Sores in between Lola's toes

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
We noticed Lola paying a lot of attention to her paw and upon further inspection saw that she has a red sore in between her toes....Anybody have any idea as to what this may be? Is this a certain vet visit, or does anybody have a suggestion to treat it?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Do you have a picture? Stig has a little red spot in between his toes on his left paw, but it's due to his allergies. Does Lola have any signs of allergies, such as hives, on her body?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
no you dont need a vet. They are called interdigital cysts and I think they can be caused by allergies but not sure. You can soak in epsom salts in a bath tub but I have also read that 1 cup bleach to 2 gallons warm water in the bathtub for 5 minutes 2 times a day will work well. This is what I have seen on other bulldog forums in the past. I think prep h should also help with swelling. Mainly you have to check the paws regularly on bullies and keep them clean. I have been lucky to only have them a couple times with my boy, I know a lot of others deal with it more regularly.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yep, exactly what [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] said...it's usually a symptom of allergies but can be caused by other things, like ingrown hair. If they are reoccurring, it's probably allergies.

OP
sowdie

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I tried to get a picture, but Lola would no cooperate. But yes, she has all kinds of allergies. Is there a specific ratio of epsom salt to water? I've never used that before....Thanks for the advice!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I tried to get a picture, but Lola would no cooperate. But yes, she has all kinds of allergies. Is there a specific ratio of epsom salt to water? I've never used that before....Thanks for the advice!

It says on the box. It's super cheap, you can get it anywhere. I've used it myself on a sprained ankle -- it works great to reduce inflammation!

OP
sowdie

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Thanks everybody! This site never fails me!

Mary Kay

Sep 29, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Chloie
My Chloie has yeast in between her toes (vet said). She has alergies also but will epsom salt take care of the yeast?

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Definately a believer of epsom salt. I use it on fosters that get interdigital cysts. Works like a charm!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
My Chloie has yeast in between her toes (vet said). She has alergies also but will epsom salt take care of the yeast?

Not sure it will work on yeast but everyone is using the vinegar and water mixture for yeast and I guess it must work, try that maybe? I think it was 50/50 of each.

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
yes the epson salts work wonders on interdigital cysts. Horse gets them occasionally, and I'm pretty sure they're caused be ingrown hairs. I clean in between his toes, on the top and bottoms of his feet almost daily and that seems to help prevent them. I just use a warm soft cloth, then dry them well.

harleyshay1

Sep 5, 2011
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
SADIE
My english bulldog, Sadie, gets these things often. They look gross and painful. Is there a reason why she would get them so often? Every time she gets on I soak it in salt water and it usually goes away pretty quick, but that is not the point. Is there a way to prevent these?... foot.jpg The picture is kind of dark, but you get the idea..

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have found from listening to others' stories and from personal experience that they can be caused by an allergy. Often, it is a food allergy. You may want to consider a change in food if they are re-occuring. A change in protein can be a good start. I used peroxide but I think, if I had known, I would have done epsom salt as well.

For yeast, you can do a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and clean the area. That can often help as the acv kills the yeast. However, the yeast is a symptom, again, usually of an allergy.

harleyshay1

Sep 5, 2011
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
SADIE
I dont think it is a food allergy because we have changed her food twice since she started getting them. Epsom salt, would that be the same concept as salt water? Thats what i have been using. I hate for her to suffer, and those things really seem to bug her.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I dont think it is a food allergy because we have changed her food twice since she started getting them. Epsom salt, would that be the same concept as salt water? Thats what i have been using. I hate for her to suffer, and those things really seem to bug her.

When you have changed the food, do they both have the same meat ingredient (example, chicken)? Also, what foods have you tried? How about treats? What kind are you giving her? Does she spend a lot of time out in the grass?

Just throwing some things out there. You really have to be a detective lol. Poor girl :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online