Help Needed! My Bullie Has megacolon!!

stacif

Jan 1, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
butkus & sparkle
Has anyones bullie ever had megacolon. She is in the hospital. They are treating her with enemas and its taking a very long time for her to move her bowels. The doctors are concerned how far she has stretched her colon out. Any help would be appreciated

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh gosh I hope she'll be ok. I have never heard of this. I'll a few people and if they can't help they may know someone. My thoughts are you with and your bully.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Ruckus had a few bouts of constipation. The first time he was in the vets for five days on iv with many enemas. He almost needed surgery to remove the stool. Luckily he started going on his own. We now have a large supply of stool softener on hand. Our vet is concerned about megacolon if it keeps happening.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have never heard of this, but looked it up on the web -- hopefully, you baby will be OK and home with you in no time. Hugs and prayers for a quick recovery.

[h=3]Treatment[/h]
Most patients affected with megacolon will need to be hospitalized for initial fluid therapy, both to rehydrate the body and to correct electrolyte imbalances. The colon can then be gently evacuated. Your veterinarian will administer anesthesia to your dog, and then manually inject warm water enemas and water-soluble jelly, allowing for the easy extraction of feces with a gloved finger or sponged forceps. If the problem is recurrent or especially severe, and is not responding to medical management, as in the case of irreversible colonic inertia, surgery may be necessary to repair the colon. Most dog can be cured of recurrent megacolon after undergoing subtotal colectomy surgery.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm no help here either. So sorry.

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I have never heard of this one before, but from what I hastily googled it seems as if your bully has good chances of getting better with medical care. We will be praying for him! I hate knowing our doggies are hurting.

Megacolon

What is Megacolon?
Dogs with megacolon have a large intestine (colon) with an abnormally increased diameter. The condition can be acquired fromchronic retention of feces, essentially stretching the walls of the colon. The enlarged colon cannot properly move feces, leading toconstipation and blockage. The longer the stool stays in the colon, the more moisture is taken from it, making it harder and even more difficult to move, and stretching the colon further.

How does my dog get Megacolon?
Anything that prevents your dog from defecating as often as he should can cause fecal material to stay in the colon too long, become hardened, build up and stretch the colon walls. These causes can be behavioral (reluctance to defecate in a strange place, such as when being boarded), traumatic (pelvic fractures), or due to debilitating illness that makes defecation difficult.

How do I know if my dog has Megacolon?
Affected dogs do not defecate as often as they should, and when they try, they will strain, often unproductively. Any stools produced are usually abnormally hard and dry. Some diarrhea, which may seep around the edges of the impacted mass, may be produced. The dog may become depressed and may vomit. This is a chronic condition that tends to worsen with time. Your veterinarian will carefully feel your dog's bowel through his abdomen to tell if it is abnormally full. She will also do a rectal examination, and may examine thebladder and urine in case that is the root of the problem. She will check for dehydration. She will take radiographs and perhaps ultrasound of the intestinal area, both of which will show the packed colon. Ultrasound or colonoscopy are superior for determining some possible causes.

What can I do about Megacolon?
Your veterinarian may administer intravenous fluids to correct any dehydration. Your dog may have to be anesthetized to remove the impacted material, which will be done using warm water enemas, gels, and either gloved fingers or forceps. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary. Any underlying causes will need to be corrected as much as possible. Your veterinarian will probably prescribe stool softeners and a drug to improve colon motility. Your dog will be put on a special diet that does not form a lot of bulk. Exercise may improve his intestinal motility. NOTE: Do not be tempted to try enemas at home without advice from your veterinarian. Sodium phosphate retention enemas (such as Fleet) can cause problems with dogs.

Is there anything I can do to prevent my dog from getting Megacolon?
If your dog isn't defecating as he should be, don't adopt a wait and see attitude. The longer he has impacted feces in him, the worse the condition will get. See your veterinarian if there are any changes in your dog’s defecation habits.

Are there certain breeds that get Megacolon more often?
The condition appears to occur equally in all breeds

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I learn something everyday. Thanks for the research , hope your dog gets better soon, gives me belly ache just thinking about it.

L

Lucy-licious

I'm sure your vet will soon have this under control and be able to advise you on future management.

Hope she is feeling much better soon x

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Poor baby! I wish I knew something to help. I'll keep you and your baby in my thoughts. :pray:

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Our vet thought Chunk might have had it back over the summer - the day before we moved into our house. They out him in to a twilight and gave him an enema. Thankfully that helped but he was on laxative and stool softener for a while to be sure. She did explain to me that if it was mega colon, it could be managed with meds. I don't remember exactly what at this point but I think it was laxative/stool softener and something else that helps the muscles so they can "go". I know it's super stressful but rest assured that your baby will be ok, just might need a little extra care. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Did they determine that it's definitely mega colon? Chunk turned out not to have it ... We think it was the grain free diet; since we switched off grain free, he's been fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sorry I can't offer any advice or help regarding this, but I learned something new on here again. Great article from JAKEISGREAT. Just want to offer my thoughts and prayers and send my love, I hope your baby gets better soon. Keep us posted as to how she's doing.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.