Other Clara's surgery is today...

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
And I'm a nervous momma.

She's being spayed and tattood. I thought we'd have her chipped, but the vet recommended tattooing for visibility purposes, pointing out that a stolen dog is unlikely to be scanned. Anyone else do this? It made since to me when he was recommending it, but now I'm wondering what the likelihood would be that anyone would call the number. Wouldn't it be assumed that the number belonged to whomever had the dog, including a dognapper? Maybe I'm just over thinking things.

He starts his surgeries at 10 a.m. and finishes by 12 p.m. They say she needs to stay until 3:30 or 4:00. Would it be weird If I went and saw her in the early afternoon? Our vet is a reputable bulldog vet, but my experiences with him are limited and the anesthesia makes me nervous. The tech said it would be fine, but the doc seemed to discourage it (visiting).

Sent via Tapatalk on my S3

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
You have done the right thing by getting a good Bully vet. That is the best way to ensure things go right because they really understand the unique nature of the breed and all the breathing issues that need to be taken into consideration for anesthesia. I had Miss Tallulah microchipped as well as tattooed just to cover all the bases. Actually she was chipped when I got her at 8 weeks. So she was tattooed and also had her palette lasered when she got spayed. I was an anxious mess especailly about the anesthesia and stayed the whole day in the waiting room. I took her home about 4 p.m. so the timing sounds about right. She will be groggy but believe it or not in a day or so she will act as if nothing happened and you will be trying to keep her from running and jumping and being too playful. These fur babies are so resilient. I wish you and Clara all the best :hug::hug:- and here's to a speedy recovery.

OP
matzwd

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
I'm supposing my princess will have to be dissuaded from ascending her throne (recliner) for a bit? I'm not sure what we'll do about that. I mean, we'll put a laundry basket up there so she won't be able to jump up there, but I'm sure she'll have a crying fit about it as that's HER spot.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Wishing Clara a speedy recovery, she'll be find Mom....

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I'm supposing my princess will have to be dissuaded from ascending her throne (recliner) for a bit? I'm not sure what we'll do about that. I mean, we'll put a laundry basket up there so she won't be able to jump up there, but I'm sure she'll have a crying fit about it as that's HER spot.

Maybe small steps for the little princess ? A crying Bully princess is a terrible thing to behold. :ROFL:

OP
matzwd

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
Maybe small steps for the little princess ? A crying Bully princess is a terrible thing to behold. :ROFL:

Doesn't sound very lady-like, that's for sure! LOL!

Well, we're headed home now. She's still very groggy and vomited what looked like very concentrated mustard twice before we were even out of the parking lot, so we went back in for a towel.
uploadfromtaptalk1357164951005.jpg

Thank you all for the well wishes.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Glad to hear she is on her way home with you. Anesthetic does that sometimes. When she feels better she will be ravenous but you might want to give her some pro biotic yogurt first to see how well she holds it.

OP
matzwd

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
Tooleysmom;287555 When she feels better she will be ravenous but you might want to give her some pro biotic yogurt first to see how well she holds it.[/QUOTE said:
Thanks for that bit of advice. I'll pick some up.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwww...I'm late..but glad she's home. I would go light on the food and water until tomorrow. Her tummy is upset because of the anesthetic. Sweet baby...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy to hear she is doing well, I'd give her water but go easy on the food tonight. Tomorrow she should be back to her self and wanting to play and jump, so that's the hard part trying to keep her from jumping. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

OP
matzwd

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
She apparently doesn't do great with anesthesia because she vomited several times throughout the night last night and was not at all interested in eating anything, not even get favorite stuff, so I couldn't disguise her pain pill and had to kind of like it down her throat. She was sooo uncomfortable, lying down and then standing up a few seconds later to try to settle into a new position. She's at least taking treats today, but not interested in her food still. She's been sleeping the entire day, not even greeting me at the door when I've come back from taxiing my kids around. I've been checking up on her plenty, making sure she's alright. Her incision looks good.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
The first night can be rough. I felt so helpless and Miss T was so uncomfortable and couldn't settle. As long as she is getting fluids don't worry too much. I know I am one of those people who gets violently sick from anesthetic and will be sick for days. They always have to give me the "good stuff" ( don't know what it is) which apparently is way more expensive. Maybe for future reference this is something to remind the vet. (God forbid anything should require her to have surgery in the future!) It is oK to spoil her with soft yummy stuff like little licks of yogurt, and soft treats that are not hard on the tummy. I gave Miss T pure freeze dried ocean white fish bites ( stinks ) which is very mild and has no additives. Of course i almost gagged when I opened the package. Getting Miss T to take her pain pill was a nightmare. Cheese, food, peanut butter nothing.... She was way too smart but I came on EBN and one of the bully moms of EBN recommended disguising it in liverwurst paste and it worked! There is always such good information by so many caring people on this site. If she has not perked up by tomorrow I would check with the vet. They should be giving you a follow up phone call anyway. But I have a feeling she will be up and running by tomorrow. The best part is the worst is OVER.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She apparently doesn't do great with anesthesia because she vomited several times throughout the night last night and was not at all interested in eating anything, not even get favorite stuff, so I couldn't disguise her pain pill and had to kind of like it down her throat. She was sooo uncomfortable, lying down and then standing up a few seconds later to try to settle into a new position. She's at least taking treats today, but not interested in her food still. She's been sleeping the entire day, not even greeting me at the door when I've come back from taxiing my kids around. I've been checking up on her plenty, making sure she's alright. Her incision looks good.

So hope she is feeling better soon... a sure fire way for us with Banks to get meds in her === vanilla ice cream

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.