Help Needed! Thinning Hair

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
Everyone,

Nihya's hair is thinning out on top of her head and behind both ears. I just recently switched her over to TOTW and she's going bathroom fine. Her stools are firm. I've been checking her ears and noticed they had more (I'm guessing yeast) than normal. But the yeasty ears came about before switch of the new food. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
how long since you switched 100%? it sometimes takes a few weeks to get everything out of their system. Is she scratching or just loosing hair? Allergies can be from a lot of things, not just food. Plastics in food bowls, toys and bedding etc...is also very common allergy.

OP
Zapien

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
It' been less than a week since she's gone 100% with the new food.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
It likely wouldn't be a food allergy happening that quickly. Is she itching behind the ears? Notice any redness or irritation or other symptoms?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
It is too early to see how the new food will be. How about a bath with Oatmeal shampoo. My vet has me leave it on for 10 minutes..then rinse well. It makes his coat very soft. You can use witch hazel to clean her ears. Take a cotton pad..soak it in witch hazel. Squeeze excess out and wrap around your index finger. Now reach as far as you can down into her ear. Repeat until pad is clean. Since witch hazel is a drying agent..you don't have to worry about excess moisture. It will dry on its own! My dogs love this...errrr AFTER I chase Jake all over the house! :laugh:

Stoagie713

Sep 12, 2012
Vacaville, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stoagie
Most likely allergies. My Stoagies hair was thinning and I wasnt sure what was going on. I looked into it and found that his immune system MIGHT be weak, since hes still a puppy. So I bought him Grizzly Salmon Oil and it dramatically changed his coat. Thicker. Shinier than ever. [: Just a suggestion.

OP
Zapien

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
It is too early to see how the new food will be. How about a bath with Oatmeal shampoo. My vet has me leave it on for 10 minutes..then rinse well. It makes his coat very soft. You can use witch hazel to clean her ears. Take a cotton pad..soak it in witch hazel. Squeeze excess out and wrap around your index finger. Now reach as far as you can down into her ear. Repeat until pad is clean. Since witch hazel is a drying agent..you don't have to worry about excess moisture. It will dry on its own! My dogs love this...errrr AFTER I chase Jake all over the house! :laugh:

Where can I find witch hazel? How much does it run generally?

OP
Zapien

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
Whats also weird is that Nihyas hair wasnt thinning prior to her pregnancy. I changed her food from Iams Natural Ocean Fish (pre-pregnancy) to Purina Pro Plan (pregnancy). She's on TOTW now so I'm unsure if it's a hormone thing that's thinning her hair or the allergies as a result of the Purina Pro Plan.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
well, I know things like that happen before, during and after pregnancies to humans. So maybe that is the cause. I don't know much about bully pregnancies, so maybe someone else could let you know if this is common.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have never had this problem but have heard of mamma's blowing their coat. I would add salmon oil if you have not done so already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Where can I find witch hazel? How much does it run generally?

You can get witch hazel anywhere. Drug stores, grocery stores. It's normally with the peroxide and alcohol and band aids.

OP
Zapien

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
So here are a few pictures of Nihya. As you can see, she's losing her hair. I'm worried for her cuz this has never happened before. She doesn't itch and seems to have great energy. She's been on TOTW Roasted Lamb for about two weeks now, but the hair loss started before switching her over.

The spots on her are where the hair loss is the worse. She has it worse around her ears and on top of her head. I also see her skin under her hair, which is easy to see, to be dry and flakey. I also see on her sides where her skin is beginning to darken.

For those of you whose bully has experienced this before, what worked to clear it up?

Where can i find Grizzly Salmon Oil? And how much do you give per feeding? I want to attempt to get Nihya back to normal before having to take her to the vet. I don't like putting her on meds if she doesn't have to be.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357945946990.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357945946990.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 108
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357945962365.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357945962365.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 117
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357945989894.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357945989894.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 117
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357946003496.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357946003496.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 120
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357946012805.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357946012805.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 111

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Gosh...I'd want a skin scraping done. I'm glad you have her on a much better food.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.