Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 29

Thread: fritos anyone??? dealing with yeast I think?

  1. #1
    Pet Sitter theparrisfive's Avatar
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    355
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default fritos anyone??? dealing with yeast I think?

    so Mr. Tank smells like a Frito factory erupted on him and anywhere he goes. Its not very pleasant. His wrinkles look fine and i'm not seeing any irritation or redness. His chin on the other hand is pretty red but other than that i don't see any signs of irritation on him. He is licking like crazy. He just finished up on a round of steroids and antibiotic through 2 shots and a few pills. could this be from the antibiotics or do you think its food allergies acting up again?? he is now on Earth born Holistic Great Plains Feast. With no irritation is this yeast? every other time we've dealt with it there was visible signs. Hes getting a oatmeal bath today and i have some witch hazel we are going to use on him. any other suggestions?

  2. #2
    Dog Groomer
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    608
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: fritos anyone??? dealing with yeast I think?

    Sounds like it could be yeast. Check his ears and tail pocket too. It could be caused by food allergies. To minimize yeast problems you have to change the dog's skin PH balance. To do that, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar (folks here swear by Apple Cider Vinegar - ACV - with the mother still in it - since it has the additional benefits from the vitamins. If he doesn't like the change in the water's taste, start small and increase the amount of vinegar slowly. That should help eliminate the yeast colony and keep it gone.

  3. #3
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,169
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11505

    Default Re: fritos anyone??? dealing with yeast I think?

    Yes... yeast it is! smells like fritos or corn chips..... bath and witch hazel is a good start

    @NigelsMom posted this on Facebook last week

    Must Share -

    If you do the 'sniff test' and your pet's paws smell like Fritos/Corn Chips, then yes, its a yeast problem - by doing the following (yeast are living things) you need to kill off the Yeast Colony -

    1) 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 part hydrogen peroxide - 2 parts water solution, and 'PICKLE' their paws (when working with the solution, you will definitely understand the 'Pickled Paws' LOL) use a flat bottomed bowl and make your pet stand and soak each paw - spreading the toes, and massaging to make sure the solution soaks the paw - I make ups about 4 cups of the solution at a time, and you can use it multiple times before discarding.

    Pickle the paws 2 times a day to get it under control, then treat as necessary, if you start smelling the corn chip odor.

    2) clean all bedding - in the washer or the problem will keep coming back - licking the paws.

    Yeast needs WARM MOISTURE to multiply - keep them paws dry - and pickling them, your pet will tend not to lick them as much!
    Last edited by 2BullyMama; 12-29-2012 at 12:06 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  4. #4
    Pet Sitter theparrisfive's Avatar
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    355
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: fritos anyone??? dealing with yeast I think?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Yes... yeast it is! smells like fritos or corn chips..... bath and witch hazel is a good start

    @NigelsMom posted this on Facebook last week

    Must Share -

    If you do the 'sniff test' and your pet's paws smell like Fritos/Corn Chips, then yes, its a yeast problem - by doing the following (yeast are living things) you need to kill off the Yeast Colony -

    1) 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 part hydrogen peroxide - 2 parts water solution, and 'PICKLE' their paws (when working with the solution, you will definitely understand the 'Pickled Paws' LOL) use a flat bottomed bowl and make your pet stand and soak each paw - spreading the toes, and massaging to make sure the solution soaks the paw - I make ups about 4 cups of the solution at a time, and you can use it multiple times before discarding.

    Pickle the paws 2 times a day to get it under control, then treat as necessary, if you start smelling the corn chip odor.

    2) clean all bedding - in the washer or the problem will keep coming back - licking the paws.

    Yeast needs WARM MOISTURE to multiply - keep them paws dry - and pickling them, your pet will tend not to lick them as much!
    Thanks! i have all that on hand so i will do that today also

  5. #5
    Pet Sitter theparrisfive's Avatar
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    355
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: fritos anyone??? dealing with yeast I think?

    Quote Originally Posted by linwhite View Post
    Sounds like it could be yeast. Check his ears and tail pocket too. It could be caused by food allergies. To minimize yeast problems you have to change the dog's skin PH balance. To do that, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar (folks here swear by Apple Cider Vinegar - ACV - with the mother still in it - since it has the additional benefits from the vitamins. If he doesn't like the change in the water's taste, start small and increase the amount of vinegar slowly. That should help eliminate the yeast colony and keep it gone.

    "ACV - with the mother still in it -" what do you mean by the mother still in it? i have the stuff you cook with will that work?

  6. #6
    Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    sweetpeasmom2008's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,518
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: fritos anyone??? dealing with yeast I think?

    I swear by Malacetic Otic for any skin problem it works great! Witch Hazel does to but I like the other better!

  7. #7
    Dog Groomer
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    608
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: fritos anyone??? dealing with yeast I think?

    Quote Originally Posted by theparrisfive View Post
    "ACV - with the mother still in it -" what do you mean by the mother still in it? i have the stuff you cook with will that work?
    the stuff you cook with will work for the PH balance part. The stuff I mentioned above is found at health food and probably pet food stores and used as a nutritional supplemental. I use plain old vinegar from the grocery store.It works for my dogs and I don't fix what's not broken.
    Last edited by linwhite; 12-29-2012 at 02:11 PM.

  8. #8
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: fritos anyone??? dealing with yeast I think?

    Quote Originally Posted by linwhite View Post
    the stuff you cook with will work for the PH balance part. The stuff I mentioned above is found at health food and probably pet food stores and used as a nutritional supplemental. I use plain old vinegar from the grocery store. Some here consider me a bad bulldog mommie because of that and the fact I fee Taste of the Wild and it's made by a manufacturer who did a recall last year. It works for my dogs and I don't fix what's not broken.

    I bet no one here considers you a Bad Bully Mommy! Nope...no way no how.

  9. #9
    Pet Sitter theparrisfive's Avatar
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    355
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: fritos anyone??? dealing with yeast I think?

    if i do the vinegar in the water is it safe for my cats? for some reason the cats wont drink out of anything BUT tanks bowl.

  10. #10
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,169
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11505

    Default Re: fritos anyone??? dealing with yeast I think?

    Quote Originally Posted by linwhite View Post
    the stuff you cook with will work for the PH balance part. The stuff I mentioned above is found at health food and probably pet food stores and used as a nutritional supplemental. I use plain old vinegar from the grocery store. Some here consider me a bad bulldog mommie because of that and the fact I fee Taste of the Wild and it's made by a manufacturer who did a recall last year. It works for my dogs and I don't fix what's not broken.
    Not true.... we have all always said what works for one may not work for others and to do what is best for you bully. No one has ever said you are a 'bad bully mama' for those things.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  11. #11
    Dog Groomer
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    608
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: fritos anyone??? dealing with yeast I think?

    Quote Originally Posted by theparrisfive View Post
    if i do the vinegar in the water is it safe for my cats? for some reason the cats wont drink out of anything BUT tanks bowl.
    It should be. I have cats too.

  12. #12
    Pet Sitter theparrisfive's Avatar
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    355
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by linwhite View Post
    It should be. I have cats too.
    Thanks

    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •