General Question Different surgeries and when to have them

LilaandJose

Apr 13, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hi everyone,

I have been reading different posts on here about entropion and I am glad I was able to find people who have taken their babies to have this surgery so I have an idea on what to expect. I wasn't able to get the ages of their bullies when it was done though. Tank is 11 months and he has had eye ulcers and the ophthalmologist said he needs to have entropion surgery. She said I shouldn't wait past spring because the older he gets, the greater the chance of forming a lot of scar tissue. Does this sound right? I'm really nervous about any type of surgery but Tank's eyes is still bothering him and I have changed his food, gave him medicated eye drops, and now use genteal eye gel. Is 11 months too young?

Also, I want to have him neutered. If I get the entropion surgery done should I have him neutered at the same time? The thing is my vet said to wait for neutering because testosterone helps bone growth and Tank is also showing signs of a luxated patella. He doesn't seem to have any problems walking though but not sure how he will be when he gets older. I don't want him to keep going under and I don't know if he needs surgery for the luxated patella too. When is the latest I can get him neutered? If keeping him in tact will help his knees maybe I'll hold off. I don't know...

Sorry for the long post, just talking about the surgeries and procedures that he needs to get done is getting me worried.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I would get his eye done asap, and you can neuter him now if you want. Our vet always says it's better to wait until they are at least 18 months old to neuter. So it's totally up to you and if he might need knee surgery later, you may put off neutering him until that time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
David gave you some good advice... I will tag a few members with entropion experience for you

good luck with everything

L

Lucy-licious

Billy had eye surgery for an ulcer and had some eyelashes plucked from inside his lid at the same time when he was only around 4/5 months old. He then had cherry eye surgery another 4ish weeks later. If his eyes are causing him problems you should get it done as soon as possible. He could easily loose his site otherwise :hug:
Surgery is scary, yes, but sometimes it's necessary. And as David says you can always hold off the neutered a while until you know if he need surgery on his knee :hug:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online