Help Needed! Is 10mg Prednisone too much?

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
On Sunday I had to take Reilly to the vet due to a severe ear infection and bacterial infection all over. The doctor prescribed Simplicef antibiotic for 20 days. Also, 10mg Prednisone 2 times a day for 5 days, then 1 every 24 hours, etc etc. I never had him on this high of a dosage of Prednisone before usually its 5 mg, he is 60 pounds. Does anyone think it may be too much? He is acting fine on it and actually his ear infection looks like its cleared already. Still sticking to the regime the vet gave in order to completely clear the infection.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I can only base this on my past experience..my 100 lb Rottie was on a 10mg dosage...let's ask [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I would tend to trust my vet, and if he gave this dose to Reilly then it must be okay. Also Reilly is a big boy, so can probably handle the higher dose. Plus if its just a temporary medication, until he gets better, then I wouldn't worry too much.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
10mg is about average if they are doing the weening. Both my guys were on 20mg at points during the height of their allergies and then weened down to 10mg then to 5 before going off them.

L

Lucy-licious

For extreme allergies and reactions high doses are needed initially...make sure you follow your vets instructions when weening down xx

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah has taken 20mg prednisone starting out then weened down and she is 47 pounds. keep in mind your pet may experience a burst of energy and be more hungry with this dose.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
keep in mind your pet may experience a burst of energy and be more hungry with this dose.

Good point^^^^ they also pee a lot more too

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Good point^^^^ they also pee a lot more too

OMG, you are not kidding. When our Sophie is on it, she will pee in her sleep! I hate it when they need to be on it for one reason or another.

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
thanks everyone. Just wanted to get my mind at ease! sometimes I get worried with vets trying to pull one over on me. especially when you have a bulldog all they see are $$$$$$.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.