Laryngeal Paralysis

Bullyhoo

Aug 10, 2010
My darling gal Freida was diagnosed with this today. Over the last 6 months she's developed a hoarse bark and cannot tolerate any exercise, even mellow walks. The vet wants to have her take anti anxiety meds to control her breathing and she should probably be ok.

She's only 4 and this is normally an older dogs condition. Just wondering if anyone here has experience with it?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No I have not, but I would certainly be interested in learning or hearing more about it. I will share it on facebook in the morning and hopefully we can get you some support you need. (hug)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I don't have any experience with this either, although given their anatomy, I am surprised this is the first I've heard of it in a bulldog. Did your vet outline how the anti-anxiety meds would help your bully's condition? A quick google search seemed to indicate that surgery to open the larynx was the best long term option for most dogs.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
http://www.godivalabs.com/LP.html this a link of an owners account with his dog and laryngeal paralysis. I hope this helps. If its any consolation my 8mnth olde english does the "goose cough" from time to time. Her first round of testing was negative for trachea abnormalities or any other problem but they said it may become worse or develop over time. For us its a waiting game.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I havent heard of this either but hopefully we will get more familiar feedback on this issue. I too am curious about this and what the vet has to say since it is something new that I havent heard of yet.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Trachea abnormalities are common with"miniature" breeds. With most small breeds being inbred and made to produce this cute but unhealthy looks and breed characterisitcs. Here is a link to common health problems with english bulldogs. I practically wrote a full reference paper before I bred Georgia to make sure I would be prepared for the worst. I'll add more links about the trachea abnormalities too, http://www.engbulldogs.com/bulldog ...www.vetinfo.com/laryngeal-paralysis-dogs.html

Last edited:
OP
Bullyhoo

Bullyhoo

Aug 10, 2010
Thanks All. I'm so very sorry to post that Freida passed away last week after exploratory surgery to correct this problem. She aspirated and passed at the vet. He is a very, very, very experienced with bulldogs so i take comfort in that she had the best care. It's incredibly painful nonetheless. :(

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Oh I am so sorry for your loss, my heart is breaking for you.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Thanks All. I'm so very sorry to post that Freida passed away last week after exploratory surgery to correct this problem. She aspirated and passed at the vet. He is a very, very, very experienced with bulldogs so i take comfort in that she had the best care. It's incredibly painful nonetheless. :(
I am sooo very sorry for your loss.... :heart:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson

Oh no, I am so sorry!

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Oh no... I'm sorry that has happened. You now have an angel watching over you!! Take care...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am deeply saddened by your loss.... I am very glad you don't feel the need to place blame. I think that would be very difficult not to do. If you need anything, please let us know. <o(hug)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh how awful! I cant imagine how you are feeling right now but vent away all you need to here, please. I am so sorry!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.