General Question fritos anyone??? dealing with yeast I think?

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
so Mr. Tank smells like a Frito factory erupted on him and anywhere he goes. Its not very pleasant. :unsure: His wrinkles look fine and i'm not seeing any irritation or redness. His chin on the other hand is pretty red but other than that i don't see any signs of irritation on him. He is licking like crazy. He just finished up on a round of steroids and antibiotic through 2 shots and a few pills. could this be from the antibiotics or do you think its food allergies acting up again?? he is now on Earth born Holistic Great Plains Feast. With no irritation is this yeast? every other time we've dealt with it there was visible signs. Hes getting a oatmeal bath today and i have some witch hazel we are going to use on him. any other suggestions?

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Sounds like it could be yeast. Check his ears and tail pocket too. It could be caused by food allergies. To minimize yeast problems you have to change the dog's skin PH balance. To do that, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar (folks here swear by Apple Cider Vinegar - ACV - with the mother still in it - since it has the additional benefits from the vitamins. If he doesn't like the change in the water's taste, start small and increase the amount of vinegar slowly. That should help eliminate the yeast colony and keep it gone.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes... yeast it is! smells like fritos or corn chips..... bath and witch hazel is a good start

[MENTION=3502]NigelsMom[/MENTION] posted this on Facebook last week

Must Share -

If you do the 'sniff test' and your pet's paws smell like Fritos/Corn Chips, then yes, its a yeast problem - by doing the following (yeast are living things) you need to kill off the Yeast Colony -

1) 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 part hydrogen peroxide - 2 parts water solution, and 'PICKLE' their paws (when working with the solution, you will definitely understand the 'Pickled Paws' LOL) use a flat bottomed bowl and make your pet stand and soak each paw - spreading the toes, and massaging to make sure the solution soaks the paw - I make ups about 4 cups of the solution at a time, and you can use it multiple times before discarding.

Pickle the paws 2 times a day to get it under control, then treat as necessary, if you start smelling the corn chip odor.

2) clean all bedding - in the washer or the problem will keep coming back - licking the paws.

Yeast needs WARM MOISTURE to multiply - keep them paws dry - and pickling them, your pet will tend not to lick them as much!

Last edited:
OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yes... yeast it is! smells like fritos or corn chips..... bath and witch hazel is a good start

@NigelsMom posted this on Facebook last week

Must Share -

If you do the 'sniff test' and your pet's paws smell like Fritos/Corn Chips, then yes, its a yeast problem - by doing the following (yeast are living things) you need to kill off the Yeast Colony -

1) 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 part hydrogen peroxide - 2 parts water solution, and 'PICKLE' their paws (when working with the solution, you will definitely understand the 'Pickled Paws' LOL) use a flat bottomed bowl and make your pet stand and soak each paw - spreading the toes, and massaging to make sure the solution soaks the paw - I make ups about 4 cups of the solution at a time, and you can use it multiple times before discarding.

Pickle the paws 2 times a day to get it under control, then treat as necessary, if you start smelling the corn chip odor.

2) clean all bedding - in the washer or the problem will keep coming back - licking the paws.

Yeast needs WARM MOISTURE to multiply - keep them paws dry - and pickling them, your pet will tend not to lick them as much!

Thanks! i have all that on hand so i will do that today also

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Sounds like it could be yeast. Check his ears and tail pocket too. It could be caused by food allergies. To minimize yeast problems you have to change the dog's skin PH balance. To do that, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar (folks here swear by Apple Cider Vinegar - ACV - with the mother still in it - since it has the additional benefits from the vitamins. If he doesn't like the change in the water's taste, start small and increase the amount of vinegar slowly. That should help eliminate the yeast colony and keep it gone.

"ACV - with the mother still in it -" what do you mean by the mother still in it? i have the stuff you cook with will that work?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I swear by Malacetic Otic for any skin problem it works great! Witch Hazel does to but I like the other better!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
"ACV - with the mother still in it -" what do you mean by the mother still in it? i have the stuff you cook with will that work?

the stuff you cook with will work for the PH balance part. The stuff I mentioned above is found at health food and probably pet food stores and used as a nutritional supplemental. I use plain old vinegar from the grocery store.It works for my dogs and I don't fix what's not broken.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
the stuff you cook with will work for the PH balance part. The stuff I mentioned above is found at health food and probably pet food stores and used as a nutritional supplemental. I use plain old vinegar from the grocery store. Some here consider me a bad bulldog mommie because of that and the fact I fee Taste of the Wild and it's made by a manufacturer who did a recall last year. It works for my dogs and I don't fix what's not broken.

:nope: I bet no one here considers you a Bad Bully Mommy! Nope...no way no how.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
if i do the vinegar in the water is it safe for my cats? for some reason the cats wont drink out of anything BUT tanks bowl.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
the stuff you cook with will work for the PH balance part. The stuff I mentioned above is found at health food and probably pet food stores and used as a nutritional supplemental. I use plain old vinegar from the grocery store. Some here consider me a bad bulldog mommie because of that and the fact I fee Taste of the Wild and it's made by a manufacturer who did a recall last year. It works for my dogs and I don't fix what's not broken.

Not true.... we have all always said what works for one may not work for others and to do what is best for you bully. No one has ever said you are a 'bad bully mama' for those things.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
well ya also can make up a Big Batch of Spinach Dip................ :excited: oh...sorry, that's if you actually *HAVE* Fritos in the house...and are hungry :p

(we just made a double batch for the big game tomorrow night !) :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.