Help Needed! 14 week old with cherry eye what should I do?

Artdelee

Jan 1, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozie
I have a 14 week old with cherry eyes. It happened over the last week. First one eye and now both. At first I could put them back on place by hand. Over the last 3 to 4 days it had got worse and I can't put them back. I went and the vet wanted to try eye drops so that's what we are doing they and they are getting worse now his left eye is almost completely covered by the cherry eye. So over the weekend while we are waiting to go back to the vet I call the breeder to get her opinion on what I should do. She said it is very common and she just has them removed, no big deal and she and her other bulldog friend have never had any problems with dry eye. I just need some advice should I try to get them tucked and risk surgery that has low success rate or remove and risk dry eye. Please help. Has anyone else out there had them removed and how's it working out. Thanks

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse was about the same age when hes's first popped out and the vet tried the ointment costing me a fortune for something that didn't work and probably wouldn't work anyway.

We chose not to have it cut out as for the complications this can cause so we went with the op to retuck it back in and 9 months later all is still fine I also spoke to my breeder whom her own pup from the litter had boh eyes from 7 weeks pop out and she advised me againt hving it cut out and just to have the retuck.

I am sure everyone will by soon o give you some advice on this, I hope I have helped you a bit and good luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
L

Lucy-licious

We had Billy's cut, because if the poor success rate and the worry if further ops....he is fine, his eyes look beautiful and so far we have no problems.
the 3rd lid is only responsible for 20% of tear production so its a minimal difference. Like as not pups who get dry eye after surgery would develop it anyway, and it is easily solved with eye drops.

you will get advise on both operations and must make your own decision. We have had no problems with Billy though x

OP
A

Artdelee

Jan 1, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozie
Thanks for your input.��

OP
A

Artdelee

Jan 1, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozie
Im really leaning towards having them removed, I would like to hear form more people that has had them removed. Thanks for all who have responded.

JLBURCH31

Nov 23, 2011
I have a 14 week old with cherry eyes. It happened over the last week. First one eye and now both. At first I could put them back on place by hand. Over the last 3 to 4 days it had got worse and I can't put them back. I went and the vet wanted to try eye drops so that's what we are doing they and they are getting worse now his left eye is almost completely covered by the cherry eye. So over the weekend while we are waiting to go back to the vet I call the breeder to get her opinion on what I should do. She said it is very common and she just has them removed, no big deal and she and her other bulldog friend have never had any problems with dry eye. I just need some advice should I try to get them tucked and risk surgery that has low success rate or remove and risk dry eye. Please help. Has anyone else out there had them removed and how's it working out. Thanks

We have experience with both the removal and "pocket" procedure for cherry eye. Our first bulldog popped a cherry eye as a puppy and our vet snipped (removed) it. Very quick, inexpensive, and little if any recovery time. As Rocky aged he did develop dry eye in BOTH eyes but no difference in the one that had been removed vs the one that had nothing done.

Later with another bulldog we opted for the pocket technique to repair cherry eye. Had to be put under, very uncomfortable for a few days, and it took several months for the eye to look normal.

If I were faced with the decision again I would definitely go with removal.
DSC00313.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Also note that your pup is very young yet, and I would wait as long as possible to get it done, depending on the severity of the case. If its bad you will have to do it sooner of course. Talk it over with your vet. If you can wait until its time to get him neutered would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I have a 10 month old female named Blossom, her right eye developed cherry eye when she was 5 months old, it was a small one in the corner, and like you I was able to massage it in, but over time it wouldn't stay in. I researched on line and asked my vet questions regarding the repair of her eye. My vet has her own technique that she has been doing for over 20 years, and she has a 85 % success rate with stitching it back in. Like others have said, there is a chance of developing dry eye, with removal, and their is also a small risk of reoccurrence with stitching the eyelid back in. All you can do is do your research, and ask your vet many questions, and make an informed decision based on what works best for you, and what you feel comfortable with. The only other advice I can give you is that at 14 weeks old he's definetely too young, and it could still reverse, so I would wait. It is better to wait until he's neutered at about 6 or 7 months of age, and do the surgery at the same time, so you don't have to put him under anesthetic twice, and he heals all at once. It is also cheaper to do all the surgeries at the same time. I spayed Blossom at 7 months and repaired her right eye at the same time, unfortunately a week after the surgery her left eye also popped out, we thought we were free and clear since they came out 3 months apart from each other. We had that eye repaired 3 weeks later , so she had to go through a second surgery. The first surgery cost $850 dollars for both her spay and cherry eye repair, the second surgery to repair just her left eye cost $950 , because she had to be put under anesthetic again, IV fluids, and medications, it would have been cheaper to do all 3 surgeries at the same time, when she was already under anesthetic. Since both of Koozies' eyes are out at the same time, you can do both at the same time as his neuter surgery. Also I used Refresh eye drops from the pharmacy in iBlossoms' eyes until we had them repaired because the tissue is exposed to the air, which causes dryness of the tissue and irritation and watery eyes. It minimizes these symptoms until you have the surgery. Then after the surgery you will get a prescription for an antibiotic cream with a steroid in it help with infection and swelling of the eye. I hope this helps you, and keep us posted. Good Luck.

brit1chick

Nov 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
sophie scarlett
My pup is the same age and has a cherry eye. I didn't realise that 14 weeks was too young to have the op, is that the same if we go for the stitching back option? She is going to the vet on saturday for a referal, so it would be great if I had a bit of knowledge on this. Does the cherry eye hurt them or is it just irritating?

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
We had Porkys removed at 6 months old and she's going on a year now and perfectly fine no dry eye or any complications!!!! It's all a personal decision my vet swayed me to have them removed vs tucked she actually showed me in the office how much extra skin porky had and said she didn't believe tucking would work for her, so if you still aren't sure I'd suggest having a pre op appointment with your vet to discuss the options good luck oh and one low dose aspirin with food should reduce the swelling enough for you to get the eyes back in, along with warm compresses (run the aspirin by your vet first just to make sure it's ok for your pup)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

Artdelee

Jan 1, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozie
UPDATE, after tons of research and help from you guys we had them removed today. Everything when fine. We felt removing was better than putting him through the surgery. I talked with my breeder And several vets before we done it. And just could not chance them coming back. This is my first bulldog with cherry eye so I appreciate the help. I will keep y'all updated with his progress.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
UPDATE, after tons of research and help from you guys we had them removed today. Everything when fine. We felt removing was better than putting him through the surgery. I talked with my breeder And several vets before we done it. And just could not chance them coming back. This is my first bulldog with cherry eye so I appreciate the help. I will keep y'all updated with his progress.

Awww :) I'm glad he's doing well I couldn't believe how recovery is for removal they said oh don't worry about it if it looks swollen call us I was like huh u just cut her eye wth lol it's amazing how resilient they r :D thank u for the update!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

So hope he is recovering well

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.