Other Otis limping and OVERWEIGHT!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Happy 2013 everyone!

My husband has been noticing Otis limping on his left front leg and the past two days or so, so have I. I took him to the vet this morning and he was prescribed some pain med's. The vet asked what have you been giving him for the pain and I said nothing, it doesn't seem to be bothering him and he said, he's limping, thats pain. I felt terrible.

The vet said let's give him the med's and wait a week to see how it does, he said it is very hard to diagnose what could actually be causing it, that maybe it was trauma that he incurred or cartiliage - if in a week it doesn't get beeter we will have to have x-rays done and see if he can determine whats going on.

As far as the weight, he weighed in at 64.8 lbs this morning - Otis will be a year old on the 14th. The vet said to make sure is food is under 23% protein and change to 1 1/4 from 1 1/2 twice a day.

I left the vet feeling like such a bad Mommy. Anyone have a problem with their bully's limping? It seems to be more after he's slept for awhile but onces he's up and playing he's progressively better,

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww don't feel bad or guilty. We do the best for our babies, and the fact that you noticed the limping and took him to the vet shows you love and care for him. Hopefully the meds will help, and it will pass. Maybe he is just stiff after lying in one position for a while when he sleeps, or maybe it's the position he's sleeping in that is causing his leg to either fall asleep or be stiff when he wakes up. Keep us posted on how he does on the meds, and don't worry too much.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We have many Bully's who just start to limp. Often for no noticeable reason. Often just jumping off the furniture can cause it..or playing too hard. I would try to keep hm quite and no long walks or rough housing. You are NOT a bad mom! No way! We do the best we can...now..as far as his weight...you can try frozen green beans as a filler. No calories and makes a great snack! You might also want to check out Vegas Stew. A member here came up ith this and many Bully's have lost weight on it..and love it! Do a search and you will see lots of info about it and I think.. a video too!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
ohhhhhh don't feel bad! He may have landed wrong on it or something. I think he looks good!

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Thank you everyone for your feed back

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
We have many Bully's who just start to limp. Often for no noticeable reason. Often just jumping off the furniture can cause it..or playing too hard. I would try to keep hm quite and no long walks or rough housing. You are NOT a bad mom! No way! We do the best we can...now..as far as his weight...you can try frozen green beans as a filler. No calories and makes a great snack! You might also want to check out Vegas Stew. A member here came up ith this and many Bully's have lost weight on it..and love it! Do a search and you will see lots of info about it and I think.. a video too!

Thank you for the link in Vegas Stew, written down and ready to go! Appreciate your response.

L

Lucy-licious

Don't feel bad....lots of pups get random limps...Billy did just the same and went away on its own with rest and no hard playing. Your Vet sounds like he was in a bad mood and just wanted you to feel bad. It's the God Complex, a lot if people get it, making others feel bad makes them feel important. :hug:

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Oh honey I rushed porky to the vet bcuz she wasn't eating she was limping n she was lethargic I couldn't fathom what could be wrong the vet weighed her looked at me n laughed!!!!!! (Not her regular vet it was an emergency appointment) I said I don't think it's funny so he explained to me until they are 2 and a half they aren't done growing and about every few months she will having growing pains that'll make her not feel well and maybe limp around!!!!! Sure enough he showed me that it was her joints in her front legs that were tender nothing was prescribed but she did fine!!!!!! She's almost a year now and going through another one I'm noticing she is widening out a lottttttttt n all she's wanted to do all week is curl up on top of me and sleep lol!!!!!!! But I'm paranoid so if she sneezes I call the vet lol!!!!! U r not a terrible mommy chances r if u didn't see any trauma n it's not bad it's probably growing pains better be safe than sorry though!!!!! I hope he feels better!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.