Help Needed! my bully has eczema

sepulvd

Dec 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
bruno
hello every one. i jus received my bully bruno from a family that was neglecting him. they told us he had eczema but the medication hasnt helped and the vet wont see him till the end of jan. wanted to see if i can do anything to help it heal here is a pic and thank you ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356748634.929940.jpg

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
First, I'd think about finding a new vet. does the vet realize the severity of problem? If not, I'd take that picture in and show it to the staff and get that appointment moved up to now if you're set on the vet. Hopefully he/she knows bulldogs.

But aside from that, what has he been eating? Food place a significant role in bulldog health and allergies to his food can cause skin problems. I'm thinking drastic action is needed given the severity of the problem. Maybe putting him on a bland diet for starters and moving him to a high quality grain free food once he settles in a bit. there are forums here on Bulldog health and nutrition and I believe you can find the bland diet recipe there. If not someone more knowledgeable than I will spell it out for you.

There are shampoos and lotions that might help as well. They will be pointed out to you shortly by those who have dealt with similar problems. Good Luck. I think you'll find some help and lots of support here. Thanks for taking this guy in.

Looking at your post, I see that you are in Japan? You may have to mail order food in or make your own. There are recipes on this site too.

Here's the Nutrition & Food section http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/section/dog-food-nutrition-194/

Here's the health section http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/section/bulldog-health-175/

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Isn't there another vet that will see him? He may need an antibiotic to help with this infection.

OP
S

sepulvd

Dec 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
bruno
thanks for the info. i wish am a american living in japan. mot that many english speaking vets. am gonna be calling everyday and hoping for a cancellation

OP
S

sepulvd

Dec 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
bruno
am currenlyy feeding him royal canin. the previous owners had him on puppy chow

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Is there another vet you can go to that lives a little further away? A month is a very long time to wait.

Also what food is he eating? That may give a clue on why his skin is the way it is.

OP
S

sepulvd

Dec 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
bruno
currently feeding royal canin medium breed. not many choices in my area of japan

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
One of my coworkers telefommutes from Japan. She has a bulldog and she orders her dog food from amazon. my reccommendation is if you can't find better food in local petstores that would be that is the first step.

Also, if you can find it, I have found that apple cider vinegar alog with coconut oil have majorly helped the allergies and itchy skin with Mack. There is lots of information on here about both that you should be able to pull up easily though the search feature.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

OP
S

sepulvd

Dec 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
bruno
thank you gonna search . can you ask what food your friend orders becouse alot stuff isnt allowed to be shipped to japan

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh my...NO...this poor baby can't wait a month, needs an antibiotic and NOW!

I don't believe this is eczema either, probably mis'dxed and why med isn't working.

This dog is hurting...please find a Vet that will see Bruno, ASAP. Please keep us
informed and I will keep you & Bruno in my prayers that you find help & healing.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My advice is home cooking for him. RC is full of fillers and is not very good. Most skin problems are caused by wrong food.

L

Lucy-licious

Oh dear he is in a mess poor baby boy :hug:

There are a couple of things I would be thinking of doing in your position. Firstly take the picture along to the vets and see if that will get your appointment sooner or even ask if they have emergency appointments that you can take. In the meantime search for another vet...in case you can get him in somewhere else sooner. A vet is a vet in skin problems...since this is not bully specific dont worry about finding a good bully vet just yet, although of course that could be useful later on xx

I would if I were you clean, thoroughly dry, then clip the area and get all the fur off to around an inch around the wound. This will be difficult though I know, and if its hurts him may need to be left to the vet, but is probably the first thing a vet will do. I'm gonna call for [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]....it looks like its possibly a very large hot spot...she has dealt with them and all manner of skin issues so she will have good advise on how it can be treated until you get to the vet for antibiotics.

If you can get it buy some Hibicleans/hibiscrub.....it's a chlohexidine solution that will kill 99.9% of bacterias so will help...you will need to clean it daily with that. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] will tell you how to use it best and the type of cream you can use on top. Do you think it's itching him? Simple allergy meds can help with itches x

If finding a good food you can get sent in is difficult then you may want to consider raw or home cooked....there are people here who can help with that too

Big hug to you both xx hope he gets to feeling better soon.

Oh and what are the meds you have at the moment?
You are an angel for saving him from a neglectful home :hug:

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Thank you for trying to do the best you can in a difficult situation. My experience with Royal Canin is that it caused my bully the worst allergy / skin problems she ever had. There is a list of better foods on this site, I posted a link to it in my earlier post. If you can't get one of those, try making your own. Stay away from chicken and chicken based foods. Bullys seem to be allergic to that more often than any other protein from what I read on this board. Fish works well for many and should be affordable in Japan. If you have access to a US military base you may be able to find something there or they may be able to special order something for you. If you're in the JET program or something similar, your support system might be able to help you find what you need.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well its hard to tell from the pic but i dont think thats a hot spot. it would be very very wet and that doesnt look that way. could be some type of mange or maybe a bad yeast infection. in any event this dog needs to go to the vet and now. i would be on the phone calling every vet i could find. in the mean time you can do as lucy-licious said and try to get some anti bacterial soap on it. im not sure what they have there but you can go to the pharmacy and ask what they have. hibiclenz is good but not sure what they have there. this is probably food related maybe so i would see about a new food. grain free if you can find something. if not i would see about ordering something in if you can. keep us updated and get that poor baby to the vet asap.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online