Other Got a really good look and was surprised at what I found.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is important to brush your bulldogs teeth regularly. I am guilty of not doing this. When I do I just rub the brush in their mouth because of course it is not exactly easy, right?

Well Molly's breath was getting pretty rancid. So I decided to dive in and get a good look with a flashlight. I was appalled at what I found. I am a bad bully mama. :cry:

She had small wads of hair trapped in between her gum and lips. And small wads of it trapped in some of her gums on her teeth. The smell I was smelling was a combo of hair and swollen gums. Poor baby. My laziness has made her uncomfortable. Looks like she will be needing a teeth cleaning very soon.

I have been doing mouth inspections on everyone since I found it on Molly the other day. Only one other bully had it as well, my Tidus, who has super floppy jowels. He had tons trapped in between his teeth. Glad I got it out before the swelling started.

I just wanted to share my experiences on this with you because I never thought it was that important to really lift up those cheek flaps and get a good look around. I feel terrible that I did not notice sooner. :(

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Can't say I ever thought they'd get hair stuck in their gums causing it to get swollen. I was really good at brushing their teeth in the beginning and I have totally slacked off for months now, and I mean months if not a year. :ashamed: Thanks for reminder even if it did come at Molly's expense.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think I found my new years resolution! :up:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I regularly brush my 2 guys teeth, usually twice a week, but that's because I'm a Dental Assistant so I know the importance of cleaning teeth. I started this when I first brought them home, so they would be used to it, and they wouldnt mind it. I had a Jack Russell for 14 years, and I didn't do it with her when she was young, and then when I tried to brush her teeth, she was so vicious, she would growl and try to bite me, so I couldn't do it. She ended up having really bad breath, especially when she got older. I didn't know that they could get hair in their teeth though, I learned something new today, thanks for sharing that information. I also put a liquid in their water that keeps their breath fresh, and it helps to reduce plaque on their teeth , also putting apple cider vinegar in their drinking water helps their breath stay fresh as well

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I have never brushed Ftse's teeth either I will go and get a finger brush first thing Monday Morning when the vets open.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I never thought that they could get hair stuck in their teeth:eek: We haven't brushed Usko's teeth since starting raw feeding, but I guess I have to dive in too to have a look....

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH is VERY resistant to having her teeth messed with. All other bully hygiene she takes like a trooper. But just trying to even look at her teeth sends her scurrying off to her hidey hole bed under the desk.
We did have to have her teeth cleaned by the vet when she first arrived here. And at first she never played with toys or chewed bones. However I did encourage play, and since then she has taken to chewing on nylabones so much her teeth have stayed clean. So much so that the vet was quite pleased at her last checkup.

L

Lucy-licious

Hmmmm...teeth cleaning, now there's a thought :eek:

i have checked their teeth and gums but never thought to clean them. I too shall be getting a finger toothbrush. Good idea [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I guess Banks is a big bone/antler chewer she has not had issue... Lewis checks her teeth once a week or sowhen we are wrestling with her -- they seem clean. and, she had her annual at the beginning of December -- joe said her teeth look great :whew:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Another thing my vet suggests..is a piece of nylon..like pantyhose..wrapped around your pointer finger. It really helps on my whacked out cat..who hates being messed with!

:hmm: Jake has never had hair tho..now Chenille from eating pillow shams and towel binding yes! :biglaugh:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Today I went to Pet Smart and guess what I bought? Yes, toothbrush and toothpaste kit for the boys! Thanks to this post the boys will be having fresh breath for 2013!
:jumpdance:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.