Help Needed! has anyone ever had to have their Bullie in a hyperbaric chamber? if so, please respond

robmatliv

Dec 20, 2012
Orange County, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepe
my EB Pepe is in bad shape becasue he is suffering from liver failure. the doctors have no idea what is causing it and this is the second time it has happened (it went undiagnosed the first time too). he is on anti-biotics, medicine and fluids but his bilirubin level is only getting worse.

I am thinking about putting Pepe through hyperbaric chamber oxygen therapy so if anyine has any experience or familiarity with thisw, please let me know what you think about it.

Thanks!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
sorry, I have no experience with it. I hope you get some answers here soon. I would search engine to check threads, we have a member who went through it with her little one and at the moment isn't here to answer questions.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I don't have any experience with it either. Have you tried googling it? You might be able to read up on it by looking specifically for that. I don't know what to say. This has got to be scary! I have no words of wisdom...just words of love. From my home to yours....we are praying things turn around for Pepe.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm so sorry. My only thought is @Twice too.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
my EB Pepe is in bad shape becasue he is suffering from liver failure. the doctors have no idea what is causing it and this is the second time it has happened (it went undiagnosed the first time too). he is on anti-biotics, medicine and fluids but his bilirubin level is only getting worse.

I am thinking about putting Pepe through hyperbaric chamber oxygen therapy so if anyine has any experience or familiarity with thisw, please let me know what you think about it. QUOTE=]

@robmatliv...
I'm so sorry this is happening and I am praying for Pepe. Most Vets know nothing about liver
problems or what to even suggest to do, before you try the chamber, I strongly suggest going to the Yahoo
Support Group, Dog Liver Support @ yahoogroups dot com (Sorry if I've broken the rules for posting a link).

They have saved so many dogs where no Vet could and the dogs are now thriving!

If you are not already doing so, I'd only give distilled water or filtered water to Pepe, also, several SMALL meals
instead of 2 feedings a day...very little protein, again that group will have specific diet reccomendations for you.

GOD be watching over you & Pepe...please keep us updated on his progress and GOD bless you each and every day!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, my name is Monica, just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you and Pepe are going through this. Sending love and prayers that he gets better. I didn't know anything about hyper baric pressure treatments, but I googled it for you, and this is some of the information I found on the subject. It involves breathing oxygen under increased air pressure,it, helps slow down the progression of diseases. Oxygen is the healing element in the atmosphere, and breathing 100% oxygen allows extra oxygen to be absorbed into the tissues, which repairs damaged tissues. It is used to treat multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's , dementia, gangrene, burns, diabetes, liver disease, and many other diseases and ailments.
The oxygen saturates 98% of the oxygen carrying protein in our blood, the hemoglobin. The body is exposed to 100 to 300% oxygen, 15 times the amount in our air as the pressure is increased, all the remaining oxygen is dissolved in the liquid portion of the blood, which is then delivered to all the tissues in the body. This speeds up healing at any sites of injury, including bone, soft tissue, brain, spinal cord, heart and liver. It stops inflammation and swelling, infections, clears toxins, and regenerates tissues .

So as far as I can see it has a lot of benefits, and uses oxygen, which our bodies already use, so there is no danger of side effects from medications, or anything that is invasive to the body. The only cons I read were it could cause some ear damaged due to the pressure, and could cause a seizure in 10% of cases, if used for more than 30 min intervals. A 10 minute break breathing normal air should be taken after every 30 mins of breathing the oxygenated air. Hope this helps. You can Google it as well if you want more information. Good luck in whatever you choose. I think you are a great Bully parent to be considering alternative treatments and options, and I think it is a very cool treatment option. I learned something new looking up this information.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience either, but want to send my prayers and support to you and Pepe.

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
It sounds like a scary treatment for a little dog, but if it can help him... there isn't anything I wouldn't do for my baby. I have no information to add; just my prayers for Pepe to get better.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis

I am thinking about putting Pepe through hyperbaric chamber oxygen therapy so if anyine has any experience or familiarity with thisw, please let me know what you think about it.

Thanks!

I have never heard of oxygen as a treatment for liver disease. Is this something the doctor has suggested? The only inpatient treatment I have ever heard of for elevated bilirubin is photogenic treatment.

Do you have an animal hospital near you? You might want to consider taking him to an internal medicine doctor for advice on your next steps. Most regular vets aren't trained for these specific diseases.

Have they run a bile acid test on him? If they did was it normal?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.