Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinning Hair

Bulldog(s) Names
    Nihya
    Likes (Received)

Default Thinning Hair

Everyone,

Nihya's hair is thinning out on top of her head and behind both ears. I just recently switched her over to TOTW and she's going bathroom fine. Her stools are firm. I've been checking her ears and noticed they had more (I'm guessing yeast) than normal. But the yeasty ears came about before switch of the new food. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Thinning Hair

how long since you switched 100%? it sometimes takes a few weeks to get everything out of their system. Is she scratching or just loosing hair? Allergies can be from a lot of things, not just food. Plastics in food bowls, toys and bedding etc...is also very common allergy.

Always with me

Bulldog(s) Names
    Nihya
    Likes (Received)

It' been less than a week since she's gone 100% with the new food.

Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

It likely wouldn't be a food allergy happening that quickly. Is she itching behind the ears? Notice any redness or irritation or other symptoms?

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

It is too early to see how the new food will be. How about a bath with Oatmeal shampoo. My vet has me leave it on for 10 minutes..then rinse well. It makes his coat very soft. You can use witch hazel to clean her ears. Take a cotton pad..soak it in witch hazel. Squeeze excess out and wrap around your index finger. Now reach as far as you can down into her ear. Repeat until pad is clean. Since witch hazel is a drying agent..you don't have to worry about excess moisture. It will dry on its own! My dogs love this...errrr AFTER I chase Jake all over the house!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Stoagie
    Likes (Received)

Most likely allergies. My Stoagies hair was thinning and I wasnt sure what was going on. I looked into it and found that his immune system MIGHT be weak, since hes still a puppy. So I bought him Grizzly Salmon Oil and it dramatically changed his coat. Thicker. Shinier than ever. [: Just a suggestion.
    The two loves of my life fart and snore like crazy....what does that say about me??? ;D
    *Daniel.Sabina.Stoagie*

Bulldog(s) Names
    Nihya
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    It is too early to see how the new food will be. How about a bath with Oatmeal shampoo. My vet has me leave it on for 10 minutes..then rinse well. It makes his coat very soft. You can use witch hazel to clean her ears. Take a cotton pad..soak it in witch hazel. Squeeze excess out and wrap around your index finger. Now reach as far as you can down into her ear. Repeat until pad is clean. Since witch hazel is a drying agent..you don't have to worry about excess moisture. It will dry on its own! My dogs love this...errrr AFTER I chase Jake all over the house!
    Where can I find witch hazel? How much does it run generally?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Nihya
    Likes (Received)

Whats also weird is that Nihyas hair wasnt thinning prior to her pregnancy. I changed her food from Iams Natural Ocean Fish (pre-pregnancy) to Purina Pro Plan (pregnancy). She's on TOTW now so I'm unsure if it's a hormone thing that's thinning her hair or the allergies as a result of the Purina Pro Plan.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

well, I know things like that happen before, during and after pregnancies to humans. So maybe that is the cause. I don't know much about bully pregnancies, so maybe someone else could let you know if this is common.

Always with me

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have never had this problem but have heard of mamma's blowing their coat. I would add salmon oil if you have not done so already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zapien View Post
    Where can I find witch hazel? How much does it run generally?

You can get witch hazel anywhere. Drug stores, grocery stores. It's normally with the peroxide and alcohol and band aids.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Nihya
    Likes (Received)

So here are a few pictures of Nihya. As you can see, she's losing her hair. I'm worried for her cuz this has never happened before. She doesn't itch and seems to have great energy. She's been on TOTW Roasted Lamb for about two weeks now, but the hair loss started before switching her over.

The spots on her are where the hair loss is the worse. She has it worse around her ears and on top of her head. I also see her skin under her hair, which is easy to see, to be dry and flakey. I also see on her sides where her skin is beginning to darken.

For those of you whose bully has experienced this before, what worked to clear it up?

Where can i find Grizzly Salmon Oil? And how much do you give per feeding? I want to attempt to get Nihya back to normal before having to take her to the vet. I don't like putting her on meds if she doesn't have to be.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -uploadfromtaptalk1357945989894-jpg   -uploadfromtaptalk1357945946990-jpg   -uploadfromtaptalk1357945962365-jpg   -uploadfromtaptalk1357946003496-jpg   -uploadfromtaptalk1357946012805-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads