down fast, if he's up and eating already, I'd say he's fine as far as the Parvo goes. One thing you can do is ask your vet if he's seen or heard of any Parvo in the area? or has seen any patients with it. That would be a huge relief or concern.

Since he's been pooping and throwing up so much today, do you think you may have fed him too much?

Most Reactions