Help Needed! My Bullie Has megacolon!!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Thanks [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I have never heard of this, but looked it up on the web -- hopefully, you baby will be OK and home with you in no time. Hugs and prayers for a quick recovery.

[h=3]Treatment[/h]
Most patients affected with megacolon will need to be hospitalized for initial fluid therapy, both to rehydrate the body and to correct electrolyte imbalances. The colon can then be gently evacuated. Your veterinarian will administer anesthesia to your dog, and then manually inject warm water enemas and water-soluble jelly, allowing for the easy extraction of feces with a gloved finger or sponged forceps. If the problem is recurrent or especially severe, and is not responding to medical management, as in the case of irreversible colonic inertia, surgery may be necessary to repair the colon. Most dog can be cured of recurrent megacolon after undergoing subtotal colectomy surgery.

**muah** Thank you.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm late finding this ... I have no experience of this but I hope your bully is feeling much better soon. Sounds like they are in the right place, and with medical treatment that there is a good chance of your bully recovering!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have no experience with this, but from what I have read it sounds like it is manageable.

OP
S

stacif

Jan 1, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
butkus & sparkle
My baby is home. She has passed 10 lbs of bowel!!! Now the doctor wants to keep a close watch on her. X-rays every couple of days and small meals. This has been a nightmare. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers!!

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I bet she's feeling a lot better with all of that out of her. Wow! I'm so glad things have gone well thus far, and we will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Tracy n Winston

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
So glad to hear she is home and well. Hope it was a one time thing; keep us updated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My baby is home. She has passed 10 lbs of bowel!!! Now the doctor wants to keep a close watch on her. X-rays every couple of days and small meals. This has been a nightmare. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers!!

So happy she is back home with you!! Prayers and positive thoughts for her to continue on the road to better thngs

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online