Real Name
    Sharren
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooch
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sores in between Lola's toes

Just joined the site today. I have an Old English Bulldog named Hooch, who is seven years old. He has a problem with these cysts from time to time as well as being prone to yeast infections in his ears. I recently changed his food to a grain free diet, and must admit yeast in his ears does not seem to be a problem as of late. He has only been on this diet for approximately 2 months now, and from what I have read on other sites, it can take months before changing their diets can reduce the symptoms related to allergies. He is an obsessive paw licker and I have noticed that the fur on his front paws has become a dark reddish-brown color. I am going to try the epsom salt soaks I have read about on this site, and see if it helps with these cysts between his toes. He is now laying on my bed taking it easy for the day. He had a large cyst that burst when he jumped up on my bed. I was shocked at the amount of blood that came out of it when it burst and I am sure he must have gotten a lot of relief by relieving all of that pressure related to the blood build up. I will continue to monitor his paw and take him to the vets if I feel it is infected. The older he gets, the more chronic his problems become. I also have a problem with a discharge with his eyes. I have a daily regimen of cleaning his ears, eyes, and folds in his face to try and keep him as comfortable as possible. I will now add epsom salt soaks for his paws at least twice a week and see if this helps to cut down or hopefully eliminate the paw licking and cyst problems. I am looking forward to meeting all of you bully lovers as well as sharing any information that I can with this wonderful community. Thanks again for all of the wonderful information regarding these cysts. I will keep you all posted regarding his progress with these soaks. Shamrock13

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock13 View Post
    Just joined the site today. I have an Old English Bulldog named Hooch, who is seven years old. He has a problem with these cysts from time to time as well as being prone to yeast infections in his ears. I recently changed his food to a grain free diet, and must admit yeast in his ears does not seem to be a problem as of late. He has only been on this diet for approximately 2 months now, and from what I have read on other sites, it can take months before changing their diets can reduce the symptoms related to allergies. He is an obsessive paw licker and I have noticed that the fur on his front paws has become a dark reddish-brown color. I am going to try the epsom salt soaks I have read about on this site, and see if it helps with these cysts between his toes. He is now laying on my bed taking it easy for the day. He had a large cyst that burst when he jumped up on my bed. I was shocked at the amount of blood that came out of it when it burst and I am sure he must have gotten a lot of relief by relieving all of that pressure related to the blood build up. I will continue to monitor his paw and take him to the vets if I feel it is infected. The older he gets, the more chronic his problems become. I also have a problem with a discharge with his eyes. I have a daily regimen of cleaning his ears, eyes, and folds in his face to try and keep him as comfortable as possible. I will now add epsom salt soaks for his paws at least twice a week and see if this helps to cut down or hopefully eliminate the paw licking and cyst problems. I am looking forward to meeting all of you bully lovers as well as sharing any information that I can with this wonderful community. Thanks again for all of the wonderful information regarding these cysts. I will keep you all posted regarding his progress with these soaks. Shamrock13
    Sounds like you are heading in the right direction, keep us posted! Would love to see some pics of your baby, if you haven't yet stop by the welcome and introduction forum and start a new topic

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Ollie gets them from the wet grass, they constantly pop up after rain. I try to get his feet cleaned and dried off after its rained but they still pop up..Its always after rain, so i'm pretty sure thats the cause!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gilly
    Likes (Received)

I have tried soaking in Epson salt, so it does work but I find it difficult to make my Gilly girl sit still long enough ... Would anyone know if this be 1x a week or multiple? I have also gone from a very good brand of Dog food Eagle Pack , but then went to grain free Blue buffalo, same issues occurred. I may want to try a diet of human food - any recommendations - I have heard boiled hamburger and rice .. or Chicken. I love my little girl to pieces and have found taking care of her is not a matter of high maintenance but more like taking care of a child (that happens to have 4 legs )

Real Name
    Patty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey and Tommy
    Likes (Received)

Hi there. My Harvey has redness in all of his toes, which is the result of his over-working immune system--so he's yeasty all over, is what this means. Yesterday, I found an awesome article (and videos) posted by JeannieCo (you can find her link on the left handside of the Home page (scroll down) under "Currently Active Users." You've got to read it!!! The title is "The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Paws, etc." The article might be under "Bulldog Health."

If Lola has only only red sore, it may be no big deal, but if she has several, it's probably allergies, and you may want to start with changing her diet. Watch the video on cleaning the paws--the doctor is right on! I learned so much and am now making changes to my dogs' diet.

Good luck with Lola-

Pooper scooper Become a 4 Paw Member chopkins's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ernie
    Likes (Received)

My 4 year old Ernie has this right now and I tend to think that it may have been caused by playing a lot in the grass this week? This is the second time that he has had this. I soak his paws in the tub twice a day for about 4-6 days w/ Epsom Salt, it worked the first time and hopefully it works this week! By the way, I noticed that his paw bled a bit after his paw soak, is it okay to rub Neosporin on it?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chopkins View Post
    My 4 year old Ernie has this right now and I tend to think that it may have been caused by playing a lot in the grass this week? This is the second time that he has had this. I soak his paws in the tub twice a day for about 4-6 days w/ Epsom Salt, it worked the first time and hopefully it works this week! By the way, I noticed that his paw bled a bit after his paw soak, is it okay to rub Neosporin on it?
    Neosporian is fine.... Yes grass can be a cause, as I believe these are for. Allergies, my girl has grass allergies and I have kept these at bay by wing her paws after being outside.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mac
    Likes (Received)

Hello all,

This has been an informative and excellent thread, thank you all for the insight.

We have a ~4yr old Bulldog that has sores in between his toes and redness on the bottom of his paws.

Our vet has tried steroids (which messed with is liver) but helped a bit, though we don't use them anymore given the risk. We've also tried antibiotics (cephalexin) and allergy meds (atopica) and currently soak his feet a few times a week in Douxo Chlorhexidine shampoo + water, as well as apply benadryl cream and silver sulfadiazine daily.

With the current soaking and topical meds, the sores are somewhat contained, though still persistent and flare up. He insists on licking them throughout the day and night.

He's on a strict grain-free and poultry free diet (Core Wellness Ocean Grain free formula), which makes me think that it may not be food allergies.

I will try the epsom soak as well.

---

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what is causing the frequent sores? Lately his wrinkles around his eyes have become irritated from his eye discharge as well.

Any insight as to what is causing it, or what we can do to help stop the sores from breaking out would be very appreciated.

Thanks for your time and consideration!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by macdog View Post
    Hello all,

This has been an informative and excellent thread, thank you all for the insight.

We have a ~4yr old Bulldog that has sores in between his toes and redness on the bottom of his paws.

Our vet has tried steroids (which messed with is liver) but helped a bit, though we don't use them anymore given the risk. We've also tried antibiotics (cephalexin) and allergy meds (atopica) and currently soak his feet a few times a week in Douxo Chlorhexidine shampoo + water, as well as apply benadryl cream and silver sulfadiazine daily.

With the current soaking and topical meds, the sores are somewhat contained, though still persistent and flare up. He insists on licking them throughout the day and night.

He's on a strict grain-free and poultry free diet (Core Wellness Ocean Grain free formula), which makes me think that it may not be food allergies.

I will try the epsom soak as well.

---

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what is causing the frequent sores? Lately his wrinkles around his eyes have become irritated from his eye discharge as well.

Any insight as to what is causing it, or what we can do to help stop the sores from breaking out would be very appreciated.

Thanks for your time and consideration!

For my girl, it is her grass/weed/mold allergy. I have to wipe her paws after each outting to keep them away... epsoum salt soaks are once a week sometimes once a month
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sowdie View Post
    I tried to get a picture, but Lola would no cooperate. But yes, she has all kinds of allergies. Is there a specific ratio of epsom salt to water? I've never used that before....Thanks for the advice!
    Ruckus has these currently. We use epsom salt on him and it does seem to help some. Just make sure to wash Lola's paws with soap and water after soaking in epsom salt so she doesn't lick her paws and ingest any of it. I also wipe in between Ruckus's toes 1-2xs per day with Malaket wipes. It takes a long time to go away (for Ruckus at least), but these treatments help.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Remove Ads